Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Hinduism

Old 09-05-2011, 05:19 AM
catchastar101

Could you help please?

Hi everyone-

I'm a college student and I have a term paper due in a couple weeks about hinduism. The reading given to me is very confusing. I have to answer these prompts:
o Considering that Hinduism lacks a uniting belief system, what makes up the Hindu religion?
o What are the cultural and societal influences that have made Hinduism vital to the region in which it originated?
Explain the desire for liberation from earthly existence.

Is there anyone who can offer me guidance so I can understand and be able to write my paper?

Thank you!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Krishna-prem

I would say that the premise of the first question is completely wrong. Hinduism, which is not even the right name of our religion (it's Sanatana Dharma) is an umbrella term for a family of religions. These religions do have a unifying belief and it is Dharma, Karma, and Moksha. Each religion has it's own beliefs around these and levels of adherence but these are the core unifying principles.

As for the second question, I'll leave that one to you because it would take up too much space for me to answer :)

The desire for liberation is pretty straightforward in a round about way. However, Moksha is not bound up only in earthly liberation. In some Hindu traditions the desire is to complete give up rebirth in the material world. In other traditions moksha is not dependent on this but on the deep desire for a loving relationship with God. In my tradition for example, the desire is to be completely consumed by the love of from and of God. Therefore earthly liberation doesn't really matter. But again, this all depends on tradition.

Hope this was helpful and good luck on your project :)

KP
Old 10-05-2011, 01:43 AM
catchastar101

Thank you so much for your input.

The first questions was difficult for me to understand, and your input helps to clarify things.

Thanks again!!