Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 24-02-2018, 04:24 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
One thing about this that I don't get:

Sariputra then related to the Buddha what happened, "We have a lot of bhiksus and there are not enough beds to go around. Some of the new bhiksus wanted to find a bed to retire for the night, so I let them rest first." When the Buddha heard this, he was very angry. He immediately called everyone to a meeting in which the Buddha preached about what respect one should have for one's seniors and elders.

If Sariputra let the new bhiksus rest first and was happy doing so and this was agreed upon...I mean, the bhiksus may have said "no my elder one it is you who should be resting" and Sariputra may have said "it's okay, I don't mind at all" and the bhiksus may have said "are you sure? don't wanna put you out or anything" and Sariputra would have said "nah, go on, it's fine...we gonna stand here all night debating this when the beds go empty with nobody sleeping there?...go on, with my blessing"...how is Sariputra being disrespected and why should Buddha thus get angry?

They way I indertood it. Don't have the sutta in front ofme, It wa a time where many bhikkus had gathered at some benefactors place, as there was little to no food to go around. They all gathered there because they were invited and didn't want to put too much of a burden on the lay people for alms.

The fact the bhikkus didn't offer up their place to sariputra was implied. Maybe even because he was late to arrive, but can't remember exactly..

With Love
Eelco
Old 24-02-2018, 04:27 PM
Eelco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I don't think an enlightened person would ever get angry. An enlightened person is full of unconditional love, compassion, and understanding.

I think somehow we have elated enlightenment to such inhuman proportions.
Have become so full of our own fantasies regarding enlightenment that we have forgotton to subject it to a reality check.

With Love
Eelco
Old 24-02-2018, 04:38 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsquotl
I think somehow we have elated enlightenment to such inhuman proportions.
Have become so full of our own fantasies regarding enlightenment that we have forgotton to subject it to a reality check.

With Love
Eelco
Subjecting enlightenment to a 'reality check'...that one is making me laugh right now.
Old 24-02-2018, 05:13 PM
Eelco

Yes it's so hilariously simple..
It should.

In my understanding the Buddha was quite clear when he lists what happens when one is enlightened.

All the wonderous sidddhis and the like are not it.
Someone purifying his or her mind from the causes of suffering.
He even lists. How that is done..

I found most people will project other imagined benefits which may very well be within the grasp of an enlightened one. But are not neccisary or even possible given the practices the Yogi used to purify himself.

With Love
Eelco
Old 24-02-2018, 06:23 PM
Suspended

I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect human. Well it exists as an idea in most religions but then religion needs such "perfect" icons to exist. I don't think religions could become popular if the founder/leader was said to be an average everyday normal person with flaws they needed to work on. Like yea, most of his teachings are good and he tried, but he sure messed up sometimes. Let's worship and pray to him and make statues of him. Seems to me people want images of "perfect" beings to follow. So then it's like, yea he got angry, but it was somehow ok and not like when me or you get angry, or it's ok he got angry because we already know he is perfect!

I don't think the average person can wrap their head around the idea the founders of these religions were humans with flaws and still needed to get better or improve things about themselves. Maybe it's because people are basically lazy and like the idea of being done with "school." Learning for eternity does not appeal to people. So we have these religious or spiritual icons or symbols who have arrived at perfection and are done learning. Then people follow or worship these symbolic human beings.
Old 24-02-2018, 06:31 PM
Eelco

Exactly that.

I was fortunate enough to follow a Guru for a while years ago.
To this day I cannot exactly say what it was she taught. I do know that I finally had a focal point where I could project my sense of divinity unto. Making that human Guru a focal point for my worship, my love and my need to develop towards.

For me that's one of the benefits of having a religious focus.
With Love
Eelco
Old 24-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Master
Quote:
I don't think an enlightened person would ever get angry. An enlightened person is full of unconditional love, compassion, and understanding.

Why do you think this? Wasn't Buddha a human being also... I think we put people on pedestals and when they fall off it disappoints us..
Old 24-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
Why do you think this? Wasn't Buddha a human being also... I think we put people on pedestals and when they fall off it disappoints us..

I was describing one definition or meaning of the word "enlightened." What does that word mean to you? What do you think makes someone enlightened or do you believe there is no such thing? What does "enlightenment" refer to or mean? Can human animals be enlightened? Can other animals be enlightened or is it only a human thing, only a human experience? Can one become enlightened without a human body? So many questions lol.
Old 25-02-2018, 06:42 AM
Master
Quote:
I was describing one definition or meaning of the word "enlightened." What does that word mean to you? What do you think makes someone enlightened or do you believe there is no such thing? What does "enlightenment" refer to or mean? Can human animals be enlightened? Can other animals be enlightened or is it only a human thing, only a human experience? Can one become enlightened without a human body? So many questions lol.

I believe we are all enlightened, we are born enlightened but life creates delusions and ignorance and covers up our natural state.
Old 25-02-2018, 07:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
I believe we are all enlightened, we are born enlightened but life creates delusions and ignorance and covers up our natural state.

I agree with that. That's what I believe too.