Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Vegetarian & Vegan

Old 31-07-2011, 09:40 AM
HallowsEve

Please! Someone offer me a way to gain enough willpower to give up meat...

I'm beginning to feel increasingly guilty every single time I eat it. But there is a problem... meat is literally my most favourite tasting thing, ever.. red meat specifically. & That's the worst for you! I really want to stop but my efforts have failed, has anyone else here had a hard time giving up meat and how did you successfully give it up without wanting it anymore? Thank-you!
Old 31-07-2011, 12:28 PM
JustAm

This is why most people can't quit meat. Its just too tasty to them.

I'd suggest first just cutting out all red meat. Then after you've achieved a strong hold over red meat, move onto cutting out white meat, then seafood and so on. It can take time, so go at your own pace. Also, when you feel your crave is unbearable, then go ahead and eat whatever it is. Don't see it as giving up, just see it as its still helping your goal by releasing your crave for the meantime, and then you'll try your best again. Take steps, and try to continue to make progress towards your goal.

Also, another thing that might help is finding meat substitutes. For instance, mushrooms will be your new best friend. Try pan frying, or baking them with spices that you would normally use with meat, and you will find that they can surprisingly taste just like meat. So if your into cooking, just replace the meat with mushrooms. You can also try to search online for some vegetarian restaurants near where you live and give them a try.
Old 31-07-2011, 02:00 PM
You want help with willpower?

Can you access PBS somehow?

Last August 2010, then again 2 weeks ago I watched 2 consecutive shows - one mainly on the horribly inhumane conditions around the world animals are subject to...the other pictures and testimonials on our health, my God what animal products are doing to us ...and the CHEMICALS! Our arteries!

So I'm back being not only a non-meat eater - but also no dairy!!
I did buy cage free egg whites in a box. I will allow that.

Quotes I took with me:
"Animals are killing us from the grave."

"If it has a face, I don't eat it."

It has to click and be the right time - if you keep saying how you love or miss meat - you're reprogramming your subconscience...program it to see their little eyes - pigs are more intelleigent than you know.

I already haven't eaten bottom-feeders for years --- icky ---- they eat p**p
why would I now eat them??!!
Clams. oysters, lobster, crab, catfish, pork, shrimp ---ICK!
(And I love them all! But I had decades of them, I'm done now.)

Read 'The Maker's Diet' - Jordan Rubin - that could help.

Also, you'd be happy to know you can now make a good veggie burger from your Health Food Store freezer. You'll never miss meat, my friend - really!!!

Buy a picture of cow eyelashes....:(

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-08-2011, 12:44 AM
DebbyM

The thing that clinched the deal for me was googling words like:

beef transport,cattle slaughter, sheep abuse, abusing pigs, and so on, and because of what I saw, I knew I would never be the same again. And it's not only the animals in feedlots and CAFO's but all over the world. Every country has its own 'cultural horror' specialty for animals, any animals. It's vile. Anyway, try a couple of those searches and that might help you can firm up your mind.
Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM
The thing that clinched the deal for me was googling words like:

beef transport,cattle slaughter, sheep abuse, abusing pigs, and so on, and because of what I saw, I knew I would never be the same again. And it's not only the animals in feedlots and CAFO's but all over the world. Every country has its own 'cultural horror' specialty for animals, any animals. It's vile. Anyway, try a couple of those searches and that might help you can firm up your mind.
Your post helped me more...thank you.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 01-08-2011, 07:30 AM
HallowsEve

Thanks for these replies people.

DebbyM, I will do this later.. I'm in company of my little sister at the moment who'd probably be traumatised if she saw such things!
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Cal

HallowsEve,

Deciding to give up meat can be a difficult thing. I tried off and on unsuccessfully for decades. I love animals very much, all animals. That love has grown even more over the years. What clinched it for me was when I came to an personal understanding (one not everyone agrees) that animals have souls and are here on soul journeys like us. I was going to start with red meat first but ended up stopping all meat eating over a weekend. That was about 6-7 months ago I think. I feel great in spirit and health. However the first several weeks was tough because I was so used to having animal products with every meal and I struggled to find enough good things to keep me full, and the withdrawals of sorts my body went through.

Good luck and bless you!
Cal
Old 01-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by HallowsEve
I'm beginning to feel increasingly guilty every single time I eat it. But there is a problem... meat is literally my most favourite tasting thing, ever.. red meat specifically. & That's the worst for you! I really want to stop but my efforts have failed, has anyone else here had a hard time giving up meat and how did you successfully give it up without wanting it anymore? Thank-you!

When I was ready, I found that I never looked back. Maybe you are not ready.
Feeling guilty might be a sign that you are not ready.
Don't worry about it.................keep trying if you want but don't worry about it.
That's my opinion anyways.
Blessings, James
Old 01-08-2011, 08:29 PM
bilko

I would say that you need to find a good alternative to meat first so you have something to replace it with. At the same time maybe google the reasons why we started eating meat in the first place right up until present day.

Knowledge and understanding might make a better foundation than guilt.
Try not to start an endeavor from a negative perspective.
Visualize it as a positive choice and it might fit better.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Time

I think the question begs to be asked:

WHY do you want to give up meat?