Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Exercise

Old 05-11-2018, 05:58 AM
Master

Gem,

we probably learned from different sources, and although we agree on many aspects, we differ in some too.

A quick search yielded this link: https://articles.mercola.com/ketogenic-diet.aspx
The ideal protein intake should be one-half gram per pound (or 1 gram per kilogram) of lean body mass per day. This will help you maintain enough muscle mass without triggering your mTOR. Excess protein can stimulate this pathway, which may increase your risk of cancer.
also:
reducing carbohydrate consumption can reduce hunger symptoms. In one study, participants who were given a low-carbohydrate diet had reduced appetites, helping them lose weight easier.
&:
Ideally, your keto carb limit should be kept to under 50 grams a day, or 4 to 10 percent of your daily calories. This will help you transition to burning fat for fuel.
The following amounts can be effective for most people:
  • 70 percent healthy fats
  • 25 percent high-quality protein
  • 5 percent carbohydrates
Everything expressed here is what I believe. Keep that in mind when you read my post, as I kept it in mind when I wrote it. I don't parrot others. Most of my spiritual beliefs come from direct channeling guidance. I have no interest in arguing whose belief is right, and whose is wrong. I'm here just to express my opinions, and read about others'.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:37 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
Gem,

we probably learned from different sources, and although we agree on many aspects, we differ in some too.

A quick search yielded this link: https://articles.mercola.com/ketogenic-diet.aspx
The ideal protein intake should be one-half gram per pound (or 1 gram per kilogram) of lean body mass per day. This will help you maintain enough muscle mass without triggering your mTOR. Excess protein can stimulate this pathway, which may increase your risk of cancer.
also:
reducing carbohydrate consumption can reduce hunger symptoms. In one study, participants who were given a low-carbohydrate diet had reduced appetites, helping them lose weight easier.
&:
Ideally, your keto carb limit should be kept to under 50 grams a day, or 4 to 10 percent of your daily calories. This will help you transition to burning fat for fuel.
The following amounts can be effective for most people:
  • 70 percent healthy fats
  • 25 percent high-quality protein
  • 5 percent carbohydrates

I'm familiar with the strict ketogenic diet (you describe here), and in fact, it is an effective approach to morbid obesity where the main or only objective is rapid reduction of adipose fat. It is also true however, that people who undertake this approach lose muscle mass along with fat. There have been so many studies that have established this fact.

The protein recommendation prescribed is a bare minimum, so saying it helps to preserve muscle mass isn't untrue, but people do lose muscle mass on this diet.

All foods stimulate an insulin response, but carbs and protein stimulate it most, with refined sugars being the most stimulating, severe carb restriction along with reserving protein intake of course reduces insulin stimulation. The link between insulin and fat storage (along with 'switching off fat burning') is often used by proponents of keto diets, but it doesn't work in the way that they say it does. Insulin is critical to muscle glycogen storage, which is the primary energy source for exercise, and hence muscle preservation/growth. Basically a ketogenic diet makes people less energetic, and is certainly not optimum for exercise protocols. Hence, people with a condition of morbid obesity could be best served in the short term by the strict keto diet, and many doctors take that approach, but it's not optimum as a lifestyle that includes balanced nutrition.

However, a low carb diet (like 75-100g as a loose average) a day would be a sustainable approach provided enough fat makes up the total calories. Alternatively, a low fat/higher carb diet could be equally effective, and indeed, more effective for those who also undertake exercise activity. At that stage it is no longer a medical intervention and fat/carb balance is best regulated according to the type of food individuals most enjoy.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by inavalan
I'd like to emphasize that fruits contain fructose, which is worse than glucose, as it isn't metabolized by the liver. I remember a coworker telling me that he can't understand how his mother is fat and has diabetes in spite of eating mostly fruits ... hello !!!

Regarding proteins ... excess protein is unhealthy (e.g. carcinogenic). You need about one-half gram of protein per pound of lean body mass; maybe 25% more If you're aggressively exercising, or pregnant.

I misread this part the first time. But now I re-read it - 25% more for exercise, it makes sense! Not inaccurate, but it specifies minimums.

Quote:
Healthy fats should bring the most caloric contribution to one's daily healthy diet.

To lose weight you have to have a caloric deficit. To have a healthy lifestyle is a little more complicated, and includes maintaining a lean body composition and a normal weight. Being a plus size is unhealthy.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:02 AM
Experiencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiccanwolfchild
I'm about 380 pounds and iv'e already cut back on my food intake I just would like to know some easy exercises to start with to work on so I can lose weight and any exercises to plump my butt out a wee bit its quite flat and i'd like to have a perfect figure when I lose weight thanks.

Weight lifting, squats, the plank, pushups to start. The weight lifting means bigger muscles and bigger muscles burn more calories. The plank has no movement so you won't hurt joints and it strengthens many muscle groups and you can increase your time (and the effectiveness of the exercise) gradually and as you are able.

The squats will do wonders for your backside too, although take it easy starting. The muscles for this exercise aren't ones that normally get exercised just day to day, so be careful.
Old 21-05-2019, 10:24 AM
Seeker

Ultra easy to start with walking to get the blood flowing a few times a week and build your way up from there. Its all bout getting into a routine.