Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 02-11-2023, 10:40 PM
Ascender

All they that take the sword----

Hello all.

The passage from the gospel of Matthew in the King James translation is "All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

Is this intended to be a statement of judgement regarding acceptable behaviour?

An alternative understanding of the passage could be that it is more in the nature of an observation concerning choice and consequence.

If this understanding of this particular passage is thought to be possibly the case, then are there further passages in the New Testament which may be also understood as observations concerning choice and consequence rather than statements of judgement?

What are the consequences of accepting this possibility?

Cheers.x
Old 02-11-2023, 11:17 PM
Master

hi wearunity!

well if i draw a line in the sand, and insist based on principle or whatever reason I want to use that I can't cross it... i think there is likely to be a day when something I need to survive is going to be on the other side of the line. If all that choices I've made up to that day involve my insistence on me not crossing the line... I am unlikely to be able to let go of my rational for those choices in that day... so I won't cross the line, won't get what I need, and the same thing that I lived for, not crossing the line, is what I also die for.

that is what 'those who live by the sword, will die by the sword' means to me.

of course the whole bible seems to me to be a treatise on the choices people made, and what they found as a result... sometimes it even seems to talk about the matter of choice directly, I think there may be some stuff implied about what happens if you choose to give up your freedom to choose for example.... but that just gets back to your original hypothesis I guess...lol...
Old 03-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by weareunity
Hello all.
The passage from the gospel of Matthew in the King James translation is "All they that take the sword shall perish with the sword."

Is this intended to be a statement of judgement regarding acceptable
What goes around comes around-Karma.
Imo.....
Old 03-11-2023, 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
What goes around comes around-Karma.
Imo.....
Yes, it really is that simple, imo, also.
What you sow you reap....If you sow corn...you will not get tomatoes.
You get what you sow. Period.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-11-2023, 02:36 PM
Master
In my opinion, that scripture could be used as an identity marker of a Christian.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 03-11-2023, 04:01 PM
Master

Yep I agree Miss H. We do reap what we sow but unfortunately it doesn’t always happen in this life imo
Old 03-11-2023, 05:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
Yep I agree Miss H. We do reap what we sow but unfortunately it doesn’t always happen in this life imo
Sow patience, you will reap patience.
Old 03-11-2023, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redchic12
A have a thought on that:
I'm growing or changing a lot...probably because I all the NDEs and medium messages I see from the 'Other Side of the Veil",
so, I don't seem to be all that concerned about this life...odd, eh?

But, instead, I'm seeing my Journey more from life to life to life ...so I myself would not use the word 'unfortunately', anymore.
I'm putting down tracks ...and my train is moving!!
Or another metaphor, I'm planting seeds and, sure they could sprout in 2 life times, I dunno.
BUT I gotta say ...I have a profound sense my past lives have made me the person I am today ...cuz...otherwise I would
just be any other party girl, slummin' it, gettin' a beer buz in the morning ...(Ala Sheryl Crow's song.)...kinda like a Calif anthem...
like the Beach Boys.

Coming from Aus. you may not know her:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClbmWkbocoY

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 03-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Master
Swords? I own four of em. I doubt someone will kill me with, out of all things, a sword..
Old 03-11-2023, 07:33 PM
Experiencer

Not different from this ancient precept:

[Inspire not men with fear, [else] God will fight against thee] in the same manner. If any one asserts that he lives by such means, [God] will take away the bread from his mouth; if any one asserts that he enriches himself [thereby], [God] says: I may take [these riches] to myself. If any one asserts that he beats others, [God] will end by reducing him to impotence. Let no one inspire men with fear, this is the will of God. Let one provide sustenance for [them] in the lap of peace; it will [then] be that they will freely give [what has been torn from them by terror].
My words of wisdom: Every civilization wishes to serve the Deity, but they can only do so to the extent of their wisdom and justice. & The greatest religious revelation is the correct interpretation of the things in the sky.