Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 12-08-2014, 04:21 AM
xSoulx

Spiritualism vs. Satanism

This is something that pops into my head time and again, but while these two belief systems may seem vastly different from each other at first, I've noticed some similarities, such as a focus on self image and free thought.

The main difference that really sticks out to me is that Satanism comes off as a lot more aggressive than spiritualism while spiritualism (generally speaking) is a lot more sociable.

Here is the part where I get a little confused though, on the subject. Spiritualists generally are very nonjudgmental while remaining sociable. At the same time, however, many people are hardwired as antisocial. Because of this, I generally forgive the most despicable and heinous things. Now, I'm not trying to take any pot-shots at anybody, but I notice a lot of posts on this board where people state their concerns with thoughts of hurting people who do very mean-spirited things, whereas most Satanists would probably care less about their own negative thoughts and actions.

I tend to be a very asocial person, so I consider myself as being somewhere in between the two schools of thought. Some things I care about and some I don't. I go with whatever is most convenient for my, my own personal health included. Even though I consider myself a spiritualist, sometimes I label myself a Satanist just to give people a better understanding of my general ideas. I respect myself and my own well-being, but I don't hesitate to "act out" in socially inappropriate ways or curse people to demonstrate a point.

Again, not trying to sound combative here, but, for example, I tend to strongly detest people with a "bad cop" or "vigilante" attitude. I was out grocery shopping with a friend today and he was being extremely obnoxious as always.

I made a comment about how sports drinks strangely tend to have a better hydrating effect on my body than water and he pretty much hinted at not believing me and turned it into a debate about which is better overall. I just tell him seriously a couple of times before he makes a comment like "Alright, its pointless arguing with you so I'm not even going to bother" to which I respond "I believe that's my line" and he's like "Exactly... its not worth it".

Later on, in another isle, I'm moving my cart from one side of the isle to the other to get an item right by my and an item a short distance up on the other side of the isle. He is prancing in front of my cart and at one point I have to lift the backside of the cart up to avoid hitting him and he chuckled like he was getting his way with me or something. He then positions himself right in front of my cart and just stands there. Unfortunately, I'm right in front of the freezer door I need to open, so I pushed my cart forward as if he isn't there and look at him with a menacing glare and said "don't start with me". He then proceeds to claim I hit him in the "victim tone", so I respond "well, don't jump in front of carts, then." to which he responded "I was here first" like a two year old. I simply said "I don't care, you jumped in front of me" and as far as I'm concerned, I gave him what he deserved.

Anyways, my last three paragraphs are just an example. My main question is this: since both spiritualism and Satanism promote individuality and self-image, depending on the individual, could they be considered one and the same in certain instances? Whether it be a "nicer Satanist" or a "meaner spiritualist" or a combination of the two?
Old 12-08-2014, 08:24 AM
Master
So why does a Satanist go out of their way to draw attention to themselves by calling themselves a Satanist? It's like wearing a sign around one's neck that says "Look at me everyone, I'm a societal renegade!" Me, I'm a Spiritualist. I don't need to further identify and define my belief path other than that. There are those who lean toward religion, and those who lean towards spirituality. That's all people need to know, if that.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Lorelyen

Oh dear. Two confronters together in a friendship are such fun!

Satanism/spiritualism? They both involve faith and spirituality but Satanism is a religion with its dogma and doctrinaire that seems to tie its adherents to the earth/physical plane. Anton LeVey encouraged it as a means of rebellion - breaking away from the constraints of Christianity - which to me was iffy - people just swapped one set of constraints for another. Some of its practices do create/release huge amounts of magickal energy...but that's where the commonality ends, to me.

It shouldn't be confused with hedonism or spiritism/spiritualism working on the dark side. Spiritualism is a very wide ranging subject that can aim to help people find their true selves, enlightenment, stripped of all the illusion of the materialist world, or to use supernatural contact and energy for some esoteric purpose, earthbound or otherwise. The gnostic believes that she/he IS spirit, caged in a physical body to do a tour of duty here, learn things and prepare to return to the spirit world when ones time comes. "Working on the dark side" isn't necessarily bad. Until we understand the dark of our psyche, we can't really regard ourselves as whole or spiritually "clean" (in my view).

Anyway, it may be time to find a new friend who can make shopping (and the rest of life) more fun. Scorpion dancing can be SO wearing. Until then, don't take the bait!!

