Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 09-01-2020, 05:46 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Another book by ALLAN KARDEC is:

THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO SPIRITISM

(1866)

The PUBLISHER'S FOREWORD reads:

"Ask any Spiritualist in the United Kingdom how many branches of Spiritualism there are, most will reply two: National Spiritualists and Christian Spiritualists. Yet in Brazil there is a group of Spiritualists or, as they call themselves, Spiritists who follow the teachings of Allan Kardec who far outnumber all the Spiritualists in the U.K."

A book from 150 years ago - oy vey! And what possible value is there in quoting a publisher's foreword from that time - what possible importance or relevance could it have?
Old 09-01-2020, 06:53 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
Oh you're recommending books that all Spiritualists should read, are you Big John? And you're not even a Spiritualist?
What does this have to do with the book WAS ABRAHAM LINCOLN A SPIRITUALIST?

Over the last few decades, I have found it interesting that Abraham Lincoln may have attended seances and may have been involved in trying to hold down a levitated piano.

This thread is titled "Best Books on Spiritualism" which implies to me that members of this forum can express what they believe are 'best books' on the subject, which I have done.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Last edited by BigJohn : 09-01-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:15 AM
Master
Quote:
A book from 150 years ago - oy vey! And what possible value is there in quoting a publisher's foreword from that time - what possible importance or relevance could it have?
Simple.

It took me by surprise to see in The PUBLISHER'S FOREWORD such a comment.

It reemphasizes that even back then, that the 'differences' between Spiritist and Spiritualist existed.
As far as I am concerned, Spiritist and Spiritualist have a tremendous amount in common but there are some who see almost no commonality.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 09-01-2020, 07:41 AM
Master
Quote:
A book that everybody should read? Don't you think you first ought to know what folk are actually interested in? I can tell you that this guy has little interest in present day psychic phenomena let alone those from 150 odd years ago.
The Rochester Knockings are something I thought everybody would be interested in. I know it has held my interest over the decades.

It should be noted, that the chapter from the book that was mentioned, gave more credence to the Fox sisters but also helped keep the momentum going that brought about the beginning of 'modern day spiritualism'. Most people do not realize that the events at Hydesville, New York in 1848 could have been easily 'forgotten' like so many things of the past, but the Davenport brothers and others kept the Hydesville, New York events 'fresh' in the minds of the people. Unfortunately today, many people are clueless as to what happened in Hydesville, New York in 1848 nor are the people really interested in knowing about the history of 'modern day spiritualism'.

One of the amazing paragraphs from that chapter that impressed me was:

"On the fifth evening there was witnessed a new and surprising, or perhaps I should say more surprising, manifestation. In compliance with a direction rapped out on the table, by the now familiar method of calling over the alphabet and having each letter designated, a pistol was procured, and capped, but not loaded. One of the boys was then directed to go to a vacant corner of the room and fire it. At the instant that he fired, the pistol was taken from his hand, and by its flash was plainly seen by every person in the room held by a human figure, looking smilingly at the company. The light and the form vanished together, as when we see a landscape in a flash of lightning, and the pistol fell upon the floor. It was a very impressive scene, and, if so explained, a striking optical illusion - if a whole company can be supposed to be affected by an illusion; while, if a deception, it was remarkably well managed, and might put the patent for Professor Pepper’s ghosts in peril."

To me, what happened on that 'fifth' night, was amazing. I have never come across any Spiritualist, in this time frame, who believe such events are possible.

Old 09-01-2020, 08:04 AM
Master
Another classical book is:

INCIDENTS IN MY LIFE.
BY
D[aniel]. D[unglass]. HOME.
[1833-1886]

WITH AN INTRODUCTION BY JUDGE EDMONDS.
(1863)

It should be noted that D. D. Home was born in Scotland and inherited psychic abilities from his mother and after her death had several visions of her. He went on to become the most famous physical medium of his day. He even held joint sittings in London with Kate Fox. But he is best remembered for his demonstrations in the field of levitation. On December 13, 1868 he went into a trance at a Spiritualist séance in London and then levitated and floated out of a top floor window. From there he was seen hovering over the street for a short time and then returned to the house through another window.

