Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Master
Date for your diary ! WOLVES !

BBC 1 Thursday April 5th and 12th, 9pm. Two-part documentary about wolves. Concerns the Cascade Mountain wolves which were hunted to extinction 70 years ago and are now being reintroduced.
Sounds like a not-to-be-missed programme.

Last edited by norseman : 01-04-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Master

I shall look forward to that. Nobody does nature programmes like the BBC!

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightofalbion
I shall look forward to that. Nobody does nature programmes like the BBC!

Absolutely KoA. Whatever will we do when Attenborough is no longer with us ?
Edited the OP to include the time
Old 06-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Master
Nature programme on BBC. Part 1 last night, second part tonight.
The story is that wolves have been seen in the Cascade Mountains in Washington State. They were wiped out 70 years ago but are now coming back down from Canada into their old ranges. The story of the Yellowstone wolves is being repeated. Because of the wolves being eradicated, numbers of deer are getting out of control and over-grazing is a problem [In Yellowstone the problem was coyote and elk numbers].
Anyway last night's part was great but it did make me very angry at times - local red-neck ranchers saying that they should be exterminated by any means including dynamite, poison, and shooting.
Got to admit, I have one wish in life and that is to see the wolf re-introduced to Northern England.
The rednecks were counter-balanced by some real enthusiasts. One expert predicted that, if the wolves were successful, they could get all the way down to Western Coast mountains and into Mexico. A game Ranger explained that without a top predator the whole wild life balance was distorted.

Anyway, I look forward to tonight's conclusion. You might get it on BBC America sometime.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
Master
Wolves are very successful, they are bound to compete with humans sooner or later.

If we would go extinct, they would rule the earth..
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Master
They could not make a worse job of it than us !
Old 06-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Master

Yes, second part tonight. Beautifully filmed. An extraordinary insight into the lives of these amazing creatures.

Norseman, I couldn't agree more. A further damining indictment of man's arrogant belief that the world belongs to him and he can do as he pleases with the animal kingdom. The wolves have got as much right to be here as anybody else, as all creatures have.
Heartening to see that not all the humans over there are quite as hard-hearted.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:36 AM
Master
Brilliant show ! High points. First, the wolf being chased off by a large stag with a magnificent spread of antlers. Second the hunter [actually a more moderate one who believed in the balance] hunting wolves with an automatic assault rifle. Third, the Park Ranger [real good guy !] explaining that the "war" between wolf and elk/bison was finely balanced, most hunts being unsuccessful. The argument by the ranchers about wolves taking their horses/cattle seemed false to me - the environment shown was not horse/cattle country. Further to that, it seems that ranchers have bred their cattle/horses to be docile/stupid - I cannot imagine the original species would be so easy as prey.
Lastly - the scenery and fabulous photography ! This programme alone was worth every penny I pay for my TV license. BBC scores AGAIN !
Old 07-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Master
Hey, I stumbled upon the show yesterday and saw the last 30 minutes of it. I think the hunter had good points, unlike that self proclaimed anti-wolf man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
Further to that, it seems that ranchers have bred their cattle/horses to be docile/stupid - I cannot imagine the original species would be so easy as prey.
Of course they've been bred for that. If you want to make money you want fat docile livestock.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Master

Wonderful as always from the BBC Natural History Department.

Anyone know what they've got lined up next?