Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Old 10-04-2024, 12:08 PM
Master
Absolute=Relative?

I've heard non-duality speakers say this more often. Not heard a question about it.

What do you think is meant by this?

The absolute is the relative.
Old 10-04-2024, 12:33 PM
Like the Sun - is it relative? It just ''is''.
Now if you want to walk under a tree to be out of the Sun...that's up to you,
but the Sun is still the Sun...even as the world turns.
So, to me, the Absolute - just ''is''; relative to nothing.
If I'm understanding your question.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-04-2024, 02:52 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Like the Sun -...
... your question.
Yeah I agree with that... Uhm... That makes total sense...

But if the absolute is relative to nothing, then what do they mean by "The absolute is the relative."?
Old 10-04-2024, 03:01 PM
Master
I asked A.I. GPT-4 2023 what is ment by "the absolute is the relative.". Here's the explanation it made. It's a pretty good provider of general knowledge that has human origin. Thought it would be fun to share it here.

"The absolute is the relative" is a profound statement that appears paradoxical at first glance but holds deep philosophical significance. It originates from the context of philosophical discussions about reality, knowledge, and the nature of truths. To unpack its meaning, it's essential to understand the concepts of the absolute and the relative separately before seeing how they intertwine.

1. **The Absolute**: In philosophy, the absolute refers to something that exists independently and is not contingent upon anything else. It is unchanging, eternal, and universal—representing a state of perfection or ultimate reality that transcends the limitations of specific contexts or perspectives.

2. **The Relative**: Relative truths or values, on the other hand, are those that depend on relationships or comparisons. They vary according to different situations, perspectives, or contexts. What is considered true, moral, or beautiful may differ from one culture to another, from one individual to another, or even from one moment to the next within the same person's experience.

When stating that "The absolute is the relative," the speaker is highlighting a deep philosophical viewpoint that challenges traditional dichotomies between what is considered unchangeable and universally true and what is seen as dependent on context or perspective. Here are several interpretations of what this statement might mean:

- **Interdependence of Concepts**: It suggests that the very notion of the absolute relies on relative distinctions to have meaning. Without understanding what it is to change, to be contingent upon something else, or to be particular to a certain context, the concept of the absolute loses its significance. Thus, understanding or recognizing the absolute necessitates engaging with the relative.

- **Fluidity of Boundaries**: The statement can also imply that the boundaries we traditionally draw between what is absolute and what is relative are not as rigid as we might think. Our understanding of absolutes may evolve as we gain new perspectives or as our cultural and personal contexts change, suggesting that even what we consider absolute may be influenced by relativities.

- **Unity of Reality**: Another interpretation could be a more metaphysical claim that reality itself does not distinguish between the absolute and the relative. Any attempt to grasp the essence of reality must consider both aspects as inseparably intertwined. This could be seen in the context of Eastern philosophies, such as in certain interpretations of Buddhism or Hinduism, which often emphasize the non-duality of existence.

- **Epistemological or Ethical Stances**: From an epistemological standpoint, claiming "The absolute is the relative" might question our ability to know anything with absolute certainty, suggesting that all knowledge is somehow relative. Ethically, it could challenge the idea of absolute moral laws, proposing instead that ethical judgments must consider the complexities and contexts of real-life situations.

In summary, "The absolute is the relative" is a statement that invites reflection on our fundamental assumptions about truth, reality, and values. It challenges us to think deeply about how we understand the world and our place within it, encouraging a more nuanced view that embraces complexity, context, and interconnectedness.

-Artificial Intelligence GPT-4, 2023 and the many humans it has learned from.
Old 10-04-2024, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
But if the absolute is relative to nothing, then what do they mean by "The absolute is the relative."?
My opinion? 'They' are idiots...philosophers, speculators, guessers, posers, intellectually assuming.
There is only One, right - relative to 'nothing'. The Absolute just 'is'.
To be relative to something there would have to be something else. No?
As I see it, that is - take it or leave it.

The writers above have never directly experienced that Altered State of experiencing The One...
The Void...Absolute Pure Awareness, by many names, where there is nothing else.

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 10-04-2024, 04:13 PM
Knower
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
My opinion? 'They' are idiots...philosophers, speculators, guessers, posers, intellectually assuming.
We used to call them "armchair philosophers."

Quote:
To be relative to something there would have to be something else. No?
Thus, the hammer came down unto the head of the nail. In the logical sense, of course. All sorts of philosophical prestidigitations and paradoxes can be created, however, that is simply the side effect of attempting to inject spiritual insight into empiricism and ratiocination, which often festers as dogma, unproductive paradox and/or placebo...
Old 10-04-2024, 05:26 PM
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagner
... All sorts of philosophical prestidigitations and paradoxes can be created, however, that is simply the side effect of attempting to inject spiritual insight into empiricism and ratiocination, which often festers as dogma, unproductive paradox and/or placebo...
So I was right. Idiots. I've always liked you.

Old 10-04-2024, 06:21 PM
Seeker
For me, the Absolute is an infinite formless Singularity. It has no other, so no relativity, and my description is only an attempt at describing what cannot be described.

So my description of the Absolute there is using relative terms. Doh!
Old 11-04-2024, 12:47 AM
Master

i think that it isn't so much that the things we find are 'relative' to each other are somehow themselves absolute, as it is that the consideration that we find that things are relative to each other is itself a statement about the 'absolute'.
Old 11-04-2024, 02:35 PM
Pathfinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewwerrin
The absolute is the relative.
I'd say the relative is the Absolute and nothing but the Absolute, whereas the Absolute is not the relative.

It's like Water and wave. A wave is Water through and through, however Water is not a wave.

Another way to look at it is the dream is the Dreamer through and through, however the Dreamer is not the dream.

The relative, wave and dream are all limited by name and form whereas the Absolute, Water and Dreamer are not limited by name and form.

It's the finite vs. the Infinite and the words used as labels for the Infinite are only that - words - and intellect, thoughts and words are wholly inadequate to express the true nature of the Absolute.

By the way, I'm back.