Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 22-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Toolite

Book Knowledge vs Experience

There is a difference between book knowledge and actual experience. I do think reading is important but, here is where I think it creates a problem.

Individuals who read about experiences attempt to stand on the other person's experience..or take ownership of that experience because they read it but, that doesnt add up.

A person who reads an experience cant elaborate outside of what they have read and a person who has had the experience can actually answer questions in dept or to a deeper degree because an experience answers question that have not been asked.. Its when you revisit the experience you see different pieces that you didnt see originally.

I would encourage others to seek the experience for themselves because that way no man can sway you back or forth.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!
Old 24-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Experiencer
Yeah I feel that the only thing we should base any of our beliefs on is personal experience, or we're just giving our minds away. I think people are getting back to valuing personal experience though, so that's good news
Old 24-05-2012, 01:54 AM
Master
In my view spiritual reading and understanding, at best, leads to experiencing by opening the mind to what lies beyond it. At worst it hinders by clinging and closing on fixed beliefs.

Xan

Old 24-05-2012, 02:22 AM
Master
Yes I agree with you all, nothing more to say.
Old 24-05-2012, 02:50 AM
MYFIGO

I agree Xan that reading helps to keep my mind open to things I do not know or might not have considered.

Experiencing things myself so that I "know" it is a wonderful and rich adventure. There's a huge difference when I go to share something and I tell someone I have read about it... or if I tell them I "know" it by experience.
Old 24-05-2012, 03:11 AM
Master
Yes... this is exactly what I mean.

Xan

Old 24-05-2012, 05:43 AM
Henri77

For me reading or hearing of others experience expands my belief system.
Though I'm no fan of theoretical texts.

I don't "expect" to achieve what others do, or typically try to, but I've a better idea of a few possibilities that inspire me.

I DO quite envy those who care nothing about 2nd hand knowledge-experience, and much of what I also value was experienced-learned directly.

Some feel we learn in spite of what we "know".... and yes, knowledge can be a barrier to true wisdom. A burden to overcome,

I don't present myself as an authority on many things I share, yet they are still valuable as possible inspiration, if one choose to believe in these possibilities.
Any light source is better than none.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:20 AM
Henri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolite
I would encourage others to seek the experience for themselves because that way no man can sway you back or forth.

This is a fine, admirable sentiment, yet who really does this?
Outside of forest sadhus.

Not being argumentative...as it's an excellent point, but just being realistic...

I've talked with some empaths who rarely read spiritual things, but they're a definite minority, with limited curiosity IMO.

Yet I do admire them, finding all they want from direct experience. (something I could probably learn from)
I'm just too curious, impatient to know more. And yes, suspect it comes at a certain cost.

I feel we CAN learn to discern truth when we read-hear it and while it's not the same as direct experience, can be a valuable source that enriches us.

Teachers, gurus, have and always will tell stories to inspire their students. Books CAN do the same if one exercises inner judgement what to accept and what to question-reject.
Old 24-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Toolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
In my view spiritual reading and understanding, at best, leads to experiencing by opening the mind to what lies beyond it. At worst it hinders by clinging and closing on fixed beliefs.

Xan

spiritual reading doesnt warrant experience.. A person cant paint a picture that they are experienced in that area when they havent experienced it.. or just read plenty of spiritual books regarding the matter because it shows in the end and has not truly done the person justice because we dont get to see that true individual which is and or greater in her/his natural state.

All The Glory Belongs To God Forever!
Old 24-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Toolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri77
For me reading or hearing of others experience expands my belief system.
Though I'm no fan of theoretical texts.

I don't "expect" to achieve what others do, or typically try to, but I've a better idea of a few possibilities that inspire me.

I DO quite envy those who care nothing about 2nd hand knowledge-experience, and much of what I also value was experienced-learned directly.

Some feel we learn in spite of what we "know".... and yes, knowledge can be a barrier to true wisdom. A burden to overcome,

I don't present myself as an authority on many things I share, yet they are still valuable as possible inspiration, if one choose to believe in these possibilities.
Any light source is better than none.

I think when others post experiences on the this forum that is interesting it gives individuals an opportunity to connect with one another..

thats me but, im different in ways but, like you other ways..lol

All The Glory Belongs to God Forever!