Old 12-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelyen
And a third just entered the fray apparently..? Really Lorelyen? What's that about? Is this a response to my questioning your comment yesterday? If you have a problem with something I said, PM me for goodness sake.
Quote:
Satanism is a religion with its dogma and doctrinaire that seems to tie its adherents to the earth/physical plane. Anton LeVey encouraged it as a means of rebellion - breaking away from the constraints of Christianity
Everything I would have said in my next post. I would guess the average age of a Satanist is late teens-20s... the rebellious years in other words. Whereas the average age of a Buddhist for example would no doubt be much older... late 30s-40s perhaps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoulx
My main question is this: since both spiritualism and Satanism promote individuality and self-image, depending on the individual, could they be considered one and the same in certain instances? Whether it be a "nicer Satanist" or a "meaner spiritualist" or a combination of the two?
I don't see religion and religious doctrine promoting individualism on any level. The moment you believe something and label yourself a ___________ (fill in the blank), you're no longer a spiritualist treading the individual discovery path. You're a religious person, bound by a particular set of tenets. I neither believe nor disbelieve in Jesus or Satan for example. Why? Because what I believe and understand, evolves and transforms, depending upon that which I individually come to along my spiritual discovery journey.

Also, I don't see any connection between social awareness, and whether one is religious, spiritual, a Satanist or a Buddhist. I lived and worked with esoteric Christians for two decades. Some were great people, many were thoughtless jerks. Same as all people in all walks of life.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:53 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baile

Quote:

And a third just entered the fray apparently..? Really Lorelyen? What's that about? Is this a response to my questioning your comment yesterday? If you have a problem with something I said, PM me for goodness sake.

What on EARTH is THAT about?

For the sake of clarity I was referring to the two persons, xSoulx and their "obnoxious friend" in the supermarket;
though I suspect xSoulx isn't a confronter at all, just happens to have befriended one.

Old 12-08-2014, 12:31 PM
Megamedes

Quote:
The gnostic believes that she/he IS spirit, caged in a physical body to do a tour of duty here, learn things and prepare to return to the spirit world when ones time comes. "Working on the dark side" isn't necessarily bad. Until we understand the dark of our psyche, we can't really regard ourselves as whole or spiritually "clean" (in my view).

This made me think of something I read the other day and here is a small piece of it from something called From Beast to Godhead:

Gnostic scholar Stephan Hoeller writes in The Gnostic Jung, "He [Faust] invokes the spirit of Earth, the amoral, energetic force of nature, which is unfettered by the inhibitions and high-sounding maxims of the intellect. He descends into chaos and tribulation, into the realms beyond the limits of convention and human laws, where the seething magma of raw, transformative energy resides in its unrefined and undiluted state. It is only by way of this commitment to darkness, error, suffering, along with ecstasy, passion and battle, that he attains to his ascent into the realms of light, guided by the transfigured Sophianic spirit of Margaret."
Old 12-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Master
Quote:
What on EARTH is THAT about?

For the sake of clarity I was referring to the two persons, xSoulx and their "obnoxious friend" in the supermarket;
though I suspect xSoulx isn't a confronter at all, just happens to have befriended one.

My mistake then sorry. You didn't appreciate something I said to you a couple months ago and it caused friction. I just assumed you were reacting to my comments here in the same way as you did back then. Again, sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 12-08-2014, 04:26 PM
xSoulx

Baile- Again, my only reason for labeling myself a Satanist isn't because I necessarily think of myself as one, it is just a way of helping others better understand what I'm all about.

Well, I'm 29, myself, but ironically, this person is around 25 and we got on the subject of religion once and he seems to hold a particular grudge against Buddhism, which honestly confuses me. As far as I know, Buddhists don't go far beyond personal integrity. He thinks they claim to be better than him, so I'm guessing he has some sort of inferiority complex going on. He also stands by Satanism stereotypes.

Lorelyen- My connection with him is more of a professional one. He is a social worker of sorts, I attempted to file a complaint on him, but their office was closed by the time I got there. He also told me he just quit his other job because he didn't like it and he was offered a full time position here, yet he is always complaining about financial hardship, so this whole incident could be bad news and a harsh lesson for him.

As for me not being a confronter, I'd have to say you're correct. However, similarly to one, I can be extremely combative and ruthless.
Old 13-08-2014, 07:34 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSoulx
As for me not being a confronter, I'd have to say you're correct. However, similarly to one, I can be extremely combative and ruthless.

I hear what you say. There's quite a difference between a confronter, putting up a contrary argument, dispute, looking for ways to annoy or pick a fight at some intellectual or psychological level all as a matter of habit around some curious need to "win"; - and someone simply fighting back when confronted. Yep.

I once had an acquaintance who did this. No matter what my (or anyone's viewpoint), he'd always disagree. So it got to the silly stage of me having to start a discussion with views actually opposite to how I really felt, knowing that he'd oppose them, probably aligning his response to my real views. You can't run a relationship like that - a falsity the whole time. I mean, when he sussed what I was doing he got quite intense. I once said "You're such a contradictory person." He replied, "No I'm not." and I dissolved into laughter. Didn't go down well....

Ah well, it takes all kinds.....

Old 19-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Pathfinder

Satanism is animalism. There is no spirituality because they believe we are nothing but animals, with no soul. That's why they sacrifice children, drink blood, and practice beastiality.