Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Quotes & Stories

Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM
astroboy

How many languages do you speak?

Sometimes we can speak alot more than we can read or write in a particular language. Here's a quote which needs to be translated into as many languages as possible, only the ones you truly speak, read or write.

I know one can use the Babelfish Language Translator and get away with it but honesty is the best policy. Give it a shot. It's not easy and a challenge. If you're up for a challenge, then translate the quote below, into languages that you know without loosing its meaning:

"No man ever steps in the same river twice,
for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
Heraclitus

If you wish to discuss the quote first, you may do so. I encourage it as the meaning can be different to different people.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:04 PM
astroboy

No respond from anyone because it was tough. Agreed. Now here's a simpler one. Translate the following phrase:-

Every moment waited is a moment wasted.

I go first.

In Punjabi: Jinne pal udeekay, onne barbaad keetay.

In Thai : Law vinathi ke khrang, ko pen seeya eaing.

In Malay: Berapa saat di tunggu, ianya hanya dibazirkan.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy
Sometimes we can speak alot more than we can read or write in a particular language. Here's a quote which needs to be translated into as many languages as possible, only the ones you truly speak, read or write.

I know one can use the Babelfish Language Translator and get away with it but honesty is the best policy. Give it a shot. It's not easy and a challenge. If you're up for a challenge, then translate the quote below, into languages that you know without loosing its meaning:

Heraclitus

No hombre se pisan en el mismo rio dos veces, por que es un otro rio y un otro hombre.

If you wish to discuss the quote first, you may do so. I encourage it as the meaning can be different to different people.

There you go in Spanish.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:53 PM
astroboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
There you go in Spanish.
Smart trick!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:23 PM
Knower
Mmmmmmm .... http://translate.google.com/ there you go :) at times it is wiser to teach a person to fish than feed him for the rest of his life
Old 07-06-2011, 03:25 PM
Knower
Ooops forgot to mention with regard to your quote ... Neither the man nor the river exist ............ rotfl
Old 07-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique Enigma
Mmmmmmm .... http://translate.google.com/ there you go :) at times it is wiser to teach a person to fish than feed him for the rest of his life

Ah ha!!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:55 PM
astroboy

Quote:
Heraclitus

Punjabi: Koi vee banda ossey nadi vich paierr nahi tharda,
kyu ke nadi vi oh nahi rehndee atey banda vee oh nahi rehndaa.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Time

Es que tu parler francais? LOL

Even learning french for 15 years, thats the best I can come up with!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
LightFilledHeart

I minored in French in college. [My major at the time was English Lit, and you'd be surprised how many old English texts have PAGE and PAGE of untranslated French in them...!] I still know the basics of that language, but I've forgotten more than I remember! Mostly I speak American (which is somewhat different from the Queen's Enlglish! ) and a goodly amount of Dog, in which I've become quite proficient