Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 10-08-2021, 06:57 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
? Your post makes no sense. I was returning the question about asking what you see with Christ on the Cross.

I know judgment is a tainted word in spirituality but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There is something to be said for discrimination, i.e. not blind acceptance which holds the risk of being brainwashed.

As I said, I see "acceptance" when I look at the Cross. Acceptance, which I have sought to explain in about 100 posts since joining the Forum. From experience the catalyst for genuine transformation. Paradoxical I know.

Yes, acceptance and judgement are in many ways opposites.

Discrimination can follow acceptance.

Obviously I'm pretty poor at explaining myself, but as I see it, from observation, most people who spend their lives discriminating, judging, building their little tower of "self", are the most brainwashed of all.

Sorry, it has really been a long tiring day.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:33 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
As I said, I see "acceptance" when I look at the Cross. Acceptance, which I have sought to explain in about 100 posts since joining the Forum. From experience the catalyst for genuine transformation. Paradoxical I know.

Yes, acceptance and judgement are in many ways opposites.

Discrimination can follow acceptance.

Obviously I'm pretty poor at explaining myself, but as I see it, from observation, most people who spend their lives discriminating, judging, building their little tower of "self", are the most brainwashed of all.

Sorry, it has really been a long tiring day.
Thanks for replying, given your long tiring day. No rush in responding (if indeed, you feel you need to).

Acceptance is a very basic response that doesn't engage any understanding of a situation e.g. what seeing Christ on the cross entails.

Of course I accept the situation i.e. am not resisting it but that is a low level response to a highly dramatic event! To seek to understand the crucifixion i.e. what is seen and its significance (if that's possible, i.e. given the quandary I mentioned) is a much deeper motivation that allows for insights and higher appreciation.

Incidentally, I am very wary of the 'little tower of self' and don't nurture my ego. I'm motivated to find the truth of a situation (wherever possible), since I'm a realist, rather than bolstering/propagating a view that might be outmoded and need reappraising.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:29 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

As for me, I have an affinity for Hotei.

Oh! BiG John?

Old 11-08-2021, 06:39 AM
Master
Hotei played a major role in my life...........

What can I say.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 11-08-2021, 06:52 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Thanks for replying, given your long tiring day. No rush in responding (if indeed, you feel you need to).

Acceptance is a very basic response that doesn't engage any understanding of a situation e.g. what seeing Christ on the cross entails.

Of course I accept the situation i.e. am not resisting it but that is a low level response to a highly dramatic event! To seek to understand the crucifixion i.e. what is seen and its significance (if that's possible, i.e. given the quandary I mentioned) is a much deeper motivation that allows for insights and higher appreciation.

Incidentally, I am very wary of the 'little tower of self' and don't nurture my ego. I'm motivated to find the truth of a situation (wherever possible), since I'm a realist, rather than bolstering/propagating a view that might be outmoded and need reappraising.

I'm 72. I have "engaged" my understanding since my early twenties, read widely. It can get a bit boring when listing our reading experiences, but I have read the entire NT about 7 times, read various commentaries by those of different perspectives, studied it in other ways, know verses by heart. The OT I know well also. I own virtually the entire Buddhist Theravada canon of scripture and I'm familiar with it. I could list also a whole host of scriptures of other Faiths that I have read and contemplated as much as I am able.

I'm not seeking to boast or impose any form of "superior knowledge". A donkey with a library on it's back remains a donkey.

The consequence of all this, of "working out my own salvation in fear and trembling" (as is said) is that I know, for myself, acceptance is the key.

Discrimination can follow acceptance. It is of another order to any discrimination or engagement of understanding prior to it.

I've found a home in Pure Land Buddhism. Non-dual, it expresses the fundamental unity of self and others in acceptance without losing distinctions.

O Saichi, will you tell us of Other Power?
Yes, but there is neither self power nor Other Power.
What is, is the Graceful Acceptance only.

My apologies, I'm not trying to make my personal circumstances at the moment seem any worse than any others here. I have no idea of anyone elses problems. I'm just happy that my anchor is holding.....
Old 11-08-2021, 07:11 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice

I've found a home in Pure Land Buddhism.
And the rest is irrelevant
Old 11-08-2021, 09:16 AM
Deactivated Account
Just illuminating as I rest in Costa's, the current Pure Land.

There is a Pure Land verse by one of its earliest followers, Rennyo.

Whether heading to the Pure Land
Or heading to hell
All is in Amida's hands.
Namu-amida-butsu

Much the same as the OT verse, "Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him."

Bodhidharma's sermon, "Entry Into The Way" says much the same, in "zen speak". The "way" is found to be empty - plotting, calculation, discrimination, play no part. Christians call it Faith. Often mistaken for "belief".

In faith you are ready for all "becoming", all the potential of Reality-as-is, forever new.

Where does such "faith" come from? I only know that I have not "attained" it or even chosen it. Faith/grace/gift.

Rennyo again:-

Faith does not arise
Within oneself
The entrusting heart
Is itself
Given by the Other Power.

Chop wood, carry water, drink cappuccino.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
And the rest is irrelevant

Yes, it is.

Old 11-08-2021, 11:07 AM
Master
Quote:
I hope this doesn't come across as flippant since I am genuinely curious.

The Chinese Buddha/Budai is commonly depicted as the laughing Buddha with a rather large belly whereas the Indian Buddha/Gautama does not.

My question concerns non attachment to desire.....clearly Budai is not a fitting role model for this when it comes to food is it? Have I missed something?
Probably haven't missed anything in terms of a core Buddhist teaching about the middle way which at a surface level means to not overindulge nor overly restrict, whereas obesity would usually indicate overindulgence. However, people will suppose the Budai is some sort of perfect person because of his supposed enlightenment status across the northern asian sects. I think it's more practical to continue with the query since apparently Budai had a tendency to overeat and could have had an emotional eater or otherwise compelled. I think it's common that people who are considered to be exceptionally happy are often happy on the 'outside' and not so much on the 'inside', so that aspect could be seen either way as well. Anyway... interesting question.
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Hotei played a major role in my life
I think the tall skinny Buddha's smile is more understated whereas the little fat Buddha's is over-emphasised, but that's just my own taste for nuance.