Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Taoism

Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM
IndigoBeta

Question regarding the practice of Falun Dafa/Falun Gong

Before I write it all out... is there anyone here who would be able to answer my question? Just curious if this is the right place to be asking or not, or if this is not the correct forum.

thank you
Old 16-08-2011, 03:47 PM
olaf

Yes, I've been practicing it for 9 years. What would you like to know?
Old 17-08-2011, 03:01 AM
IndigoBeta

hello olaf!

Thanks for your reply.
I am not a practitioner but I have been reading about Falun Gong with interest lately and am interested in trying it at home.

Specifically I have been reading 'Falun Gong' by LI HONGZHI, which is the material available on the main website. I have some questions about the nature of Falun Gong principles.

In it, the writer speaks of Attachment and its relation to Cultivation.
By Cultivation I assume we mean a loss of the ego, (the loss = gain principle) an improvement of the consciousness and self, and general achievement of a free and clear and virtuous state of mind, or something to that effect.

I was wondering to what degree our every day hobbies bring attachment, and to what degree these things may inhibit our Cultivation.

For example, if I study a language and review/study daily to improve my language skills, and if this is something I do not to show off or use wickedly but because I enjoy it, and the daily review provides structure and progress, rather than studying here and there, whenever I feel like it, loosely, etc., is this attachment? I fear it may be, for there are days when if I do not study I feel uneasy.

The same goes for exercise, I enjoy exercise and exercise three times weekly. To some degree I do enjoy the benefit of a fit body but mostly I do it for health and not looks. Again, if I do not exercise I feel uneasy sometimes, that I am slacking or becoming weak. I feel it is necessary to maintain a strong, vital body, almost a responsibility.

In my mind this is training of the mind and body for basically personal and non-greedy purposes. In your opinion are things like this Attachments and will they hinder Cultivation?

Also, is practicing Falun alone possible, or should I practice with others? Unfortunately it is difficult to find practitioners in my area.

Thank you for your time.
Old 17-08-2011, 03:18 AM
tragblack

I am also reading a lot of Falun Dafa material, and would like to know about peoples' results. In Daoist and Buddhist forums, it is not considered very highly.
Old 18-08-2011, 11:18 AM
olaf

Lightbulb Replies to both of you

Hello,

thanks for your questions. Combining other qigong, meditation or yoga practices with Falun Dafa (Falun Gong) is not recommended, nor basically anything that involves circulating energy in the body and/or forming another set of energy mechanisms. You can find more information in the books "Falun Gong" and "Zhuan Falun", both available for download on falundafa.org

In my view, another good source of information for beginners is "Zhuan Falun Fajie", i.e. "The Law of Zhuan Falun Explained", also available on the site.

I'd say that ordinary hobbies and physical exercise do not matter. I play the piano, sing in a choir, play squash and badminton, go sailing in the summer, have a Master's degree in Arts and Humanities, and so forth. In other words, practicing Falun Dafa does not interfere with your normal life. The cultivation part is about clearing up your mind, upgrading your character by assimilating into "Truthfulness, Compassion and Forbearance" and getting rid of various attachments. Gradually you'll get a better idea of what it's all about and see how convenient the system really is. I suggest studying the materials in earnest and learning the five sets of exercises as correctly as possible. Going to a group practice site in your country usually helps in learning the movements. Teaching and practice is always free of charge.

As for Falun Dafa not regarded very highly on Buddhist and Daoist forums... well, there is a reason for that, but unlike what they might (want you to) think. Falun Dafa became the most popular form of qigong / cultivation practice in China in the 1990s. Masses of Buddhist and Daoist adherents turned into Falun Dafa practitioners in a matter of just a few years. Falun Gong and Li Hongzhi were certified by the state-run "China Qigong Scientific Research Society" already in 1992, and Li became an instant star of the qigong movement with his extremely powerful gong. Until the mid-1990s, the Chinese government openly endorsed Falun Dafa. As a matter of fact, the first lectures Li Hongzhi gave abroad were in China's New York consulate and Paris embassy upon invitation by the embassy staff. Falun Dafa was officially showcased in foreign countries as "genuine Chinese culture".

In 1999, the Chinese Communist Party (CCP) began persecuting the practitioners after their number (70-100 million) exceeded that of Communist Party members (approximately 60-70 million). Moreover, some sources have pointed out that about one third of top party cadres had begun practicing Falun Dafa. The decision was made by Jiang Zemin, chairman of the Communist Party. The government operation that ensued was "a study in all-out demonization" (quoting scholars Fewsmith and Wright). Hundreds of thousands of Chinese Falun Dafa practitioners are currently imprisoned in detention centers, prisons and forced labour camps, where they are savagely tortured and mistreated.

By now you surely understand that this history is very complicated. You can read more on these matters on the Faluninfo website (faluninfo.net), or if you really want to dig deep into third party research, the English Wikipedia article on Falun Gong is not a bad option.

Regards.
Old 29-08-2011, 03:00 PM
IndigoBeta

olaf

thank you for the reply.
sorry for not seeing it sooner. I thought I had marked this thread such that it would email me when the reply came but no mail came.

i have gotten my hands on some videos of Master Li showing the 5 movements and have the two main books which are offered on the official website. I am almost done the reading and will begin in earnest on the videos this week. At the moment I am not able to join any classes but will attempt to make the time to attend, and will try in the mean time to master the 5 exercises as best as I can at home.

Its good to know my pursuits will not harm the practice. The only thing it seems which can really harm the practice is following it for evil purposes, to misuse your supernatural powers, as it is said in the book. This, I am not interested in, rather i wish to have personal benefit and to make myself less of a burden on others by attaining more inner peace. I feel good knowing there are very few other things that will intrude as i do quite enjoy studying and conventional martial arts and exercises.

You mentioned not mixing in other practices. I was considering joining a zazen meditation group, is falun gong incompatible with other forms of meditation and stillness?

Thanks again
Old 06-09-2011, 12:04 PM
olaf

Hi,

if you want to seriously practise Falun Dafa, I would not recommend joining the Zazen meditation group for reasons mentioned in Zhuan Falun, Lecture 3, "Practicing Only One Cultivation Way". However, you'll do as you see fit.

One of the most difficult things for many people (myself included) was fully grasping the idea of how important it is to study the books and lectures on a regular, preferably daily basis. I try to read one or two lectures of Zhuan Falun every day. It has a tangible effect on the mind, clears up the thoughts and keeps cultivation matters an essential part of one's everyday life. In old Buddhist and Daoist practices, the master taught his disciples every day. Attaining enlightenment is definitely hard, but even more so when ordinary society offers countless temptations and distractions. The cultivation energy can only grow as high as your moral character in relation to Truthfulness, Compassion and Forbearance.

Olaf

Last edited by olaf : 06-09-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:42 AM
NIRVANA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragblack
I am also reading a lot of Falun Dafa material, and would like to know about peoples' results. In Daoist and Buddhist forums, it is not considered very highly.

The reason for this is Falun Dafa teach for free. There is alot of money to be made from chi gong so if somebody is teaching for free its going to bring alot of bad vibes from money hungry masters.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 AM
NIRVANA

Would be happy if there was people teaching this where i live.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIRVANA
Would be happy if there was people teaching this where i live.
Everything you need to know is on the net.