Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 06-12-2010, 02:34 PM
Time

Fear of Living

Last night, I was watching a show on the tsunami in Indonesia. It was made by using interviews with survivors, an actually footage taken by people that were there. It has led me to really think about what I'm doing, and others as well.

Life can change in an instant. In the example of the tsunami, they had maybe a few short minutes to react, before the “ high tide” came in, back out, and the main wave hit. Within 2 hours almost 300 000 people were dead, and millions were displaced in 15 different places around the epicenter of the earth quake, in Indonesia, all the way to sri lanka 1000 miles away.

One of the survivors said something that struck me. This is a loose quote:
“.. I wake up every night screaming sometimes, reliving the fear of being underwater and drowning. Some times I wake up so guilty for surviving when hundreds of thousands of men women and children didnt’t. Some times I wake up so excited and happy to be alive, that I radiate joy”.

Why, should we have to face a disaster or life or death situation to be exited about life?? Most of the people I see around don’t even smile, you give them a friendly hello, and they look at you like you’re a leper. I am guilty of this as well. Suicide rates are climbing world wide, but it is no longer the depressed teenager everyone picked on, it’s the business man who lost millions in the stock game. it’s the mother who could’t take care of her kids. it’s the doctors an nurses who are so over worked, and the people who are so engrossed in their video games, the refuse to eat.

Generally speaking, I think we've lost that “zest for life”. We get so caught up in personal issue, government plots, end of the world theories, god, questions of right or wrong, not to mention the fear and war were faced with everyday in the media, so caught up in the 9 - 5 world that we've lost the spark that makes us excite to be alive. How many of us can say we wake up every single morning, happy, and excited to be alive, and be here for a new day? I cant speak for everyone, but iin my experience, and from what Ive seen in my 25 years on this planet is just that. People walk with their head held low, so full of judgment and fear, we actually fear life. We all will deny this, but I think were secretly afraid to even step outside out doors, an our comfort zones to expand our minds. We don’t want our beliefs changed. Were |” happy” the way things are because we fear the change in our lives, that a change in our whole belief structure would entail. Even on here, in the year Ive been on this forum, 95% of the people that have been on here in that time, haven't really changed their view at all.

Even with all of the technology that’s supposed to make life easier, hasn’t really done much. Were still fighting war, were still fighting greed and fighting for our god giving rights. People are still dying of cancer, and of starvation, while some people have so much money they don’t know what to do with it. There are still social class issues, still hate and racism, the same tyrants and problems we've had since the time of ancient Egypt and Greece.

Of course its very easy to blame things, money, the government, god, Satan, the earth itself.. We've kicked out leaders who are tyrants, we've blamed go for our faults, Satan for everything bad that’s happened, we fight wars for “ whats right” and “ the greater good”, but things repeat them selves, because we fail to treat the problem, only the symptoms. “ The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over an over, and expecting different results” - Einstein
The problem lies within ourselves. WE fear what our peers will say if we stand up above the “norm”, we fear the legal ramifications of standing up for what we believe in. We take the media as truth, just because it is what is popular form of information. When we see something that goes against the norm, and or our beliefs an we scoff at is as false, or a lie, or not right. Just because the news says war is the right way, doesn’t mean it is.

I think we are afraid to be excited about life. We don’t want to break the happy little bubble of normality we live in. We live day to day thinking about ourselves, and hardly give a second thought to other peoples outside of our bubble. WE are afraid to do what we truly want to in the world. Why do we need money? Or a house, the car the job, the ipod, the 300 dollar cloths? Who is it that needs those cloths? Shouldn't it be enough that we can wake up to feel the warmth of the sun on our face? To feel the win blow against you and through your hair? To be able to wake up to loving family? To see such a diverse world that is full of wonder?

IF we aren't excited to be alive every day,, I don’t think we are truly alive…

Alive - Edwin

It feels so good to breathe the air
Another spin around the sun
On this spec of life
In the universe
The gift of love
Is there for everyone

Angels working over time
Day or night to hold the hands
That play all alone
A baby's born pure to the world
As the old man lays down his head and closes his out
With nothing said

Every year another promise is made
A pint of beer raised towards a better day
Lets find a star, a star to call our own
And make a wish, maybe we can make it home

Ain't it good to be alive?
To feel the sun, strong against your face
Strawberry blonde waves of silky hair
Spills over me like the milky way

Alive, alive....(x2)

Ain't it good to breathe the air
Another spin around the sun
On this spec of life in the universe
A little peace of life in everyone
To feel the sun strong against your face
It spills over me like the milky way”

Old 06-12-2010, 02:47 PM
ccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
I think we are afraid to be excited about life. IF we aren't excited to be alive every day,, I don’t think we are truly alive.
Hi Time. I've felt the same way for a good two decades or more, ever since I connected with certain realities and truths regarding reincarnation. I wake up each day feeling happy and humble and honored to be alive. Life is a true gift from the gods.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Time

Thats awsome

I hope that you didnt get the feeling that i meant ALL of us ( even though that is what it sounds like :P). We all have the ability to be happy.

