Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Love & Relationships -Friends and Family

Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 PM

Alzheimer's

Hello,

My grandfather has Alzheimer's disease. I don't remember the last time I talked to him, I was too little. He is in this condition over 10 years now. He cannot talk, eat, he doesn't remember me or anybody.
Firstly, what does this mean in spiritual sense?
Secondly, is there a way for me to talk to him, maybe in astral world? Where is he?
And thirdly, is Alzheimer's genetical? Does this mean that I will get it when I'm old?

That's a really great question. I am curious to see what other's have to say.

My grandmother had the disease and my dad is showing early signs. It's heart breaking,but I know no one is exempt from suffering and illness,and someday that could be me too.Who will take care of me? IMHO,perhaps,it is a testament to those around us in teaching us how to take care of someone who can't take care of themselves, and how much love do we have in our hearts to go the extra mile for someone with special needs.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:36 PM
Master
i think genes pre-dispose but don't cause. families generally have the same habits and its that that is the main causes of illnesses imo. if these habits make you ill then the genetic pre-disposition has its say.

i believe you can communicate with them. just because they seem not there doesn't mean they can't appreciate fresh air, the wind on their cheeks, someone holding their hand and chanting,,,that kind of thing...even if they're deaf.

my grandpa died after/of alzheimers. my grandpa was a bit like me, thought eating sweets was silly and everyone should sleep on wool not polyester...a kind of inherent feeling for au naturelle. we went to see him once and i asked to look ion his mouth and mum piped in, he wants to see if you have any mercury fillings, so i had a look and he had a few. he beamed a big smile and my mom said that was the first simle in a long time. i think he knew i was onto it...not the alzheimers specifically, though maybe, but something hed missed that was obvioudsaly not good. waffle..hope you find some way to get through to him.

i think alzheimers, given the right conditions, is definitely curable. that may depend on severity. i read one book whereby this chap had the first documented recovery from alzheimers. he had pre and post brain scans showing lesions had totally healed. what did he do? had his fillings removed,,,but then so did ronnie reagan and unfortunaqtely it hastened his senility...as removal is a risky undertaking.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 01-03-2014, 05:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous
Hello,

My grandfather has Alzheimer's disease. I don't remember the last time I talked to him, I was too little. He is in this condition over 10 years now. He cannot talk, eat, he doesn't remember me or anybody.
Firstly, what does this mean in spiritual sense?
Secondly, is there a way for me to talk to him, maybe in astral world? Where is he?
And thirdly, is Alzheimer's genetical? Does this mean that I will get it when I'm old?

I'm so sorry, alzheimer's is a devastating illness that affects so many people.

My father had dementia - not alzheimer's - and I realised that this time of "existence" as my mother referred to it was a very important time in his own coming to peace, that he healed an unhappy childhood and perhaps unhappy adulthood. But, that is my theory.

Can you talk to him? You can talk to anyone but you can't make them hear. Keep sending him love from your beautiful heart.

I don't know about genetics but there are studies about what to eat / not eat to avoid getting it and drug treatment is getting better.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle
I'm so sorry, alzheimer's is a devastating illness that affects so many people.

My father had dementia - not alzheimer's - and I realised that this time of "existence" as my mother referred to it was a very important time in his own coming to peace, that he healed an unhappy childhood and perhaps unhappy adulthood. But, that is my theory.

Can you talk to him? You can talk to anyone but you can't make them hear. Keep sending him love from your beautiful heart.

I don't know about genetics but there are studies about what to eat / not eat to avoid getting it and drug treatment is getting better.

Can I ask, why did he try to come to peace during life, if your theory is true? Why wouln't he try to come to peace in after life?
Old 01-03-2014, 05:55 PM
Master

He may not have had any choice in the matter.

Yes, ultimately, complete peace comes on passing but there were gaps in his development and in his life which needed to be filled before he could move on.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
He may not have had any choice in the matter.

Yes, ultimately, complete peace comes on passing but there were gaps in his development and in his life which needed to be filled before he could move on.

Do you think that we can create everything with our minds and energy? Maybe he is in his own universe.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Master

Quote:
Do you think that we can create everything with our minds and energy? Maybe he is in his own universe.

