Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 10-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Deactivated Account
As Gandhi once said, when a thief sees a saint all they see is his pocket, while Blake (if I might use a few of his words without being smacked.... ) said that to the eyes of a miser "a coin is far more beautiful than the sun" and a bag "worn with tye

PS. EDIT.Not sure what happened up above.......I seemed to expire mid sentence..
Old 10-08-2021, 02:44 PM
Guide
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobbler's Apprentice
As Gandhi once said, when a thief sees a saint all they see is his pocket, while Blake (if I might use a few of his words without being smacked.... ) said that to the eyes of a miser "a coin is far more beautiful than the sun" and a bag "worn with tye
Well I didn't just see the belly! Given that Budai is a revered figure I was questioning the principles that I thought he adhered to. Clearly he is not a buddhist though I now learn.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:45 PM
Deactivated Account
As Gandhi once said, when a thief sees a saint all they see are his pockets, while Blake (if I might use a few of his words without being smacked.... ) said that to the eyes of a miser "a coin is far more beautiful than the sun" and a bag "worn with the use of money, of far more divine proportions than grapes hanging on the vine."

So some will see the smile, hear the laugh. Others will be drawn to the stomach. "As a man is, so shall he see" (Blake again)

What do you see when you see Christ on the Cross?

Suffering or redemption?
Old 10-08-2021, 02:47 PM
Master
Quote:
So true, He/She looks happy and makes me smile I don't see an overweight Person, just someone who's enjoying life and mybe laughing at those who only see the outer.... Could that be a Teaching.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:54 PM
Guide
Question

Quote:
As Gandhi once said, when a thief sees a saint all they see are his pockets, while Blake (if I might use a few of his words without being smacked.... ) said that to the eyes of a miser "a coin is far more beautiful than the sun" and a bag "worn with the use of money, of far more divine proportions than grapes hanging on the vine."

So some will see the smile, hear the laugh. Others will be drawn to the stomach. "As a man is, so shall he see" (Blake again)

What do you see when you see Christ on the Cross?

Suffering or redemption?
When I see Christ on the cross I am mostly confused. He was crucified for the blasphemy of supposedly saying he was the King Of Jews....yet we are told he died for our sins. I don't see the correlation here but yes, of course, I see the suffering (as an empath) - not so sure about the redemption though since I'm not a Christian. How about yourself?
Old 10-08-2021, 03:02 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
So true, He/She looks happy and makes me smile I don't see an overweight Person, just someone who's enjoying life and mybe laughing at those who only see the outer.... Could that be a Teaching.

To be honest I see this in many posts here. Maybe controversial!! But Pure Land becomes the subject and before long various sutras are being perused and in effect, criticised, compared to other texts. Judged.

Yes, all good fun. Sometimes if I didn't laugh (pot belly or not) I would weep.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:09 PM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate
How about yourself?

I see the very same "message" as I "hear" from Amida.

"Come, just as you are"

Acceptance.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Deactivated Account
As posted elsewhere, I see Reality-as-is as a vital, ephemeral agent of awareness and healing.

Reality is not out to get us, but to heal us.

Yes, that can be seen as sentimental soft soap. Until you take seriously that we must mirror Reality.
Old 10-08-2021, 04:13 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliorate

EXCERPT

The Chinese Buddha/Budai is commonly depicted as the laughing Buddha with a rather large belly whereas the Indian Buddha/Gautama does not.

Budai is sometimes referred to as Hotei. He is usually depicted as the Buddha of the future which is Maitreya Buddha. He is often mistaken as Gautama Buddha who is the present Buddha.

As for me, I have an affinity for Hotei.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 10-08-2021, 06:22 PM
Guide
Question

Quote:
I see the very same "message" as I "hear" from Amida.

"Come, just as you are"

Acceptance.
? Your post makes no sense. I was returning the question about asking what you see with Christ on the Cross.

I know judgment is a tainted word in spirituality but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. There is something to be said for discrimination, i.e. not blind acceptance which holds the risk of being brainwashed.