Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 18-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Wisa'ka

Odd that I cannot write the Lakota world for - The Great Mystery.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:39 AM
RiversLady

What no mention of the Thunderbird? Please write about that as your story style is very pleasent. One of my favorite monsters was the giant rolling head. It was a cannibal and liked to eat children who got lost in the woods. I know this sounds far fetched, but have you ever heard of the giant stone heads found in Central America? Do you think it possible for a trading party to have gotten that far and seen them, hence the story?
Old 21-03-2012, 02:01 AM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversLady
What no mention of the Thunderbird? Please write about that as your story style is very pleasent. One of my favorite monsters was the giant rolling head. It was a cannibal and liked to eat children who got lost in the woods. I know this sounds far fetched, but have you ever heard of the giant stone heads found in Central America? Do you think it possible for a trading party to have gotten that far and seen them, hence the story?

Oh I was going to get around to the Thunderbirds, but it seemed that there was little interest here in American Indian folklore and supernatural beings.

I have not heard of those giant cannibal heads, but have heard about the head spirits of Iroquoian legends. I will research those giant Central American heads.
Old 21-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Master

I have a certain fascination with the Cherokee tales of the Raven Mockers, the bad beings that come to the dying.
Old 21-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Wisa'ka

The Ilini and Maumee believed in a giant flying creature they called the Piasa. Some say it was as large as a buffalo, having huge wings, horns, a horrible face with red glowing eyes. It’s body was said to be covered with scales and had a long tail. Legend has it that this creature could carry off a deer or human. A chief by the name of Ouatoga was said to have killed the Piasa with a poison arrow. Other tribes in the area have legends of a similar creature.

I wonder if this legend was based upon some species of flying creature that used to live near the Ilini.