Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 08-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Master
Your truth .. My truth .. One Truth?

What is truth? How is it defined? Is there truth and Truth? If so what is the difference?

When are our truths individual/personal and when do they merge?

Is there Absolute Truth and if so, what makes it so?

Much gratitude in advance for all contributions ...
Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Terry

Truth is everything you can percieve through all your senses whether in the physical world or the spirit world. Everything is truth.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound
What is truth? How is it defined? Is there truth and Truth? If so what is the difference?

The truth is what you believe and experience. The Truth is God. A good example; before the world was known to be round, it was commonly accepted as flat. People lived their lives based around this truth; it was true for them. But the Truth is that the laws that govern our universe do so in a way as to cause planets to form as spheres. There is absolute Truth, that which is true regardless of our ability to perceive it, and there is personal truth, which is true for us personally regardless of what the absolute Truth might be.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:02 AM
din

Quote:

What is truth?

It's just a concept.

But may it may also be the aware space taking in this post.

By the way, why do you ask?
Old 09-05-2011, 04:19 AM
yinepu

Quote:

Hi Sound, well i think of your heading, your truth,,, my truth,, one truth ?

I know this, there is one illusion which is what we are all living under now, whether its the veil, the illusion the powers to be have created for the human race (ie we are alone ), whatever you call it i believe we are beng disillusioned to believe we are alone,

As for truth, well i think your truth is yours and my truth is mine, its a personal thing mostly,, until the day we are shown the absolute truth then we will go on to believe whatever makes us happy in that particular growth cycle.

for example my neighbour is a christian, it makes them happy, me im more spiritual and happy content but still searching always searching for new ideas and answers, this makes me happy. Until the absolute truth is divulged, then as long as no one is harming others its all good.(an example , i really dont think my neighbours are christian, the music is a bit loud and heavy ha !)
Old 09-05-2011, 05:40 AM
arive nan

Some things are true even independently of human experience or observation. Humans can observe and experience some of these things. But these things are true whether or not people know about them or understand them. We could call these facts maybe.

What people refer to as their own truth as something might be different from other people's truths, most of the time these are beliefs, or opinions, or what they think based on how things seem to be from their perspective. They are things that people do not or cannot definitely know to be facts. It is common for people to prefer to regard these things as some kind of truth, even if others disagree. They don't want to regard these as beliefs or opinions.

When that is the case, I sometimes try to accommodate since they could be reluctant to cooperatively communicate about it if I am calling these things beliefs and opinions. And sometimes it's just not convenient to be adding all the time that it's just your thoughts/opinions. But I don't think it is entirely honest to say that things that you don't know to be facts are some kind of truth. It's kind of just a way of telling yourself that you're right, even though you might not be, because you prefer being right over maybe not being right.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by din
What is truth?

It's just a concept.

But may it may also be the aware space taking in this post.

It's like what is a 'bird'... a thing which is observed to be thus named for communication purposes, and when people notice the truth happens to be they name the phenomena...

It's so simple, I live in Italy... that is not the truth. I am male... that is true.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:48 AM
Greenslade

The world is flat.
No it's not, it's round.
It's solid ground.
No it's not, it's made up of atoms with lots of space between it. Take out the space between every atom in or on the planet and you end up with something the size of a sugar cube.
Nope, matter is energy and has no substance after all.

The Truth is a limit to what you believe. An ultimate. Some people need limits and ultimates. Like believing the earth is flat because they can't (or won't) see any further than their own noses. Some persuade others they know what it is, but do they really? Or are they simply indulging in their ego? Do they want others to believe they know what the Truth is because it gives them some kind of power?

Can there be such a thing as the Absolute Truth in eternity? Absolute implies an ending of some kind, again a limit. If eternity has no limits then can Truth have a limit? We continually expand what the Truth is into that eternity, it becomes never ending like a quest that will never be done.

