Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > North American Indigenous Spirituality

Old 19-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Tanith

Cutting your hair

I was curious; I know little about Native American spiritualism but my mother and I were having a discussion the other day about getting our hair cut. She has stopped having her hair cut about the time I did; which was nearly a year ago. She told me that some Native American beliefs sort of held the idea that hair should not be cut for various reasons. I've done a bit of research but can't find anything that seems to be first-hand knowledge.

What are some of the reasons? I'm curious if it is simply because hair is natural and like nature should not be forcibly altered (as I believe) or if it was something deeper?

In short, what does Native American spiritualism say about cutting one's hair?

Thanks in advance!
Old 19-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
I was curious; I know little about Native American spiritualism but my mother and I were having a discussion the other day about getting our hair cut. She has stopped having her hair cut about the time I did; which was nearly a year ago. She told me that some Native American beliefs sort of held the idea that hair should not be cut for various reasons. I've done a bit of research but can't find anything that seems to be first-hand knowledge.

What are some of the reasons? I'm curious if it is simply because hair is natural and like nature should not be forcibly altered (as I believe) or if it was something deeper?

In short, what does Native American spiritualism say about cutting one's hair?

Thanks in advance!

That depends upon the individual tribe, one would suppose.
Old 19-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Tanith

This is true, but even individual tribes often held the same or similar beliefs when it came to many aspects of spiritualism, didn't they?
Old 19-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Wisa'ka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanith
This is true, but even individual tribes often held the same or similar beliefs when it came to many aspects of spiritualism, didn't they?

Do you mean spirituality in regards to the way an individual wears their hair ?

If so there were as many different ways of wearing one's hair as there were tribal cultures.

Personal grooming should always be left up to the individual.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:28 AM
RiversLady

Hair styles differed with what was popular at the time and which tribe you were in. Think Mohawk and scalp lock. Rituals for coming of age and grief had some hair cutting in some tribes.
There was one constant: the danger of letting the cut hair get into the hands of a bad person. Hair and nail trimmings were a part of you, so they had to be disposed of in a way that prevented them from being used against you.
Old 20-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Tanith

I heard that many native american cultures did not believe they should cut their hair at all because it would limit their perceptions of the spirits around them, or something to that effect.

I wasn't really talking about "styles" or anything, I was simply wondering if this belief was true, or if someone could enlighten me on the subject in more depth.

That is interesting information, RiversLady, about not letting hair fall in the hands of an enemy. Hair clippings (and nail clippings) can be used in other types of spellwork so that does make sense.
Old 20-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Wisa'ka

For some tribes, the ones where both women and men wore their hair long, cutting it was often done in mourning a dead loved one.

Women of various tribes would either cut or let their hair grow longer in a display of marital status. In some plains tribes and most of the eastern woodlands a warrior would pluck or shave the majority or part of his head into a scalp lock as a challenge for an enemy to come take his scalp.

The concept that all Indians wore/wear their hair long is a fallacy.

Sorry I could not answer your question the way you wanted me to.
Old 20-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Tanith

I assumed that some tribes were different; that not all tribes followed this. There's enough evidence in history to prove as much that not all tribes didn't cut their hair. I simply was curious how common of a belief it was or if there was any truth to it at all.

Thank you :)
Old 22-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Dragonfhain

I was told that some tribes did not cut their hair as it was natural (as you stated) and that natural should be left to their natural state. Well, that's what I was told. There was a lot more to it but I can't really remember. There are other reasons also, one was that was how some of them felt about their hair, others that was what guides told them. Sometimes it was kept long for practical reasons. I wish I could remember it and it really bugs me that I can't.
But anyway that was what I have been told or I have learned. But personally I like my hair long. It suits me =)
Old 02-06-2014, 05:19 PM
elisi

just speaking for me, hair is our power. old beliefs say if someone has your hair they can cast witching on you.

hair also is like an antennae-picking up energies.

some of my friends say, 'oh, your older now, don't you think you should cut your hair?'

i say nay, nay. :)