Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 28-01-2015, 08:28 AM
Newbie ;)

Question Dropping Pant sizes but still weighing the same?

Hey guys so I noticed something strange I went from a size 16 to a 10 but I still weigh the same,if that the scale says bigger and only see a slight change in my stomach nothing big and everything else still looks the same? I was wearing Forever 21 plus size pants and realized the 12s were loose on me that I would need a belt.Well I still didn't fit in regular sizes yet so I went to H&M there largest regular size semi fit I could button it and zip it but it went half ways past my hips but it gave me a little muffin top which I never had.So I tried new york and company I fit in a size 10 in there jeans.I'm just really confused.If anything I still feel like I'm a size 16.But I can fit in small/medium/large shirt sizes

I have a medium/large hourglass/pear shaped body
bust sizes runs a 38 DD
I have a larger bottom and legs tho
Old 28-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Master

Without commenting on your particular body, I can affirm that a body's measurements can change considerably without the weight budging much up or down. The most common reason, I think, is that people start exercising and then the surplus fat gets exchanged for muscle. Not only does muscle move to other places on the body than the fat, but muscle weighs more per cubic unit. So you get slimmer and better built, but might not weigh less. The opposite happens if someone who are regularly physically active switch to the life in front of the tv. Finally keep in mind that some of the body's bulges can be mostly lard for some people and mostly muscle for others. Human genes, yay.
Old 28-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Master

Without knowing the facts ....

Muscle weighs more than fat. So you could lose fat but with muscle gain (i.e. through exercise, weight training) counterbalancing the fat loss, you could lose body mass, but still weigh the same.

The other possibility is clothing manufacturers manipulating dress size labelling to make them more appealing to customers.

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 29-01-2015, 01:30 AM
Master
Yes, after all if you loose 10 pounds of body fat but gain 10 pounds of muscle, you weigh the same, can perhaps wear a smaller size clothes and are a bit more fit.
Old 29-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulstor
Yes, after all if you loose 10 pounds of body fat but gain 10 pounds of muscle, you weigh the same, can perhaps wear a smaller size clothes and are a bit more fit.

I would say this is probably the best answer.

Also, what kind of scale are you using? Buy yourself a really good scale. My scale at home is 3-5 pounds off the one at my Doctors office. My doc as the HUGE digital scales. I use to own those really cheap scales that cost 10-15 bucks in many stores, usually those are 10 pounds off from the Docs.

It's best to use a measuring strip to get actual inch measurements. Also, keep in mind, a lot of stores do purposely alter the size tag. For example, one particular store will have actual size 6 pants labeled as a size 4 on the tag. For the buyer, it gives them a strong sense of confidence, probably increasing their chances of buying again. I personally hate that. I know a few stores that do that, and I read about it on the news.
Old 29-01-2015, 05:04 PM
crestfallen

This has happened to me before! I would lose dress sizes but once I step on the scale, I balk that it's either the same number or it climbed even higher than before I started exercising! Remember that muscles weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space and you need those muscles anyway to keep trim and healthy.

If the weight really bothers you, keep these two in mind:
1.) Your diet is a whopping 70% to 80% at fault for your weight. So even if someone were to exercise like a madman, if they eat the wrong food, their weight won't budge. Eat clean and do the 80/20 rule for the clean eating plan- 80% clean health food, 20% junk food for fun. :-) By the way, I'm not saying this because I'm doubting that you're already eating right, but eating clean really helped me in managing my weight. Also, look up "metabolism boosting foods", those are always awesome!

2.) Cardio, cardio, cardio. Weight training is amazing, but please keep it as balanced as possible with fun cardio activities such as running, swimming, dancing, and so on. Cardio helped me in lowering the weight numbers while weight training aids in tightening, toning, and strengthening all of you, as well as cutting calories out after a tough workout.
Old 29-01-2015, 06:06 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestfallen
This has happened to me before! I would lose dress sizes but once I step on the scale, I balk that it's either the same number or it climbed even higher than before I started exercising! Remember that muscles weigh more than fat, it just takes up less space and you need those muscles anyway to keep trim and healthy.

If the weight really bothers you, keep these two in mind:
1.) Your diet is a whopping 70% to 80% at fault for your weight. So even if someone were to exercise like a madman, if they eat the wrong food, their weight won't budge. Eat clean and do the 80/20 rule for the clean eating plan- 80% clean health food, 20% junk food for fun. :-) By the way, I'm not saying this because I'm doubting that you're already eating right, but eating clean really helped me in managing my weight. Also, look up "metabolism boosting foods", those are always awesome!

2.) Cardio, cardio, cardio. Weight training is amazing, but please keep it as balanced as possible with fun cardio activities such as running, swimming, dancing, and so on. Cardio helped me in lowering the weight numbers while weight training aids in tightening, toning, and strengthening all of you, as well as cutting calories out after a tough workout.

I so agree. I use to run marathons. I didn't lose a single pound. I acutally gained more weight in the course of training. You could run a million miles, but your diet is 80% responsible for weight loss/gain. Not just whats in your diet, but proportions and quantities. Get an actual measuring cup and see how much 1 cup actually is. Its very small. Most cups and plastic cups in the market and restaurants measure at 2 and a half cup servings