Spiritual Forums

Home


Donate!


Articles


CHAT!


Shop


 
Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Non Duality

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2019, 05:44 PM
Uday_Advaita Uday_Advaita is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 70
 
Letting it GO totally

Letting it GO totally

Teachings of most of the modern-day teachers of Advaita go something like this:

///
You are neither the body nor the mind
Thoughts are either about reliving the past or speculating the future.
Mind does not allow you to be in the present and hence is the biggest hindrance.
Be in this moment and live life fully without worries.
You are self-realized here and now. Don’t look elsewhere.
Any kind of effort or trying to achieve enlightenment is counter productive.
Look inside and find the source of “I”
I AM, the impersonal awareness, is neither born nor can die.
The phenomenal world is just an appearance and will disappear. So is the case with all the objects that appear in your consciousness.
Don’t try to change the world. How and why it is the way it is, is none of your business.
You are not the doer of your actions and hence don’t blame yourself
So is the case with others – Don’t blame others for whatever happening to you.
And so on and so forth…….
///

If I were to summarize my understanding of any and all of the above, it would be:

Since the appearance of your body on this planet (with inherited genes – encapsulating the memory of 13.6 billion years), all other things like your name, region, etc. etc. get appended to you and form the basis of your identification by you and others.

None of the above circumstances were and /or are under your control, then or now.

Yet every moment you are striving to protect your identity to which your attachment is unfaltering.

If somehow you were to DISOWN all your attachments including genes, what remains would be.

The Choiceless Effortless Awareness. (The teachings say - that is what you are)

Disowning – suggests willful LETTING GO of all responsibilities or actions required to take care of your mind-body apparatus and sense of social responsibilities towards your near and dear ones.

Total letting go does not happen owing to fear of consequences as to what happens to a me and my world.

Whereas, if at first, total letting go happens, then there is no room for any FEAR as the Source will ensure that all the required actions will take place effortlessly through your mind – body apparatus to fulfill all your responsibilities, resulting in lasting peace & harmony.

Let life flow!

Over to you ladies and gentlemen.
Namaskar
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:31 PM
sentient sentient is offline
Ascender
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 919
  sentient's Avatar
Hi Uday,
I'll try to tackle the first one:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
You are neither the body nor the mind
I would rather say that
You are the body and the mind – yet you are neither. It is a both/and situation.

For me awareness that is trapped in dualistic absorption (hence also in linear time?) is like awareness, that has been hypnotized by appearances and gone asleep, and in this unconscious (day-awareness) sleep-state we take it for granted, that me/I exists and the external to me/I exists independently.
Quote:
In the gap between the subject and the object lies the entire misery of humankind
~ Krishnamurti

In non-duality, there is no gap …
Quote:
Advaita (nonduality) does not mean “one” in the sense of eliminating all differences. The differences are present in the one in a mysterious way. They are not separated anymore, and yet they are there.
~ Bede Griffiths
Ooor it is as if you have like become that gap between this and that ….. seeing the whole thing from the gap reference point of view …
Hence you are being yourself and the other - yet neither ....

*
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:51 PM
davidsun davidsun is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arizona, U.S.A
Posts: 2,359
  davidsun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Letting it GO totally

Teachings of most of the modern-day teachers of Advaita go something like this:

///
You are neither the body nor the mind
Thoughts are either about reliving the past or speculating the future.
Mind does not allow you to be in the present and hence is the biggest hindrance.
Be in this moment and live life fully without worries.
You are self-realized here and now. Don’t look elsewhere.
Any kind of effort or trying to achieve enlightenment is counter productive.
Look inside and find the source of “I”
I AM, the impersonal awareness, is neither born nor can die.
The phenomenal world is just an appearance and will disappear. So is the case with all the objects that appear in your consciousness.
Don’t try to change the world. How and why it is the way it is, is none of your business.
You are not the doer of your actions and hence don’t blame yourself
So is the case with others – Don’t blame others for whatever happening to you.
And so on and so forth…….
///

If I were to summarize my understanding of any and all of the above, it would be:

Since the appearance of your body on this planet (with inherited genes – encapsulating the memory of 13.6 billion years), all other things like your name, region, etc. etc. get appended to you and form the basis of your identification by you and others.

