Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 19-02-2011, 03:43 PM
windwhistle

I-Ching

Anyone interested in the I-Ching? What's the most straight forward book?
I've tried Wilhelm's and it was really hard for me to relate to. I have the Women's I-Ching and it comes too much from a Wiccan perspective. Is Cleary's a good bet?

Also I've heard the coin method isn't near as accurate as the yarrow sticks due to numeral formulations.

Does I-Ching bring one closer to Tao.

I know that I-Ching became popular 500 years after Lao-Tzu wrote the Tao Te Ching.

I've personally never been good at tarot cards...love the artwork, just couldn't thread the meanings together. I wonder if I-Ching is just another folly because I'm bored sometimes!
Old 19-02-2011, 04:06 PM
windwhistle

Wow Thanks Medium_Laura!!!

I appreciate your being here on this forum. You are incredibly helpful and present! Thanks.
Old 19-02-2011, 05:37 PM
windwhistle

Sorry...got another question...Does studying the I-Ching bring one closer to the Taoist ideal?

Or is it nothing to do with Tao? I know it is about changelike yin and yang. Is it based on Tao?
Old 04-06-2011, 10:27 AM
lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwhistle
Sorry...got another question...Does studying the I-Ching bring one closer to the Taoist ideal?

Or is it nothing to do with Tao? I know it is about changelike yin and yang. Is it based on Tao?

The answer is no.... Either you are in the Tao or you are out of it. The I Ching is not going to bring you there.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:14 PM
TzuJanLi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky
The answer is no.... Either you are in the Tao or you are out of it. The I Ching is not going to bring you there.
You are never 'out of Tao', ****.. there is no Tao.. let go of that notion, it is one more distraction from what it 'is'..

'Tao', means 'way', as in the 'way' things are.. the ancient students of Life chose this so people wouldn't make a big deal about it and turn it into a 'religion' or a philosophy.. oh well..

Be well..
Old 29-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I-Ching

Quote:
Originally Posted by TzuJanLi
Life is Energy, matter is Energy, it's all energy.. i hope you will take some
time to consider the relationships of energy to Life and matter, and even
'soup', it's all energy..
It’s all energy … so what. That doesn’t answer my question. If life can originate from matter then where is that living entity that has no father. Must we just have blind faith that such a living entity exists. If living entities can emerge from soup in the past why can’t they now?
Because it all energy does mean that it doesn’t matter if the energy is in a living or a dead condition. How about if I was to try and convert your energy from a living condition to a dead condition? I’m sure you wouldn’t be spouting this nonsense about how it’s all energy then!
If there is energy then there must be an Energetic! Just like sunshine energy comes from the sun. Electrical energy comes from a power station. In same way God is the Energetic source of all energy!
Old 29-06-2011, 02:04 PM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Ching
It’s all energy … so what. That doesn’t answer my question. If life can originate from matter then where is that living entity that has no father. Must we just have blind faith that such a living entity exists. If living entities can emerge from soup in the past why can’t they now?
Because it all energy does mean that it doesn’t matter if the energy is in a living or a dead condition. How about if I was to try and convert your energy from a living condition to a dead condition? I’m sure you wouldn’t be spouting this nonsense about how it’s all energy then!
If there is energy then there must be an Energetic! Just like sunshine energy comes from the sun. Electrical energy comes from a power station. In same way God is the Energetic source of all energy!
'God' is a belief you have attached to living energy.. this planet has evolved beyond the primordial soup stage, though humans are building new 'soups', and.. new life-forms are evolving at the microscopic levels, but.. you are so blinded by your beliefs you won't look and see, you just preach.. so, at what point do you actually threaten me? it seems so easy behind a keyboard, doesn't it?

Be well..
Old 19-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Medium_Laura

Hmm that is something I'm not quite sure of. It is a form of divination, maybe you should ask the I-ching :) And you're welcome
Old 20-02-2011, 02:15 AM
TzuJanLi

Greetings..

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwhistle
Anyone interested in the I-Ching? What's the most straight forward book?
I've tried Wilhelm's and it was really hard for me to relate to. I have the Women's I-Ching and it comes too much from a Wiccan perspective. Is Cleary's a good bet?

Also I've heard the coin method isn't near as accurate as the yarrow sticks due to numeral formulations.

Does I-Ching bring one closer to Tao.

I know that I-Ching became popular 500 years after Lao-Tzu wrote the Tao Te Ching.

I've personally never been good at tarot cards...love the artwork, just couldn't thread the meanings together. I wonder if I-Ching is just another folly because I'm bored sometimes!
I have six translations, Cleary's suits my 'nature'.. it has a decidedly Taoist flavor, a little harsh for some genteel sensibilities, or folks looking for 'mystical' stuff.. what i have learned, is that by reading so many translations so many times, i don't need to use it for 'divination', its wisdom is revealed as Life unfolds..

More tha a tool for divining the future or determining a particular course of action, the I Ching is a brilliant study of human nature.. that is its predictive essence, that it describes people's 'nature' and how they interact under different circumstances.. it's interesting to experience how insightful and well-studied the authors of the I Ching were..

Be well..