Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 30-03-2013, 11:42 PM
Soul Searcher

Red face Feeling 'different'.....

Hi guys

Ok, so i've just had a long chat with my best friend (of about 10 years, i'm 24 now) which we haven't had in a while. One of those great long chats, about the world and life, and everything in between.

I was telling him how i'd found this place, and it's been amazing to finally let go and discuss all those experiences i've had since being a child, and for people to actually understand what i'm talking about!
For pretty much the first time really, he made me feel completely embarassed about who I am, and what i've been through.

He knows all the experiences i've had and always found me to be fascinating, he says from the first day I met you I knew you were more different than anyone. But tonight, he was like - you need to just forget about everything and move on with your life. The stuff I can do/see freaks him out, and I should shut it out. The past is irrelevant, and to be honest as i've got older I don't really believe in any of this stuff, probably because i've never had anything happen, you know i'm a pretty cold and straight up kind of person.
He then says I just don't get it, and I need to stop putting everyone else first and help my own self/life for a change, and no damn spirits/guides/past life is going to help that. Oh, and to get my head out the clouds...

So obviously really shocked, I held back the tears I could feel stinging my eyes, and calmly walked away pretending I was going to make a drink. Right now, I just feel a little bit empty really, and I absolutely HATE anyone that belittles or walks all over anyone elses feelings. I've had that my whole life and i'm worn out from it.

I told him I'm PROUD of who I am, it's taken me all these years to be even remotely comfortable of myself, and I wouldn't change it for anything as I know i'm here to make a difference to others, and that's what I've done in my life so far, including saving this best friend's life numerous times.

Has anyone else been in this position? For those of us that are a little different and special, do you sometime feel like other people really don't... get it?

Thanks guys,
Peace & Love
Old 31-03-2013, 01:45 AM
dreamt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive_89
He then says I just don't get it, and I need to stop putting everyone else first and help my own self/life for a change, and no damn spirits/guides/past life is going to help that. Oh, and to get my head out the clouds...

So obviously really shocked, I held back the tears I could feel stinging my eyes, and calmly walked away pretending I was going to make a drink. Right now, I just feel a little bit empty really, and I absolutely HATE anyone that belittles or walks all over anyone elses feelings. I've had that my whole life and i'm worn out from it.

I told him I'm PROUD of who I am, it's taken me all these years to be even remotely comfortable of myself, and I wouldn't change it for anything as I know i'm here to make a difference to others, and that's what I've done in my life so far, including saving this best friend's life numerous times.
I feel the same when feelings have been trampled on in the way you describe. But since he's a close friend, you have to consider that he had your best interests at heart and didn't intend to be hurtful in whatever he said. Maybe it came out wrong, or maybe he has since regretted saying it. Or maybe he just didn't understand some of the things you were talking about and this was his natural response. I will put it this way: I would prefer a friend to let me know if they didn't agree with something, than to just go along pretending to be interested, or being nice about it, but thinking something else in private. So I would see this as an opportunity for openness, to learn more about where each other is coming from. I'd say maybe wait a few days and then contact him to discuss it calmly. I hope it will all work out ok.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Experiencer
I agree with Dreamt :)

I have felt the same also.
And I've.had similar experiences.
It does hurt sometimes but I have
accepted who.I am and I'm not about
to change to what ppl want me to be just
so that I feel like I belong with them or to
make them happy or fit in their world.
No I'm not following anyone and I'm staying who I am :)
Old 02-04-2013, 06:52 PM
LadyImpreza1111

Your post resonated with me a lot because I've had multiple people like that in my life. They have either downplayed what I could do or tried to make me think there is something wrong with you. I don't know who this person is, but they are not a best friend to you. No best friend would treat you that way. It seems to be what I have heard called a "fair-weather" friend. When they need you to lift them up.....things are all good. When you need them, their either leave you high and dry or they tear you to shreds. Why keep someone like that in your life? I've had family members who made me feel like I should change who I am or not talk about the things I was interested in or believed in and I said:

"If God in all His glory made me the way he did, he did it for a darn good reason."

It seems to me that you accept yourself just fine. It sounds more like he feels inadequate in comparison therefore he projects his insecurities on you.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:54 AM
cleanheart82

i feel ya

ii honestly just posted a similar thread right before i found this one. i send you some love and healing energy. this is probably one of the hardest things to go through.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 AM
cleanheart82

sounds like thats what's going on

you are very insightful about this one here. i completely agree. i wanna know, would you you just cut your ties?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyImpreza1111
Your post resonated with me a lot because I've had multiple people like that in my life. They have either downplayed what I could do or tried to make me think there is something wrong with you. I don't know who this person is, but they are not a best friend to you. No best friend would treat you that way. It seems to be what I have heard called a "fair-weather" friend. When they need you to lift them up.....things are all good. When you need them, their either leave you high and dry or they tear you to shreds. Why keep someone like that in your life? I've had family members who made me feel like I should change who I am or not talk about the things I was interested in or believed in and I said:

"If God in all His glory made me the way he did, he did it for a darn good reason."

It seems to me that you accept yourself just fine. It sounds more like he feels inadequate in comparison therefore he projects his insecurities on you.

Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 AM
Master

Hey, this song came to mind when I read your post. My son sings this song (he's really awesome) and for some reason, it popped in my head when reading your post. So, here it is. Don't know how it fits, but hope it helps. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzoppexUOXg

Creep by RadioHead - this version will play without flash, but there are probably better versions. It just kinda grows on you (says she, who'se favorite songs are from the 70's :)
Old 07-04-2013, 01:45 PM
Suspended
Guide

I assume he is also around 24. Many people are still immature at that age. I think I heard it takes to age 25 for the brain to fully develop. Sometimes with maturity or growth, one might become more open. Maybe in another 10 years, it will be easier to discuss this with him. But some people never grow or change.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Soul Searcher

Thumbs up Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle
I assume he is also around 24. Many people are still immature at that age. I think I heard it takes to age 25 for the brain to fully develop. Sometimes with maturity or growth, one might become more open. Maybe in another 10 years, it will be easier to discuss this with him. But some people never grow or change.

This made me giggle! And sadly, no he's not 24 he's 29. In a 'practical' sense he's very mature, a fantastic job, nice home etc..

But in other ways?? Ahhh it's just terrible. He's got SO much to learn, and puts up this very cold and arrogant exterior to people, but this stems back from childhood issues. Also in his job he has to be very black/white and scientific based..... well, lets just put it an easier way - he's a Virgo. LOL

~Nadine~
Old 07-04-2013, 05:34 PM
Soul Searcher

Thanks to everyone else for their usual lovely support!!

Peace & Light

~Nadine~