Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > General Religion

Old 09-01-2020, 10:33 PM
Master
I did not realize that I was "anti-intellectual" but I am definitely "anti-stupidity" if that is seen as a character flaw of myself being human and not necessarily Hindu.

From what I can see here, people are going to believe whatever they want to believe about something they know nothing about, even in the face of evidence to the contrary if it suits them to believe it and for no other reason. It is also a waste of time trying to change their attitude or opinion.

Here is a lecture on Hinduphobia by Rajiv Malhotra:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olQlPZuEWLY

There is a lot of Hinduphobia in this thread, just saying.
Old 09-01-2020, 11:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
The 'rub' is emphasized in the expression "Our philosophy credits such religions as paths to the same goal, but does not forcefully enforce such viewpoints on others through jihads and inquisitions." People on this forum do not 'forcefully enforce such viewpoints on others through jihads and inquisitions' but this 'rub' is constantly used to cause friction between the various groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay00: actual reply to BigJohn
There had been trolls who claim that Jesus or Allah is the only true God and unbelievers will go to hell, and who were intensely desperate to save our heathen souls even if we are not interested.

Because of such experiences by zealots , Hindus tend to be wary of proselytizing nonhindus. It happens in other forums as well.
You forgot to comment on why some Hindus are constantly badgering non-Hindus claiming non-Hindus are trying to 'forcefully enforce such viewpoints on others through jihads and inquisitions'.

By your own admission, some Hindus have an extremely, hostile attitude toward non-Hindus, even going to the point of stating that non-Hindus operate thru 'jihads and inquisitions' which is absolutely not true.

Hindus that have such animosities toward non-Hindus should reevaluate their anti-non-Hindu position.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.
   ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Old 09-01-2020, 11:55 PM
Master
What many also fail to understand, is that Hinduism is an "umbrella term" (created by the British) which covers thousands of sects, schools and philosophies under the auspices of Sanatana Dharma.

Each of these subsets of thought and practice could very well be a "religion unto itself" for all intents and purposes, but what they all seem to have in common, is an adherence to the Vedas which is anything and everything other than being "anti-intellectual".

Science is only starting to understand now, through quantum physics, what Hindus already knew some 5,000 years ago.

As for "fundamental Hindus" (Hindutva) yeah, sure we have those...we have Hindus who are fed up with compromising their values and ways of existence to satisfy the mlecchas (outsiders)...they have had enough of Muslim influence under the Moghul Warlords, British Influence for two centuries....yes, I can fully understand this.

Many Hindus are not anti "anti Hindu" they just prefer to do their own thing and let others do THEIR own thing, "to each their own" but a proselytizing Christian is definitely not doing "their own thing" when it comes to trying to convince and convert others who are more than happy being the way they are and "thanks, but I am not really interested" is seen as a personal rebuttal and as an intolerance towards them and the Christian religion because they are not willing to give up their own for it.

Hinduism isn't just about Krishna and cows...we also have those who worship Goddess Durga, those who worship Shiva, those who are monotheists, pantheists, atheists, animists and there isn't really a one size fits all, garden variety "Hindu" like many in the West believe. They just lump us all together anyway because they don't get it.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:43 AM
janielee

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
I did not realize that I was "anti-intellectual" but I am definitely "anti-stupidity" if that is seen as a character flaw of myself being human and not necessarily Hindu.

From what I can see here, people are going to believe whatever they want to believe about something they know nothing about, even in the face of evidence to the contrary if it suits them to believe it and for no other reason. It is also a waste of time trying to change their attitude or opinion.

Here is a lecture on Hinduphobia by Rajiv Malhotra:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olQlPZuEWLY

There is a lot of Hinduphobia in this thread, just saying.

Is it the non judgemental one claiming anything that doesn’t gel with him is anti-intellectual again?

It’s like a frog angry at the world for having seen past the pond, and claiming them all as idiots

It happens
Old 10-01-2020, 04:09 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair
When I mentioned intellectualism and academics I wasn't thinking about 'science', but the study of religion and history.

When religions try to interpret and mould other cultures according to their own beliefs and myths than they commit anti-intellectualism.

Altair in a nutshell.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:10 AM
janielee

Don’t understand this thread. Angry at a religion? Go take a walk and smell some flowers.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:17 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Is it the non judgemental one claiming anything that doesn’t gel with him is anti-intellectual again?

It’s like a frog angry at the world for having seen past the pond, and claiming them all as idiots

It happens
This is all about three judgmental frogs jumping out of the pond and into the rain and then whining because they are getting wet.

I often ask myself why should I adopt the religious beliefs and practices of another just to make them happy when doing so makes me miserable?

The answer I always get within myself is "because you DON'T have to".

So, if another believes I am something I am not, that is only THEIR perspective, it is not my own.

I also notice the projections... people tend to accuse others of being insensitive, intolerant etc when their own emotional needs and religious agenda is not being met and these tend to be statements of disappointment, rejection and unfulfilled expectations over having any basis in unemotional logic.

Yes, it happens...the species is notorious for it and I am SURE, if the shoe was on the other foot, the Abrahamic Religions would be nowhere near as tolerant towards a Hindu as we are expected to be towards them, isn't it?

So why should I have to reassess my position as a Hindu? Oh wait...I DON'T and neither do I give a f*ck...however, Shaivites can get away with not caring what others think of them ..I wouldn't be one otherwise.
Old 10-01-2020, 04:35 AM
janielee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivani Devi
This is all about three judgmental frogs jumping out of the pond and into the rain and then whining because they are getting wet.

I often ask myself why should I adopt the religious beliefs and practices of another just to make them happy when doing so makes me miserable?

The answer I always get within myself is "because you DON'T have to".

So, if another believes I am something I am not, that is only THEIR perspective, it is not my own.

I also notice the projections... people tend to accuse others of being insensitive, intolerant etc when their own emotional needs and religious agenda is not being fulfilled and these tend to be statements of disappointment, rejection and unfulfilled expectations over having any basis in unemotional logic.

Most posts project onto another what (we) ourselves are. It’s interesting how uncanny this is at times...present company included

As to you, dear One, honor

JL
Old 10-01-2020, 05:06 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by janielee
Don’t understand this thread. Angry at a religion? Go take a walk and smell some flowers.
I don't understand it either. Angry at a religion? What difference does it make?

Nobody is twisting Honza's arm or pointing a gun at his head and he can just say "Hinduism is a load of rubbish" and I would be cool with that because it would finally allow him to forget about this and just move on... making some actual progress along the path instead of being stuck, feeling rage for something he cannot understand.

For five years I have been reading these threads...I honestly don't know why I still keep on replying to them...maybe I am a glutton for punishment myself or maybe I just want to set the record straight.

However, a walk sounds like a good idea, but the flowers in my garden all smell like bushfires. LOL

Honour and respect returned.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:23 AM
Master
These days many spiritual people are big on Hindu thought, and often on here, anyone questioning Hindu concepts of karma, samsara, moksha, and guru's will have a hard time avoiding personal attacks from people who believe in these things. It tends to be more subtle than any argumentative 'jihad' you get from monotheists, but there's definitely an ''aura'' of 'only Hindu conclusions are correct'.

I stand by what I said, Hindu beliefs are what other religions were at other times. It is of course a specific interpretation of Hinduism, but it's almost impossible to have a conversation about spiritual topics without a majority here tell you that you simply have to accept core tenets of Hinduism, and questioning it in any way means you're ''ego''. So convenient for those that believe in it. It stifles discussion.