If we are One as so many keep saying in here, then is decrying someone else's truth akin to masochism? If we are One, then everyone else's truth is our Truth too.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Master
Thanks for replies everyone. I have every intention of trying to keep up with people when I start a thread but I am kidding myself. I often get through the first page … most threads usually take on a life of their own after that anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry
Truth is everything you can perceive through all your senses whether in the physical world or the spirit world. Everything is truth
Yes … others have that same view … my way of understanding that is that every expression contains an element of truth. Even a lie has an element of truth attached to it in that it is true that it is a lie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by athribiristan
The truth is what you believe and experience. The Truth is God. A good example; before the world was known to be round, it was commonly accepted as flat. People lived their lives based around this truth; it was true for them. But the Truth is that the laws that govern our universe do so in a way as to cause planets to form as spheres. There is absolute Truth, that which is true regardless of our ability to perceive it, and there is personal truth, which is true for us personally regardless of what the absolute Truth might be.

So when you say universal truths athribiristan do you mean those that are purely based on universal law? If we have personal truths which may prove to be different to what future evidence presents are those truths simply beliefs which we accept as truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by din
What is truth?

It's just a concept.

But it may also be the aware space taking in this post.

Is it true that truth is just a concept din?
So, if we experience or perceive something are you saying there is no element of truth in it … not even in the conceptualization of it?
By the way, why do I ask, you ask lol … probably for reasons which are similar to yours ... because I am interested in the way of others and how and what they think, believe, perceive, conceive etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinepu
Hi Sound, well i think of your heading, your truth,,, my truth,, one truth ?

I know this, there is one illusion which is what we are all living under now, whether its the veil, the illusion the powers to be have created for the human race (ie we are alone ), whatever you call it i believe we are being disillusioned to believe we are alone,

Oh ok … so you are in the ‘reality is an illusion’ camp yin …so I would ask how do we know the illusion is real, or to keep to the topic how do we know it is a true illusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arive Nan
Some things are true even independently of human experience or observation. Humans can observe and experience some of these things. But these things are true whether or not people know about them or understand them. We could call these facts maybe.

What people refer to as their own truth as something might be different from other people's truths, most of the time these are beliefs, or opinions, or what they think based on how things seem to be from their perspective. They are things that people do not or cannot definitely know to be facts. It is common for people to prefer to regard these things as some kind of truth, even if others disagree. They don't want to regard these as beliefs or opinions.

When that is the case, I sometimes try to accommodate since they could be reluctant to cooperatively communicate about it if I am calling these things beliefs and opinions. And sometimes it's just not convenient to be adding all the time that it's just your thoughts/opinions. But I don't think it is entirely honest to say that things that you don't know to be facts are some kind of truth. It's kind of just a way of telling yourself that you're right, even though you might not be, because you prefer being right over maybe not being right.

I got to the part in your post where you speak about people being reluctant to discuss their truths in the light of beliefs and opinions and an analogy occurred to me arrive nan. If we discover the stumps of the house have white ants and needs replacing we need to be very careful how we do that otherwise the whole building might collapse. It usually proves safer to replace one stump at a time … hmm it doesn’t seem so relevant now that I have written it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem
It's like what is a 'bird'... a thing which is observed to be thus named for communication purposes, and when people notice the truth happens to be they name the phenomena...

The word isn’t the bird but the bird is described by its word lol
Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
yinepu

Hi Sound, nah not really in the camp of reality is an illusion,, i bust my gut to get where im going so no , not a fan... hard to explain but i will try.

I think we are being lied to as humans by the guys in charge.... ie we are alone in the universe.. so whether thats taken as the govts are all liars , or whatever then so be it haha.

But in general , i think the truth is here, the truth of our beigning, our universe, our future i believe the people in charge, know the truth of our past , present and future, but to control us, they give us our plasma tvs (love mine ) our fancy cars (love mine again ) all the distraction we need to not question those in charge.

Now i dont beileve, Obama nor Julia Gillard know the 'truth" i think again they are puppets .

In saying all the above i do believe it, however im allowing that beilief to overtake nor blind me to learning something new , by a fellow forum member, its just a thought i have , a sort of truth i am aware of , not necessarily a fanatic and my way or the highway sort of thing... just a thought is probably the best way to describe it really