I don't understand?

No i don't think we can create everything with our minds and energy.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
I don't understand?

No i don't think we can create everything with our minds and energy.

I just watched a movie called "What Dreams May Come" where a guy, after he died, lived in his own place he created with his mind. He created everything, including the birds fly, grass, the sea, his house. So what I meant to say is that you can go outside in the world or you can go into yourself to find some answers. I don't know how to explain it better.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Master

Quote:
I just watched a movie called "What Dreams May Come" where a guy, after he died, lived in his own place he created with his mind. He created everything, including the birds fly, grass, the sea, his house. So what I meant to say is that you can go outside in the world or you can go into yourself to find some answers. I don't know how to explain it better.

Ah. That's a very different subject. And, I am not sure.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:34 AM
Experiencer
Luminous,
I'm sorry to hear about your family's experiences with Alzheimer's. I have worked and volunteered for the Alzheimer Society in my area for many years (up until 2 years ago, because of other engagements, but I want to keep volunteering once I've got more free time again), so I can answer many of your questions and more!

Alzheimer's is one of the many forms/causes of dementia, and is unfortunately not yet curable. For your loved ones in the not so advanced stages of the disease, there is medication that can help with the symptoms for a while (they don't slow down the degenerative process, but they can help slow down the decline of cognitive functions, hence prolong the quality of life). Staying active, eating healthy and especially keeping your brain active (puzzles, crosswords, socializing, reading, etc.) can also help slow down cognitive decline.

Researchers still don't know exactly what causes Alzheimer's disease. There are actually 2 forms of Alzheimer's (that are know): one that is sporadic, the other, autosomal dominant (about 12% of Alzheimer patients). The autosomal form is (like its name tells it) hereditary, so quite common within one's family (chances being 50/50 of later getting it, if it's the case that runs in your family, and nothing to be done to prevent it, unfortunately).

The other form, the most common one, is not exactly thought to be hereditary per se. They don't know what causes it, but there are risk factors (the more you have, the more chances you have of developing it: heart problems, diabetes, head injuries, etc.). There is nothing we can do to avoid getting Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, but keeping our brains active, exercising, eating healthy, protecting our head, etc., are all things we can do to reduce the chances of developing it.

As for you asking if you can talk to him: of course you can :) And it is encouraged :) People who have Alzheimer's or other forms of dementia, up to their last breath, still have feelings and emotions :) I'm not sure what you mean by "what happens in a spiritual sense", but I would imagine nothing changes in the sense that he still has a soul, guides watching over him, abilities to receive and give out energy (although not consciously, I wouldn't think).

Your loved one may not know who you are or may not understand what you are saying, but your presence, if gentle, can have a lovely impact nonetheless. Tell him stories, play or sing songs that he loves (especially those he listened to when young), present him smells that he loves or that may remind him of pleasant events of his early years (the earliest memories are the last ones to go), look at nice pictures of the past together, have him get a nice hand massage... He may very well appreciate it, and even if he forgets all of it afterwards, it still has a lovely impact on his emotional well-being (and spiritual well-being as both go together, IMO!).

Actually, there was a study that was made with people with severe anterograde amnesia (inability to form new memories) following a brain injury, where they showed them funny and sad movies, then questioned them on how they were feeling after the movie. Even when they remembered nothing of the movie they saw, the ones who watched the funny movie felt very happy, and the ones who saw the sad ones, very upset, even if they didn't know why. So just because your loved ones may forget having seen you (or may not understand what you say), your actions and attempts at communication are not in vain :) And to get back to your question of what happens, spiritually, that would suggest, to me, that subconsciously, nothing changes... and other studies to suggest that subconsciously, not much changes :)

Please, don't hesitate to post more questions or to pm me if you have more questions or want more tips, or if you simply need someone to talk to for moral support :)

I know I gave you a lot of information, some of it maybe scary, so I hope I haven't overwhelmed you. Like I said though, just because some people in your family has it doesn't mean you also will! And who knows, maybe there will be a cure for it a few years from now :)

I hope I was a bit of a help at least!
Lots of love, kindheart :)