None of the above circumstances were and /or are under your control, then or now.

Yet every moment you are striving to protect your identity to which your attachment is unfaltering.

If somehow you were to DISOWN all your attachments including genes, what remains would be.

The Choiceless Effortless Awareness. (The teachings say - that is what you are)

Disowning – suggests willful LETTING GO of all responsibilities or actions required to take care of your mind-body apparatus and sense of social responsibilities towards your near and dear ones.

Total letting go does not happen owing to fear of consequences as to what happens to a me and my world.

Whereas, if at first, total letting go happens, then there is no room for any FEAR as the Source will ensure that all the required actions will take place effortlessly through your mind – body apparatus to fulfill all your responsibilities, resulting in lasting peace & harmony.

Let life flow!

Over to you ladies and gentlemen.
Namaskar
What's missing from what's expressed above is reference to and discussion of just what the 'letting go' is (presumedly!) for, what it might serve -- the reason or purpose to 'let go' for. The philosophy you articulate does not reference the 'purpose' of LIFE (as we know It). From my (freely downloadable) treatise:
Only those with a transcendental perspective such as the one shared herein will be able to ‘see’ such ‘house of horrors’ as really being not just the challenge but the opportunity that it is as well for them and others to soulfully ‘grow’ to the point where they become fully capable of and committed to executing their ‘innate’ (because, as said before, it is ubiquitously operational!) Essence-of-Life imperative to maximize the experience and expression of Love and Joy in relation to and with others and Life-at-Large. They, analogous to those with sufficient oil in their lamps in Jesus’ Parable of the Ten Virgins, will be able to cognizantly relate to the ever‑onflowing beneficence of Life’s Flow of Love and Joy in even the darkest and potentially psychospiritually terrifying (for anyone who doesn’t have such ‘vision’, that is) of times, and so ebulliently choose to ‘float’ and ‘steer’ their soul ‘boats’ around and past whatever psychospiritual ‘rocks’ and ‘whirlpools’ accost them in the course of their ‘white‑water rapids’ run, exultantly glorying in the fact of Life’s eternal indomitability and jubilantly sharing and celebrating The Flow of Love and Joy with others as they do so. As the vagaries of their and others’ physiosocial circumstances will then be ‘seen’ to be of transitory (hence secondary) importance, these will not being ‘taken’ all that seriously, which unseriousness will ‘free’ folks to primarily focus on psychospiritually engaging with and participating in The Flow of Love and Joy and others ‘in’ It in completely light‑minded-n-hearted fashion.

Psychospiritual communion in a Spirit of Love and Joy is what is most relevant to actualizing the kind of Life I speak of: Conscious affirmation and appreciation of intimately (via mutual recognition and empathy) shared thoughts and feelings, whereby and wherein one whole-mind-n-heart‑edly embraces and revels in the fact that whoever and/or whatever one is in the presence of is a wonderfully familial being-doing aspect of The Flow of Life Itself, any differences between one’s own and others’ worldly situations and/or conditions notwithstanding!
__________________
David
http://davidsundom.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 AM
BigJohn BigJohn is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: I live in a house.
Posts: 2,365
  BigJohn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uday_Advaita
Letting it GO totally

Teachings of most of the modern-day teachers of Advaita go something like this:

You are neither the body nor the mind
Thoughts are either about reliving the past or speculating the future.
Mind does not allow you to be in the present and hence is the biggest hindrance.
Be in this moment and live life fully without worries.
You are self-realized here and now. Don’t look elsewhere.
Any kind of effort or trying to achieve enlightenment is counter productive.
Look inside and find the source of “I”
I AM, the impersonal awareness, is neither born nor can die.
The phenomenal world is just an appearance and will disappear. So is the case with all the objects that appear in your consciousness.
Don’t try to change the world. How and why it is the way it is, is none of your business.
You are not the doer of your actions and hence don’t blame yourself
So is the case with others – Don’t blame others for whatever happening to you.
And so on and so forth…….
What beautiful words............
deserving to be made into a plague and displayed
in an auspicious area for deserving eyes.
__________________
..
.

