Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 29-11-2010, 02:07 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
Soul muscles I like that.
Spiritlite.
i can think of no better way to put it, unless it be Soul's awareness and abilities...you have to practice to become good at it~! so im practicing...
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 29-11-2010, 02:33 AM
Master
Practice makes perfect.
Spiritlite.
Old 29-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritlite
Practice makes perfect.
Spiritlite.
EXACTLY~! so ive got a lot of practicing to do~!
"Not Christian or Jew or Muslim, not Hindu, Buddhist, Sufi, or Zen. Not any religion or cultural system. I am not from the East or the West, not out of the ocean or up from the ground, not natural or ethereal, not composed of elements at all... I belong to the Beloved, have seen the two worlds as one and that one call to and know, first, last, outer, inner, only that breath breathing human being."
Rumi
Old 29-11-2010, 03:05 AM
Master
lol have fun.
Spiritlite.
Old 30-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Racer X

Yoga gets the blood flowing...

It releases endorphins in the brain and so improves the mood throughout the day.

It strengthens the body as it frees the mind.

It is a great practice which helps one "live in the moment" and the more we live in the Now, the better our life becomes and the better our life becomes the better it becomes for all around us.

Yoga is a gift you give yourself and then a gift spread to ALL.

I Love you ALL, take care of yourselves.
Old 30-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Master
thankyou racer although I practice yoga I still love to hear things like this. I love how it does release endorphins in the brain and that you're in the now and it does strengthen my body and free my mind, all what you said.
Spiritlite.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:37 PM
harley's mum

hello forum and please all take the following in the loving spirit in which it is offered from an old yogi rebel...
when most in the west in particular refer and use the word "yoga" they are talking about a group of posture exercises known as asanas... in actual fact the word "yoga" first appeared in the upanishads as yoking but became known as "union in action" and if you would indulge me I will shed some light on the subject;;;

KRIYA YOGA = THE GURU TEACHES THE DISCIPLE PRANAYAMA (the art of breath control)
HATHA YOGA = THE YOGA OF THE BREATH (what is known as "yoga exercises")
RAJA YOGA = THE YOGA OF THE KING (aka "celestial yoga" the yoga of the mind and meditation to create liberation
JNANA YOGA = THE YOGA OF KNOWLEDGE (this form of yoga is very prevalent in the buddhist philosphy of correct thought)
KARMA YOGA = THE YOGA OF ACTION (karma means the fruit of our actions) and for some their fruit is sweet and eaten immediately and for others their fruit is bitter and takes many years or lives to be eaten
YOGA-NIDRA = THE YOGA OF SLEEP (actually a deep meditation)

and if you will indulge me further... the asanas (posture exercises) of HATHA YOGA were actually created by the meditative mountain recluses (shiva included in this description) and they needed to protect themselves from all manner of four legged and two legged beasts and to keep their body supple so they could endure the rigours of meditation... the asanas were given the names of animals which the postures represented but the most essential of all the asanas are a group of postures which when combined create the essence of all HATHA YOGA which is the SURYA NAMASKARA asanas surya being sun and namaskara being salute and in the west is just refered to as the salute to the sun which when mastered correctly is in fact the only HATHA YOGA one needs to perform...!

WELL... THAT'S MY "YOGA" STORY

Last edited by harley's mum : 03-12-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Suspended
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley's mum
the word "yoga" first appeared in the upanishads as yoking but became known as "union in action" and if you would indulge me I will shed some light on the subject;;;

HATHA YOGA = THE YOGA OF THE BREATH (what is known as "yoga exercises")
RAJA YOGA = THE YOGA OF THE KING (aka "celestial yoga" the yoga of the mind and meditation to create liberation
JNANA YOGA = THE YOGA OF KNOWLEDGE (this form of yoga is very prevalent in the buddhist philosphy of correct thought)
KARMA YOGA = THE YOGA OF ACTION (karma means the fruit of our actions) and for some their fruit is sweet and eaten immediately and for others their fruit is bitter and takes many years or lives to be eaten
YOGA-NIDRA = THE YOGA OF SLEEP (actually a deep meditation)...
Thanks for sharing that & for being the kind soul you are, Harley'sMum.

I tried yoga through videos, books & at the gymn. But I didn't realize the power of it until I took a Yoga-Nidra class with a more spiritually-centered teacher. It actually helped teach me about meditation. Surprisingly, what also taught me about meditation before, is when I posed as an art model & had to stay in one position for a long time. Anyway, I love Nidra yoga. The last class I went to (it was a deeply meditative session) & I cried & cried! Is that common?

I feel the need to get back into it. I've been focusing on dance - & can only do so much because of my kids' schedules. But yoga's such a unifying experience, as you mentioned - harmonizing mind & body - beautiful!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:30 AM
harley's mum

TO DEAR PERSPECTIVE, AS I MENTIONED THE MAGIC IS NOT THE ACTUAL ASANA IT'S WHAT HAPPENS AFTER AND WANTED TO ADD TO YOU WHEN YOU HAVE FINISHED RESTING IN POSE OF THE CHILD UNCURL SLOWLY SLOWLY COMING UP STAY ON YOUR KNEES PUT YOUR HANDS SLOWLY FROM YOUR SIDE INTO YOUR LAP JUST SIT... YOU WILL FIND THIS AIDS MEDITATION PRACTICE SURPRISINGLY AS SAID IT IS THE SIMPLE THINGS.. AS I MENTIONED IN MY PREVIOUS YOGA STORY THE PRACTICE OF ASANAS WAS TO ENABLE THE PRACTICER TO ENDURE THE RIGOURS OF MEDITATION ... AND ALSO THE RELEASE CAN BE TEARS OR LAUGHTER AND IS JUST THAT A RELEASE AND ALSO BTW DEAR PERSPECTIVE YOU CAN BUY YOUR OWN YOGA-NIDRA CD AND HUMBLY SUGGEST GO ONTO THE www.satyananda.com AND ENTER YOGA-NIDRA INTO SEARCH AND CHOOSE WHICH OF THE CD'S YOU LIKE THE SOUND OF AND YOU CAN PRACTICE AT HOME EVERY DAY AND TO ALL OUT THERE THE REASON I RECOMMEND SATYANANDA SITE IS SWAMI SATYANANDA WAS THE REBEL YOGI WHO BROUGHT THE PRACTICE OF YOGA-NIDRA INTO THE LIGHT AND WAS MOST OUTCAST BY THE YOGA HEIRARCHY FOR DOING SO AS WE SHOULD BE MOST GRATEFUL...ENOUGH SAID AND REMEMEBER...BREATHE

Last edited by harley's mum : 03-12-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 22-01-2011, 01:14 AM
eptah

amazing when I read the response by Perspective
rather the final line that she wrote.
I could see she missed your point totally.
Abating my eagerness to respond..
I see you have done so eloquently.

I met Swami Satyananda in Mungher.
It was quite the journey with a story.
Having been his presence
was an illumination.

Namaste