Last edited by BigJohn : 09-01-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Master

not to give the wrong impression it was 1868.

Pity we have no one who can do this today - the stage is waiting.

The constantly promoted belief (induced by religions) that we are born to be good and obey (in order to enter heaven) is a tragic error in the concept of the universe's plan and an insult to mankind's intellect.

'A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory'
- Mark Twain.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:13 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busby
not to give the wrong impression it was 1868.

Pity we have no one who can do this today - the stage is waiting.
Thanks.

I made the correction.

I suspect the main reason stuff like that can not be done today is people do not realize it has already been done in the past.

The younger ones today, involved in Spiritualism, seem to have no background in the 'modern day' history of Spiritualism.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:37 PM
leadville

Quote:
The Rochester Knockings are something I thought everybody would be interested in. I know it has held my interest over the decades.

I don't doubt that, BigJohn, but it's a mistake to suggest others, let alone all, automatically share your interest in those matters.

Quote:
It should be noted, that the chapter from the book that was mentioned, gave more credence to the Fox sisters but also helped keep the momentum going that brought about the beginning of 'modern day spiritualism'. Most people do not realize that the events at Hydesville, New York in 1848 could have been easily 'forgotten' like so many things of the past, but the Davenport brothers and others kept the Hydesville, New York events 'fresh' in the minds of the people. Unfortunately today, many people are clueless as to what happened in Hydesville, New York in 1848 nor are the people really interested in knowing about the history of 'modern day spiritualism'.

Yet Modern Spiritualism in the US is even less heard of than it is in the UK where the movement is more prominent. Those clueless about the history and the roots of Spiritualism are perhaps not interested in what interests you but it does not make them any less a Spiritualist. And I have yet to hear you correct me when I said you aren't a Spiritualist yourself.

Quote:
One of the amazing paragraphs from that chapter that impressed me was:

"On the fifth evening there was witnessed a new and surprising, or perhaps I should say more surprising, manifestation. In compliance with a direction rapped out on the table, by the now familiar method of calling over the alphabet and having each letter designated, a pistol was procured, and capped, but not loaded. One of the boys was then directed to go to a vacant corner of the room and fire it. At the instant that he fired, the pistol was taken from his hand, and by its flash was plainly seen by every person in the room held by a human figure, looking smilingly at the company. The light and the form vanished together, as when we see a landscape in a flash of lightning, and the pistol fell upon the floor. It was a very impressive scene, and, if so explained, a striking optical illusion - if a whole company can be supposed to be affected by an illusion; while, if a deception, it was remarkably well managed, and might put the patent for Professor Pepper’s ghosts in peril."

Quoting pieces must be important for you but they do not change what I said and physical/psychical phenomena are no more than a curiosity for me - I'm just a simple Spiritualist.

Quote:
To me, what happened on that 'fifth' night, was amazing. I have never come across any Spiritualist, in this time frame, who believe such events are possible.

I don't understand what you mean, BigJohn......
Old 09-01-2020, 02:48 PM
leadville

Quote:
The younger ones today, involved in Spiritualism, seem to have no background in the 'modern day' history of Spiritualism.

It comes down to what you mean by (quote) "involved in Spiritualism". I'm not sure it much matters if they don't (quote) "..have a background in the modern day history of Spiritualism." A little knowledge may help them understand how the movement started and evolved but I don't see it as vital.

For me what is most important is that they are comfortable with what they understand and know where to search if they later want to understand more. All the history will be waiting for them if they later wish to research it.

But, then, my approach has never been a prescriptive one.
Old 09-01-2020, 02:55 PM
leadville

Quote:
Simple.

It took me by surprise to see in The PUBLISHER'S FOREWORD such a comment.

It reemphasizes that even back then, that the 'differences' between Spiritist and Spiritualist existed.

I was always aware of it but as a Spiritualist it's not a big deal for me.

Quote:
As far as I am concerned, Spiritist and Spiritualist have a tremendous amount in common

The point I regularly make both here and elsewhere.....

Quote:
but there are some who see almost no commonality.

As I said, I make the same point but I am not concerned if others feel differently. Each of us has her/his personal take on matters and that's just fine by me.