He dipped the pen into the ink and then faltered for just a second. A tremor had gone through his bowels. To mark the paper was the decisive act. In small clumsy letters he wrote: ........... April 4th, 1984.
..................
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:19 AM
Unseeking Seeker Unseeking Seeker is offline
Master
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: India
Posts: 3,299
  Unseeking Seeker's Avatar
***

Letting it GO totally

That’s it! However, this is a vision statement. The practical steps of disassociation with not only outcomes but dealing with fear & desire and the unceasing agitation of the mind body construct have to be dealt with.

Recognising the truth and implementing the steps are two different things. Yet, if we prioritise it, the mists clear slowly but surely.

***
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-09-2019, 01:07 PM
davidsun davidsun is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Arizona, U.S.A
Posts: 2,359
  davidsun's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
The practical steps of disassociation with not only outcomes but dealing with fear & desire and the unceasing agitation of the mind body construct have to be dealt with ...

This is the Via Negativa - what not to 'associate' with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
Recognizing the truth and implementing the steps are two different things. Yet, if we prioritise it, the mists clear slowly but surely.
My 'message' is that there's a Positive aspect to (incarnate) Life's Journey that is often (generally?) overlooked by Advaita folks, which beyond merely helping to 'clear' 'mists' can lead to 'association' with wonderful 'sun' 'shine'.

Using cultural typologies: I would say its the difference between the 'Buddhist' 'way' (motivation?) to 'end' 'attachment' and 'suffering' and the 'Christian' 'way' (motivation?) to 'generate' and share[!] 'interpersonal love-engagement' and 'joy' in greater abundance.

Not that either way can't be miss-'followed', mind you!

Check out https://beverlylanzetta.net/2015/07/...-via-negativa/ for further ideational clarification in the foregoing regards.
__________________
David
http://davidsundom.weebly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 29-09-2019, 09:51 PM
Miss Hepburn Miss Hepburn is offline
Master
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southwest, USA
Posts: 14,740
  Miss Hepburn's Avatar
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
***Letting it GO totally
That’s it! However, this is a vision statement. The practical steps of disassociation with not only outcomes but dealing with fear & desire and the unceasing agitation of the mind body construct have to be dealt with.

Recognising the truth and implementing the steps are two different things. Yet, if we prioritise it, the mists clear slowly but surely.
***
Yes, implementing the steps.

First, there is eliminating triple chocolate cake. Then, sex and cuddling...then, worry
about anything at all: health, wealth, shelter and food, the car repairs and insurance.
ALL can be done...start realistically...fill yourself with satchitanand..
Make Bliss and Truth your priority and it's like an escalator to the top...
the Stairway to Heaven. (I'm halfway up myself!)
__________________
.,

"Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by riding daily in a balloon of divine perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones...Meditate unceasingly,
that you quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence"
~~Lahiri Mahasaya, the guru of Yogananda's guru

I have no scientific evidence for anything I say.
Better to PM me if you want me to see a post to me. I miss a lot.







Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 29-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Truth307 Truth307 is offline
Pathfinder
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 59
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
Yes, implementing the steps.

First, there is eliminating triple chocolate cake. Then, sex and cuddling...then, worry
about anything at all: health, wealth, shelter and food, the car repairs and insurance.
ALL can be done...start realistically...fill yourself with satchitanand..
Make Bliss and Truth your priority and it's like an escalator to the top...
the Stairway to Heaven. (I'm halfway up myself!)

Good post. It’s just Truth in action. Sometimes in life too, we need to fight until we win. No one said that life would be without obstacles. We all have them.

One needs to be a saint and a soldier to rise. Suffering and bad souls teach us lessons that even those in the astral world don’t learn.

There is no physical world, and no spiritual world. Only One / Nothing/ Truth.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) Spiritual Forums