Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Spiritualism

Old 02-12-2011, 11:57 AM
mac

Spiritualism - then what?

I won't lie.

If you come to Spiritualism expecting that mediumship will re-unite you with your deceased relatives or friends, you could be disappointed. It's not a 'Dial a Spirit' service and you can't just contact whomever you choose. Things don't work that way....

BUT there is always that possibility that you may hear from someone you can identify, someone you once knew but who has passed over. And within Spiritualism there can be found many, many accounts of others who have had just such personal evidence. Contacts may not be the one(s) expected or hoped for though.

Although Spiritualism may be less well-known than in its heyday, its mediums continue to offer their services in the cause of the spirit, to re-unite loved ones and friends on both sides of the divide. (But not all mediums are Spiritualists and you don't have to be the latter to be the former!)

Spiritualist churches often have mediumship evenings, usually preceded by a short address explaining what can be expected along with something about Spiritualist philosophy. Churches are a useful point of enquiry and in the UK are fairly widespread. Elsewhere the situation may be different.

The upshot is that although you may not get your own direct, personal evidence of survival, the abundance of other evidence could help you to understand the message that life goes on beyond death.

For all of us.....
Old 02-12-2011, 12:44 PM
MMM

spiritualism is more than mediumship under the umbrella or guise of a religion

i'm sure you know this but the way you've written this, readers might be left with a false impression
Old 02-12-2011, 01:44 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
spiritualism is more than mediumship under the umbrella or guise of a religion

i'm sure you know this but the way you've written this, readers might be left with a false impression

I'll leave readers to form their own judgments and/or ask further questions.

You are absolutely correct to say I know what Spiritualism and mediumship are. But I didn't say, or suggest (using your own words) that Spiritualism is: "....mediumship under the umbrella or guise of a religion" They were your words..... As always, I wrote nothing that was false or inaccurate. Perhaps you'd like to take another look?

I deliberately kept it simple for those who DON'T understand the situation.

The KISS principle applied again.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:45 PM
deepsea

Personally I regard Mac's description of Spiritualism very clear,as clear as anyone could possibly make it.

Spiritualism is a religion on it's own,whether classed as one or not.

It is there to provide proof of existence beyond physical death.
Deepsea
Old 02-12-2011, 06:19 PM
glenos

And consistantly does so. What other religion can do that.

G
Old 02-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Experiencer

I concur with Mac. I'm new to Spiritualism, and am not a medium.

Mac indicated that there are a lot of Spiritualist churches in the UK, but that vthe situation elsewhere may be different. It is different, unfortunately. I'm in the US, and Spiritualism (although Modern Spiritualism originated here in the 1840's) is no longer popular here, nor are Spiritualist churches commonly encountered.

I had a medium in the UK - who knew nothing about me - do a reading remotely (something he'd never tried before), and yes, I received strong evidence from spirit: uncommon names of people I knew revealed to me, physical descriptions of people in spirit that rang-true of deceased relatives, mention of songs they used to sing, etc.

But, as Mac said, it IS "evidence" after all. It must be approached with a willingness to ask questions, and in spirit of faith. This does not mean blind acceptance: but an openness to the reality of it all.

Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 02:23 PM
kinneretov

to tell you the truth , i'm also new to Spiritualism and still searching for explanations...
Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Experiencer

Where are you now in your search, KT?

Jim
Old 05-12-2011, 04:13 PM
mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinneretov
to tell you the truth , i'm also new to Spiritualism and still searching for explanations...

Then you've made a valuable start. So, what are you looking for?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:39 AM
Experiencer

Also, while many consider "faith" not to be a part of Spiritualism, I believe that it is a necessary part. This doesn't mean blind faith, or belief in something totally illogical. But many extremely intelligent people have searched into Spiritualism - Moore, Findlay, Boddington, Crookes, A.C. Doyle, Barbanell, etc. - and found a ton of evidence that could not be explained by fraud, telepathy, or by any other mans: other than by contact with the next world.

It's no more blind faith - nor illogical - to refuse to accept what they found, merely because we don't have direct personal evidence of it, than it is to reject, say, the the occurrence of the American Civil War, merely because we don't remember it.

Jim