Also i should point out, im not saying you should ALWAYS be happy, it is unatural, an i belive very harmful to repress any emotion.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:59 PM
ccy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time
I hope that you didnt get the feeling that i meant ALL of us ( even though that is what it sounds like :P). We all have the ability to be happy.

Also i should point out, im not saying you should ALWAYS be happy, it is unatural, an i belive very harmful to repress any emotion.
No problems Time. I was simply agreeing that we should endeavour to make the most of life, and shoo away any fears we have about living. And sure, I sometimes wake up and don't feel "happy". That's all part of life of course. But I never blame life and living. I see myself as the source of my unhappy feelings, after which those feelings almost always quickly disappear.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:06 PM
Deactivated Account
I agree with everything in your post Time.

I'm guilty of losing sight of the wonder of life now and again, but I like to think that my awareness has increased significantly, certainly in the last year. I keep a gratitude diary to remind myself that life is truly a gift and nothing can be taken for granted, not even waking up in morning. Relationships, homes, food, are all gifts that we are fortunate to have. Many people seem to be oblivious to the fragility of life or they don't want to accept it, but in not accepting we could die anytime, I don't think we can really live.

I believe we live in a fear culture where we're so focussed on what could happen or what is happening, that we've lost track of the beauty of just experencing life. I also know what you mean about getting funny looks if we smile at people - yes it's frustrating and and difficult, but carry on smiling anyway. When I get the occasional person smile back or seem grateful, I know it's been worth it.

Funnily enough a past experience popped into my mind that probably isn't relevant, but I'm moved to tears so will write it down. All through my school life I never had any friends so nobody wanted me in their group or as a partner. When I started university I thankfully made quite a few. On one occasion we had to work in small groups and I noticed a girl sitting on her own. I smiled at her and waved her over to join us. The look of pure gratitude on her face as she walked over still brings me to tears at this day. It may sound over the top but moments like that remind me of the beauty in life, the love that we can show and that connects us alll. Many people have lost sight of this through fear, materialism etc, but love is still the most powerful force.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Time

No, THAT right there starbuck, is life in its glory. I think making people happy, makes us happy. The question is to, if you werent bullied would u have sympathised enough to invite her? Its quite an od thing to think, but mabey the harshness of life makes us better as an induvidual, there fore beter for the whole?

That feeling of happines is one of the most liberating things ever. I worked in the service industry for years, and nothing made my day better, then helping people who needed it the most. Once instance is a kid came in after his beta fish ied. He woulnt stopp crying, and his mom was soo hurting for money, she coulnt afford food. So they got a free fish, and free food...
Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Master
Wow. This morning I woke up, not having to go to work, I started thinking about my son, Sean's death early this year. I thought, I belong to the church of "We didn't deserve this." As long as people defy death and the bad things that happen to good, bad everybody, surviving will come a lot easier. It is a shame people are disgruntled about stuff in life, so much so that they can barely lift their eyes to look at a person who greets them.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:39 PM
Deactivated Account
Yes Time, I do believe my compassion for others stems from the fact I experienced the same and know how awful it was. I think that if everyone could face their pain and open their heart they too would all know compassion rather than fear. But then people are where they are I guess. I experience fear sometimes but thankfully to a lesser degree.

I agree happiness is wonderfully liberating..and making others happy is best of all. I often forget to open my Christmas presents because I just love watching everyone open theirs!
Old 06-12-2010, 03:54 PM
Master
Nice message Time.

Funnily enough I was thinking about writing a thread this afternoon with the enquiry as to who we would be without negative thought or negative thinking. Instead of doing that, me and my wife got a bit of paper out and wrote a list of every positive word we could come up with. We got about 150 just off the top of our heads. It was a fun exercise.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Time

Silvergirl, im very sorry to hear about your son. And I agree, people loose sight of whats right in front of our faces.

Starbuck i had a similar childhood too. And yes, even fear or hate is an emotion that sould be there. I belive they are a concsious manifestation of the natural chaos that exsists in all exsistance. the fact that it manifests itself is evidence that it should be there. But theres a difference between letting things flow, and letting them all out... Happyness is truely liberating......

Thanks andrew. THat is an interesting excersise, and something liek that can truely change your whole daily perspective.