Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Mediumship

Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Master
What defines a Medium?

This is a serious question and I imagine that people have different definitions of what a Medium is.

Am I a Medium? I believe so. I communicate with Guardians and guides, though I personally use different words to define them. I get my guidance and my personal training and I interact with them. They always let me know what to do. I get a little bit of information about other people but not their entire book of life. I can pull a file and that's about it.

However, I never communicate with spirits who once were alive. I was told from the beginning that my window was wide open but that 'they' were guarding it and I would never speak to dead people, and I never have.

By some people's definition, I am not a medium because I don't communicate with the spirits of the dead.

By other definitions I am a medium because I communicate with higher guidance.

I don't really care what label is used but sometimes I refer to myself as a medium, though not often because I don't want to miscommunicate if somebody has a preconceived idea about what I am supposed to do.

What do people think about that? Do you have to talk to dead people to be a medium?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Master
Hi Rozie,

My perception is that those of us who communicate with spirits are mediums. We do put labels on everything. That helps the brain conceptualize things. Some would say that your focus on higher guidance it means that you are channeling.

Now people who have died also had a spirit presence within them when they were alive. If you choose to talk with them this way, are you using telepathy? When telepathy is defined as a shared experience, and not a brain to brain conversation, then is it some thing else like mediumship. It all depends on how we wish to label these things in my view.

John

http://www.telepathyacademy.net/
Old 07-07-2016, 06:36 PM
Master
Some people have a Slave Mentality in having to put labels on everything.

Honour your gift Rosie - you don't need anybody's stamp of approval.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:56 PM
Master
I tend to avoid labels myself because the available labels don't accurately describe my experience. A label is only useful as a communication tool. It's not useful if people have a different idea about what the label means.

I use the word guidance, because I am guided but my 'guardians' which is another inaccurate label but one that people understand do communicate with me and we have a system. Within that system are many characters which are personified energies. One might call them spirits but they are not of the dead. I know that my guardians show them to me in a sanitized way so they are not so scary. What might be a scary demon to someone else would appear to me as a teddy bear. I know the teddy bears are scary but they appear to be cute..Each character serves a purpose and fulfills a function.

My guardians are how I personify the 'creator'...My belief is that everybody is of creation. We have our personal identities but we are 'one'...The creator energy blends with our personal energy and we have a unique higher self or spirit. These are our 'guardians' and they are unique for each individual but they are of the same source so I can communicate with others in this way.

There is a world inside, like dreamland where people go and we can interact in that world. So I can interact with others in this world and the characters that I have live in this world and can interact with others. I can look and see what is going on and interact with the character. Another person can look and see what is going and can interact also. The interactions are similar, the characters appear similar as do the settings but there are differences in perception. In this way I can interact and communicate with other living people. The person I am working with doesn't have to be a medium to do this. What is that called? Telepathy?...It isn't a brain to brain interaction but there is a subconscious interaction. I have heard it described as remote viewing of a common place, but it is not a literal place on the earth plane.

That is one thing I do..

The word channelling kind of bothers me also because that implies that I am a robot who just types or speaks the words of others and is not a participant. My guardian can write her own words, or she she can speak through my mouth but that is for conversation and not for public display. I used to hear words in my head but we made that more efficient so that I know what she is going to say before she says it so there is no need for words to be spoken out loud or internally. Even if it is coming from high guidance it is still preferable not to speak internally. I just 'get' the words without having to hear them. I get a word here and there and there are occasions when we go to a private place inside to speak, or I could speak out loud and carry on both sides of the conversation. I rarely do that anymore because the system of communication is more refined.

As for drawing, that would be considered channeling I suppose because my pictures are completely intuitive and not something I visualize or would choose to draw, but I do have to try, It's not like I don't have to make an effort.

As for psychic communication, I know exactly what to do when the time comes to do something, but I don't get much advanced warning. As for driving, I don't know where we are going when we get in the car. I know when to change lanes and when to turn but I don't know the destination. Sometimes I can make a good guess, but the route and the detours are unpredictable and I have travelled all over the country this way to places I have never been but I know exactly where to go. That is probably automatic driving or something like that but again, I am not in a trance and I do have to participate.

So what is that? Chanelling? I know it is more like possession because I don't have much choice, though I am present. If I try and resist then it just makes it harder because I will end up going around in a circle until I am back at the place where I started out.

I was really scared at first but I have memories dating back to babyhood of my guardians and they have always been there so if it is possession then it is just a more direct and efficient way of guiding me.

Bringing forth information is difficult because they won't tell me the future or the secrets of life but they will tell me stories for the purposes of understanding. They imply and suggest but they don't often give me straight answers about anything I don't need to know. They will answer questions for other people about a situation if a question is asked and they will answer a little bit about the future or about the inside scoop of a situation.

I know technically I am a medium, but people expect ghosts, and I don't do ghosts. There is a very good reason why I don't do that.

My system works well for what I need to do, but I don't know how to label it, or even how to describe it. I work with people all the time and I just show them where to look, and how to see and that world is really the purpose of my work. If something is wrong, then it needs to be fixed or the energy is messed up. A lot of what I do is identify problems and fix them. These problems can affect another person, so that is like shamanism..Really that is the best description of what I do. I fix the problems.

I think there are not appropriate words in common usage to label this type of work. I have worked with many many people who do similar things.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:57 PM
Master
Thanks Uma...I know labels don't work, but I still try sometimes.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:05 PM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozie
This is a serious question and I imagine that people have different definitions of what a Medium is.

Am I a Medium? I believe so. I communicate with Guardians and guides, though I personally use different words to define them. I get my guidance and my personal training and I interact with them. They always let me know what to do. I get a little bit of information about other people but not their entire book of life. I can pull a file and that's about it.

However, I never communicate with spirits who once were alive. I was told from the beginning that my window was wide open but that 'they' were guarding it and I would never speak to dead people, and I never have.

By some people's definition, I am not a medium because I don't communicate with the spirits of the dead.

By other definitions I am a medium because I communicate with higher guidance.

I don't really care what label is used but sometimes I refer to myself as a medium, though not often because I don't want to miscommunicate if somebody has a preconceived idea about what I am supposed to do.

What do people think about that? Do you have to talk to dead people to be a medium?

Why do you need to call yourself a medium? If you're communicating only for yourself why do you need to attach a label?

You don't HAVE to do, or be, anything to be a medium but if you tell someone she may understand that word as meaning something else. Would it matter to you?
Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 PM
Administrator
Hello

I too am not a fan of labels but they are needed to define the work that one does. I am a natural born Medium but too I am a Psychic and Reiki Master Healer/Teacher. All of which came with me naturally into this lifetime I am in. I had to literally reverse learn things to understand what I had as abilities. Literally was told to read a book backwards on Psychic Development so I could understand what I am.

We are all the same on many levels just that our Soul does not open to it all in the one time in, we all hold communications just might not embrace doing so.

What is a Medium?
- to mediate communication between spirits of the dead and other human beings
- no evidence has been accepted by the wider scientific community in support of the view that there has been communication between the living and the dead
- a Medium is like a bridge that links the physical world with the spirit world
- Mediums make an energy vibration connection to those no longer in physical form

Lynn
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM
Guide
Heh, there's such freedom in being undefined.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn
Literally was told to read a book backwards

Wow - how do you do that?!
Old 08-07-2016, 01:03 AM
Knower
I think it depends where you come from as well. Where I live, pretty much any kind of 'fortune telling' tarot, crystal ball etc = oh! They're a medium! Whereas I've always thought a medium is someone who can see/hear spirit, the spirit world is open to them and they are able to commune with spirit.