Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 06-05-2012, 04:46 AM
Master
How do we know what is real?

The short answer is that we don’t.

One basic problem is that we live inside a system that we call the universe. Further obscuring the picture is that for the most part we rely on a few senses to perceive the universe whatever it might be. Even to conventional science, it is clear that these senses are far from accurate sensors of the world. Engineers have developed sensors that seem to provide much more information about the world than our natural ones. The information provided by our senses is woefully incomplete and more troubling is even much of that is ignored by the brain in order to deal with information overload. Technical sensors capture more about the universe but unfortunately there output still must be transferred to us via our natural senses. Further confusing the picture, the world in our heads is mostly an internal fabrication based only loosely on what the senses report. So even in terms of perceiving what is external to us, we cannot even come close to perceiving what is there should any of it be real.

Then there are a whole rash of issues based on some reasonable evidence that we have independence and discrete integrity. How can one know that we are not just some puppet or virtual character?

So where does that leave us?

From a practical point of view there are several scenarios which may be actual but which we can never correctly know the reality of. The most obvious is if we are a construction of something else that continues to alter our internal state. Or in similar vein, we do exist independently but are controlled by some sort of puppeteer. As what we know can then be altered arbitrarily by outside agents, knowing is not reliable. Similarly, given brain disease or other mental malfunction, knowing is once again compromised. Given that we cannot even be sure we are making a decision in cases like this, from a practical point of view there is no point in considering these cases further as any notion of reality is already suspect.

A common approach is to assume we are real in some sense although there is no real justification other than if that’s not true, there is nothing to discuss anyway. In this situation we are faced with the problem of the senses outlined above where we lack the ability to determine what might be real. Perhaps we don’t need to worry about that and can stay within the bounds of assuming that were are real. From that perspective the important consideration is one of experience. If experience is the important aspect of reality for us, it matters not if the situation from which the experience comes is real or not. Learning something in a fantasy is just as learned if it had come from a real world experience.

Pretty much that leaves us with a shaky assumption that experience is as real as we are, but not the slightest proof that we are in any sense real.

One can attempt a philosophical end-run and bypass the definition of real since we have no sure way to even know what ‘real’ actually might be. This basis of this argument is that since the question can be asked, it must have some kind of reality. Depending on your philosophical foundation, this might or might not be a valid observation. Unfortunately it does lead to the illumination of what a ‘real question’ might be.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:19 AM
Quintessence

Or... you can accept that everything is real. If it can be experienced, known, thought about, or understood by the observer in any fashion, it is real. Instead ask "real in what way" and "does it matter how I answer that question." Also abandon the silly idea that there is such a thing as 100% certainty and that maps accurately represent the territory.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 AM
Master
It is as it is in the way it pertains to anyone's experience.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM
silent whisper

Yes the reality is what it is through the perceptions we hold at any given moment.....In this space we can open to our reality as a changing perception and ever expanding...everything is real and nothing is real...
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Experiencer
Two types of reality, objective and subjective. Objective breaks down to the most basic that should be self evident and incontrovertible.

Do you exist? I'm going to vote yes. Objective reality.

Subjective reality is just that, subjective and entirely personal. It is created by your belief system "about" reality which reflects to you through your experiences interpreted through your senses.

Example belief: "The fundamental nature of man is evil", opposite belief "The fundamental nature of man is good". If someone holds one of these beliefs their entire reality will be created by it and will be subjective. Put two people with these opposing beliefs in the same circumstance and they will experience entirely different realities.

Neither could prove that their reality is "true" since they are both valid but created upon different belief systems. As for me I don't care about proving whether reality is true or not, I just create the reality I prefer to experience.

Love and Light
Old 06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Pathfinder
That's not fair.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Or... you can accept that everything is real. If it can be experienced, known, thought about, or understood by the observer in any fashion, it is real. Instead ask "real in what way" and "does it matter how I answer that question."
This is certainly a practical answer to how to deal with not knowing. These kinds of constructs can help in situations of uncertainty. Declaring that experience is ‘real’ does not imply that one knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintessence
Also abandon the silly idea that there is such a thing as 100% certainty and that maps accurately represent the territory.
Again another good practical observation.

There is something not said in the original post, knowing is not necessary. Many beings with brains like to know their environment completely. This gives them a sense of safety and control. However, it quite clear that even simple reactionary instinct is more than enough for survival. Although the (human) path to spirituality involves a lot of knowing, spirituality is more about being.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Master

I don't think it matters, it's ok not to know everything. I don't know if I'll be alive tomorrow. And if reality is so weak and subjective, then it means is must also be pliable.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Henri77

All human perception is flawed, imperfect, a tentative viewpoint...
The same questions have been asked for eons.
Philosophy is a house of cards IMO. A pleasant diversion ,like chess or checkers.

Yet it's important someone ask questions like this, just to stay alert.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 AM
Master
How do we know what is real?

I asked my former teacher once, "How do I know what's true in all that I experience?"

He said, "The truth is silent."

Xan