Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature

Old 01-11-2023, 06:24 AM
Master

Rooted in Hull...

Rooted in Hull is a project in Hull that the council are now on board with and I couldn't be more thrilled.
It's the first city in the UK where the council are allowing unused spaces to be used by the public to grow fruit and veg gardens which everyone can benefit from.
Even if it's just a few square metres of concrete it will become transformed into a plot of raised beds.The raised bed boxes are made by college students.
Which would we prefer ?
Land that is an "eyesore" year after year serving no purpose except a slight depression everytime we drive/ walk past , or a transformation of growth into a place that is alive with plants and produce and a community coming together ?
It's like music to my ears.
Hopefully other Councils will follow suit .
A project that is already in operation on an ugly plot of land of concrete and gravel and bordered by an ugly metal fence now has raised beds with fruit trees growing in them and all kinds of vegetables . They use an irrigated water system with rainwater collected from the rooftop of the Royal Mail building next to it.
I just think it's amazing and long long long overdue .
Old 01-11-2023, 05:12 PM
Master
Yes ,long overdue! Think Todmorden may still do it,will check on a google.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:03 PM
Master
Great idea!

A few years ago, I went to a Catholic Church with the prospect of getting some soil samples so as to test them for nitrates. Much to my surprise, the Church had allowed the community to plant community gardens. I was delighted as to what I saw but was disappointed that I didn't get my soil samples.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 02-11-2023, 07:25 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podshell
Yes ,long overdue! Think Todmorden may still do it,will check on a google.
Hi Pod... Hope so. Obviously Todmorden is not a city but good if local councils are allowing the same conditions.
Todmorden is very lush, lots of greenery , hills and obviously lots of rain , I know that area well.
And I believe and would encourage every single area sets up similar schemes.
But the bigger the better which is why the big city council's need to lead by example .
Old 02-11-2023, 07:26 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Great idea!

A few years ago, I went to a Catholic Church with the prospect of getting some soil samples so as to test them for nitrates. Much to my surprise, the Church had allowed the community to plant community gardens. I was delighted as to what I saw but was disappointed that I didn't get my soil samples.
Hi John. Good to know these community gardens are everywhere.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:32 AM
Master

Obviously In many places communities have "allotments".
But these are rented spaces by private individuals and not open to the general public.

Some of the derelict spaces on the outskirts of cities and indeed "eyesores" , just overgrown areas of weeds and wild plants. These places I fully understand and recognise will have , over the years , encouraged its own wildlife, and I would be keen to preserve those areas and possibly leave as is, and focus the attention more on areas that from concrete can be turned into these communal fruit/veg/ flower areas , which in turn will also encourage wildlife .

Last edited by AngelBlue : 02-11-2023 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2023, 01:54 PM
Master

Yep great to see. We have people growing veggies on the grass verge here outside their property as well. They are springing up everywhere.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:11 PM
Master
May be able to pick some more tips up off these---see bottom of post, I just love it when armchair naysayers get proved wrong, no-nothing killjoys!!

https://incredible-edible-todmorden-...about/history/

How it started
A long time ago, in 2008, a group of friends had a dream.

They saw unloved places in their home town and wondered if they planted food in them, could they encourage people to reconnect with the soil, the seasons and each other? So, spades in hand, they set to work.

In the beginning, lots and lots of new ideas were planted, like seeds. Some grew and fruited and some never quite germinated but over time, what did work was small actions; their power was the energy that could create a more connected community.

We started growing food in public spaces around our town. People said it wouldn’t work because the food beds would be vandalised, or nobody would want to eat it, or we would flood (again). They didn’t, they did and we didn’t! Believing in the best of people, kindness and sharing underpin everything we do.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:58 PM
Knower

Hi AngelBlue, do you live in Hull?

Bit off topic, sorry, but it's somewhere I've been fascinated with for a few years and am seriously considering moving there. I read the Hull Daily Mail most days, but am often put off by how much violent crime is reported. Is it as bad as reported? It's never felt that way when I've visited, but then I tend to go for the old town, which is very handsome and chilled.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:01 PM
Administrator
We have allotments here a few people have their sheds on them.another is going to be open in the new year they are in high demand.
We also have a community garden where people can sit.
and help plant plants especially in the raised beds which are very popular.
we have worked hard on the community council to get these.
and they are very popular not only with the older generation but the younger ones to.

Namaste