Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 10-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Knower

Do (m)any of you guys have experience with Hermetic magick, or the occult in general?

I recently ordered a book, entitled "The New Hermetics: 21st Century Magick for Illumination and Power", which supposedly outlines a system of self-transformation and self-discovery for the reader to follow. Curiosity got the better of me.

I've had an interest in the occult for quite a while now, but have basically no experience in the actual practise of such things, except for some experiments a few years ago that went horribly wrong. My interest in the occult has been growing and I do feel a strong pull towards it, however due to bad experiences in the past I intend to be careful when exploring it.

I was hoping some of you with experience in this area would be kind enough to let me know what kinds of safety measures I should be taking, roughly how I should expect to feel when using techniques that are designed to expand my consciousness, etc. Also, my spiritual leanings these days tend towards Taoism and Zen (I am very open-minded though), but I was wondering if any of you have successfully and effectively combined practices from Eastern and Western spiritual systems? For example, if you've done something like learning Tai Chi or Chi Kung in addition to practising a Western system of magick, I'd love to hear about it.

I know people say that all we have to do is realise who we are, but I'm still at the point in my development where I feel practises are beneficial, I just want to make sure I pick the right practises for me and that I stay safe in the process, hence this thread.

Hopefully that was coherent

Peace.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
Knower

Actually, you know what? Since starting this thread, I've been thinking about something: It occurred to me that I've made a few posts on this forum that almost makes it seem like I'm seeking outside "approval", or something along those lines, in relation to me taking bits and pieces from different places and carving a unique spiritual path for myself. I realise that this is unnecessary, because all I have to do is focus that energy inward and the answers will become clear in time.

I have to learn to trust my own intuition and guidance, my inner being. I must also learn to relax and take the time to get to know myself on my own terms and find my own place in the universe, rather than ask people to show me this. I'm still young and full of energy, I've just been directing it in the wrong ways.

/vent

Old 12-07-2012, 01:17 AM
Quintessence

Eh, my background is more in Witchcraft than ceremonial magic, but they share similar roots historically.

"Safety" when practicing the arcane is a controversial topic. By controversial, I basically mean that the collective of occult practitioners do not agree on what is and isn't necessary. So much depends on what metaphysical foundation you are doing your work out of. Based on my own personal experience, if you do the work with trust and confidence in yourself, you have nothing to worry about. If you don't believe - or refuse to believe - in some occult bogeyman that will snatch you up if you make an error or do something "wrong," you also have nothing to worry about. I mean, the worst that sometimes happens to me is I fail to ground properly and feel a bit lightheaded and out-of-body for a few minutes.

The question about combining Eastern and Western practices is a surprisingly complicated question. You see, there really isn't a firm line between the two with respect to the arcane arts. The relatively modern occult revival was strongly inspired by Eastern ideas and philosophies. It's important to recognize they're westernized, but they are something of a fusion. In considering a more mindful syncretism, IMHO it is very important to keep in mind that the background philosophy can be radically different. For example, the westernized understanding of karma has a poor resemblance to the Eastern understanding of the term. Westerners have effectively (mis)appropriated that term for their own purposes and they way they use it completely misses its intended point in Eastern philosophies. Some people will get very fussy about this kind of cultural appropriation and look down on those who do it. How sensitive you decide to be to cultural authenticity in your path is your own prerogative and nobody else's.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:26 AM
Sybilline

My mother studies Hermetics... I tried to read the book but didn't understand it :(((
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM
Occultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker89
I recently ordered a book, entitled "The New Hermetics: 21st Century Magick for Illumination and Power", which supposedly outlines a system of self-transformation and self-discovery for the reader to follow. Curiosity got the better of me.

I've had an interest in the occult for quite a while now, but have basically no experience in the actual practise of such things, except for some experiments a few years ago that went horribly wrong. My interest in the occult has been growing and I do feel a strong pull towards it, however due to bad experiences in the past I intend to be careful when exploring it.

I was hoping some of you with experience in this area would be kind enough to let me know what kinds of safety measures I should be taking, roughly how I should expect to feel when using techniques that are designed to expand my consciousness, etc. Also, my spiritual leanings these days tend towards Taoism and Zen (I am very open-minded though), but I was wondering if any of you have successfully and effectively combined practices from Eastern and Western spiritual systems? For example, if you've done something like learning Tai Chi or Chi Kung in addition to practising a Western system of magick, I'd love to hear about it.

I know people say that all we have to do is realise who we are, but I'm still at the point in my development where I feel practises are beneficial, I just want to make sure I pick the right practises for me and that I stay safe in the process, hence this thread.

Hopefully that was coherent

Peace.

Ever hear the expression "to many cooks spoils the stew"?
The word occult is a broad stroked vague word Means actualy Hidden and magickal hermetics is very vague and combining different practises takes something positive from all but when doing that you might be loosing some also.
Old 17-07-2012, 06:53 AM
Knower

Hey guys, thanks for your replies. The book came in the mail today, and from what I've read so far, it does seem pretty good. Lots of practical exercises for spiritual development, easy to understand, etc. I'll probably read the whole thing and then decide whether or not this is a path I'd like to walk...In the past I've had the tendency to quickly form an intention to practice this or that, and begin, only to quickly lose interest and get distracted by something else, not making any real progress. So, I've decided not to rush into anything now, but instead to find universal practices and teachings, and actually put them to use in my life to achieve goals, such as having loving, harmonious relationships, lasting inner peace, and so on and so forth...After all, I think the fruits of any inner work, if successful, will eventually manifest outwardly as well.

I'm going to enjoy this journey

Peace.
Old 19-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Quintessence

Have fun with the book!

A word of caution - probably unnecessary but I have to mention it - be careful abut judging an entire path by one book from a single author. There are usually many perspectives on various teachings, so it might be a good idea to poke at a three or four different sources.

Unfortunately, I don't really have anything to recommend to you on that front. It's not something I have enough background in to say "these are some authors you should read something of on that topic." Except Agrippa. Anyone who does anything occult should read - at least skim - Agrippa. Many later works in some way draw from his legacy.