Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 10-04-2020, 07:12 PM
Master
Cause and effect/free will

Hello,

Some thoughts and reflections were going through my mind upon life, experiences lived, and where I am at at present.

A question and thought came to me.

How much of the decisions made and actions taken were actually free will and how much was cause and effect? (As best I can word it right now)

There is talk of free will. Come across how "we" have free will. This may be true in making decisions as to what action to take or direction to take.
What created the decision that is/was made?

Meaning, are the decisions based upon a freedom to do as we like or upon events and circumstances leading up to the decision made? Like, I acted in such a way because was taught to act in such a way or prior experiences conditioned me to act in such a way.

Now personally I believe in cause andeffect. If free will being possibly just a desire to have control, then I question it. I don't at times, most times, IMO.
Yes, can make efforts to change and adjust, but are these also cause and effect?

I find it interesting that these thoughts come to me now.

Perhaps had more time to self reflect and notice patterns with in me. Decisions made affected direction/action taken. Felt free to make the decisions, but wonder how much was influenced by what was experienced prior.

Anyways, placing these thoughts questions here.

Doe we truly have free-will? How much is influenced by cause and effect?

Appreciate you taking the time to read this

Sharing of thoughts and insights welcomed.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:24 PM
Master
Do we really have free will? Yes Moonglow! :) That is a vital aspect of the soul evolution process we’re here to engage in. We also have ‘soul contracts’ and that may be why it seems fate rather than free will is at play. What I will say about that is we have free will when it comes to making those contracts in the first place. So again, yes.

Now cause and effect... that’s taking this conversation to the next level. It could be this is the inspiration for your questions and post. I‘ve been submerged in all of the above for months now, and I am happy to share my findings, and discuss how this might relate to your life.

And relate to the world, which is quite obviously now calling and crying out for souls to truly begin that next level understanding journey. And we can help the world, and cause and effect is one of the keys. It is a tool we can learn to use to evolve this planet, evolve our soul understanding, and ultimately our collective consciousness. That is the task now, that could be what you are moving towards now, it’s a soul calling from my experience. And questions like yours I think of as the soul — the Higher Self or I, however one describes it — gently nudging the slumbering Self to a waking state.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Master

the fundamental problem is that when you look at it you can't tell the difference between the two. There is no way to know for any given activity, am I acting freely, or is it predetermined? Because there is no untangling the myriad and often extremely subtle causes and effects that run rampant in our lives.

The only thing I have found that makes any difference to this is the notion that if you act as if you don't have it, you may end up without it. But that still doesn't answer the question, do you, or don't you have it?

I 'get' that some of the ancients wrapped this in the question, do you have life, or do you have death? Free will being life, and absence of free will being death. Because living things can grow and change and become in spite of their surroundings... where as dead things just react to their surroundings.

One of the things I'm remembering on that topic is that Jesus said 'I come that you should have life, and have it more abundantly'. If he knew what he was talking about, then maybe it is true and we do or are in the process of becoming
Old 10-04-2020, 09:06 PM
Master

I don't see "free-will" contrasted with "cause-effect". Probably we give those words different meaning.

I believe that we not only have free-will, but that we create the reality we perceive. The fact that it isn't as we'd like, is caused by our lack of contact with the other levels of our personality. Our subconscious creates the reality we perceive, based on inputs from, and agreements with, various sources.

When I say "we" I refer to the conscious layer of our personality.

What we perceive as cause-effect, isn't exactly what appears to be, as our present can influence our past, not only the other way around (a.k.a cause-effect); and this happens all the time. It is just that our conscious is so deepened into this virtual reality, that it identifies with the character it plays (like when reading a captivating book, when for a moment you vicariously live through its characters; or like when we're dreaming and have no idea of the awake us).
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallingLeaves
The only thing I have found that makes any difference to this is the notion that if you act as if you don't have it, you may end up without it. But that still doesn't answer the question, do you, or don't you have it?
The appearance of lack of free-will comes from the fact that our ego (conscious layer of our personality) isn't in an assertive relation with our subconscious, the subconscious agree to suggestions and reasoning it gets from other sources, co-creators of our (virtual) "physical-reality". In most cases the ego is like a petulant child.
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:36 PM
ant

Any bad decisions and or bad life choices one made in life,was because lessons were still to be learned.

Any good decisions and or good life choices made in life,was because lessons were learned.

Hence,the universe has a hand in the cycle of life.

Look back in life in hindsight.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:39 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I believe that we not only have free-will, but that we create the reality we perceive. The fact that it isn't as we'd like, is caused by our lack of contact with the other levels of our personality. Our subconscious creates the reality we perceive, based on inputs from, and agreements with, various sources.
Yes, this is critical really, the soul is not really free until then, you could even say the soul cannot experience true free will in that state, either. Until then, it is unconsciously reacting to life, mentally and emotionally. True freedom is the reborn soul, having healed and resolved that issue of lack of contact. Very clearly explained, thank you, I lit up inside reading that. :)
Old 10-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Master
You begin loving somebody. Is that cause and effect or is it free will?

As you look around, you realize there are others you could love but for some reason you picked this person. Once more, was it cause and effect or was it free will?

If it was cause and effect, what the cause for the love?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 10-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
You begin loving somebody. Is that cause and effect or is it free will?

As you look around, you realize there are others you could love but for some reason you picked this person. Once more, was it cause and effect or was it free will?

If it was cause and effect, what the cause for the love?
Procreation?
Old 10-04-2020, 11:01 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile
Do we really have free will? Yes Moonglow! :) That is a vital aspect of the soul evolution process we’re here to engage in. We also have ‘soul contracts’ and that may be why it seems fate rather than free will is at play. What I will say about that is we have free will when it comes to making those contracts in the first place. So again, yes.

Now cause and effect... that’s taking this conversation to the next level. It could be this is the inspiration for your questions and post. I‘ve been submerged in all of the above for months now, and I am happy to share my findings, and discuss how this might relate to your life.

And relate to the world, which is quite obviously now calling and crying out for souls to truly begin that next level understanding journey. And we can help the world, and cause and effect is one of the keys. It is a tool we can learn to use to evolve this planet, evolve our soul understanding, and ultimately our collective consciousness. That is the task now, that could be what you are moving towards now, it’s a soul calling from my experience. And questions like yours I think of as the soul — the Higher Self or I, however one describes it — gently nudging the slumbering Self to a waking state.

Hi Baile,

I also feel "we" have free will on a certain level. One being decision making.

I am also looking at what influences those decisions. What comes to me is cause and effect has influences over decisions made and deciding upon what actions to take.

They are more or less intertwined.

So, looking at these thoughts wonder just how much is influenced by past actions and will venture to say past lives influence the decisions one may make.

Even on a soul level. What does the soul base its decision upon? To come here with a purpose or to have a purpose, aren't t these influenced by what has come or experienced(cause) before and the results (effect) of those experiences?

To me it is not only a tool, but an understanding. To know or have an idea where one/soul is to go and do, feel to be aware of what has been experienced and the possible effects of ones action is important.

Yes, can see it as gently nudging the self to pay attention.

Because, I am seeing at present how cause and effect and "free will" are intertwined, brought me to question just how much "free will" we have. Playing with the thoughts a bit. If it is free will or responding off of what has come before and the results there of. Perhaps both? Also, what plays into my reflections is some things I simply don't control, but how I adjust to them, I can.

I do welcome further insights from you.

Thank you for sharing