Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > General Paranormal

Old 30-04-2013, 01:36 AM
Experiencer
Dying from your nightmares?

I found this interesting article the other day that said that "A nightmare on Elm Street" was inspired by actual events.
(For those who have never seen or heard about this film check the link below)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087800/

In the 1970s, some reported extremely bad nightmares & even died in their sleep. More on that here:
http://www.omg-facts.com/Celebs/A-Ni...spired-B/50923

This phenomena became known as "Sudden unexpected death syndrome"
More about that here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudden_...death_syndrome

This is a more detailed article some of the material coming from Wes Craven himself..
http://www.brutalashell.com/2009/10/...on-elm-street/
Actually that article sheds some light on the "night hag" which is what my uncle has told me stories of his experience with it shortly after coming home from Hawaii. (He was in the military) he told me stories of his roommate suffering what some would view as sleep paralysis complaining of an entity sitting on his chest holding him down, suffocating him & not being able to scream or move! My uncle was told of this & some "thing" followed him home from Hawaii. He soon began experiencing the same symptoms as his room mate. He woke up with mysterious scratches on his back & later on after another sleep paralysis episode & constantly suffering night terrors, he saw a dark "evil" entity in his doorway with piercing red eyes wearing a "turban". It was all so real, lets just say he was a grown man in tears that night...

Kind of interesting. What are some opinions on this? Is it possible to actually die in your sleep under such circumstances? I know that is a bit of a stretch-but kind of makes you wonder where some horror movie producers came up with these films?! The possibilities....hmmmm.
Old 30-04-2013, 02:24 AM
kattykamille

Remind me to never watch Nightmare on Elm Street ( I know I know, I haven't seen it... shhh..)

I've heard many stories of people having experienced this phenomenon. The closest thing I can think of that it's a form of sleep paralysis. Mixed in with subconscious fear and nightmares coming into play in a moment where you're partially mind awake and body asleep. For some especially people who have never had any metaphysical experience I'm sure it could be borderline traumatic! Even if they were slightly out of body in that moment and potentially could have seen a demon...If scared to death is a possibility then this could be real. Otherwise I can't seem to see another entity actually being capable of killing you. Ive heard of people dying of heartbreak/heart attacks from the loss of their true love. It's rare but it does happen. So I could see us comparing that type of emotional intensity to something like a metaphysical and nightmare experience in one. And that potentially being a reason for death?
Old 30-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kattykamille
Remind me to never watch Nightmare on Elm Street ( I know I know, I haven't seen it... shhh..)

I've heard many stories of people having experienced this phenomenon. The closest thing I can think of that it's a form of sleep paralysis. Mixed in with subconscious fear and nightmares coming into play in a moment where you're partially mind awake and body asleep. For some especially people who have never had any metaphysical experience I'm sure it could be borderline traumatic! Even if they were slightly out of body in that moment and potentially could have seen a demon...If scared to death is a possibility then this could be real. Otherwise I can't seem to see another entity actually being capable of killing you. Ive heard of people dying of heartbreak/heart attacks from the loss of their true love. It's rare but it does happen. So I could see us comparing that type of emotional intensity to something like a metaphysical and nightmare experience in one. And that potentially being a reason for death?

You've never seen it Katrin? I posted the imdb link in case some haven't but I wasn't expecting that at all! Just from talking to u all the time! Haha. It's totally gruesome & terrifying. & a horror classic! Definitely should check it out! I kind of want to re-watch it now since I found out where it really came from!

I know for a fact that being "scared to death" in a literal sense CAN actually happen, but I am unsure of what autopsies show of people that has happened to..interesting thought for sure! This is something completely new & different...it says the reported cases occurred in the 1970s..but the articles don't show of any more happenings after that. I'll research it some more, but I am wondering if this phenomena continues to happen & if there is anymore research into it!
Some research & from talking to people around, suggest that sleep paralysis is harmless & common amongst people who AP a lot..but the stories my uncle tells of his sleep paralysis/night hag syndrome is completely terrifying. Not being able to breathe, scream, or move while feeling "suffocated" & all happening while a demon is sitting on his chest? I've read of sleep paralysis happening during REM sleep which can cause hallucinations & what not, but this seems more than just "in our heads"...?
Old 30-04-2013, 04:13 AM
Experiencer
& being "suffocated" for a certain amount of time is enough to kill someone? Is sleep paralysis really harmless?
Old 30-04-2013, 04:22 AM
Experiencer
Hmm apparently this phenomena is less of a mystery than we thought it was. But still fascinating...
http://voices.yahoo.com/did-know-sud...h-5312729.html
Old 27-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Loldawg

That's scary. I know of pain when you wake up from a dream, identical to the one you were dreaming of, but this is scary.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:47 PM
Knower

I know of people who think you can actually die in your sleep because you a dream where you were dying. I guess we will never actually know. However, I think it is extremely unlikely that that is ever the case. I'm pretty sure I had a dream once where I died and here I am.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:41 AM
Experiencer
I posted a link, it said that it was some genetic disorder within the Asian race i guess? Only happened to men? It's bizzarre though!