Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Yoga

Old 04-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Pathfinder
the horror behind bikram yoga?

Hey i just joined a month of classes in a bikram studio now i am reading horrible things about this yoga

The creator ive read raped and abused woman? just this stuff makes me sick and i want no part in it, like i am practicing the yoga created by the devil???

The poses seem good and normal like all other yoga but there is such horror behind this? thoughts? SOS
Old 04-11-2015, 10:22 PM
Master
I guess you cant get out of the contract , I dont know the story but try to take the best from the yoga experience I guess...if you really dont feel its kosha ,just learn from the experience and make a statement by not going and telling them why ,maybe it will generate a honest response..
Old 08-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Master

I think you made a wrong choice by going to Bikram studio. Best you can do now is learn the poses for the month that you paid for. Everthing I have read about the founder of this yoga is unsavory to say the least.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Deactivated Account

He was born in India and the culture in india teaches men to be very abusive and disrespectful to women, so I wouldn't be surprised if the rape rumours are true.

It's my understanding that Yoga is ancient and goes back long before he was born and over the years people made it into what it is now, so it really has nothing to do with him, even though he tried copyrighting it and saying it was his own idea. He said the hot temperature is to mimic the climate of India, but stretching in a steam room or sauna or hot temperature is not a original idea created by him, I'm pretty sure people already knew that when they stretch in a hot temperature their muscles loosen up better.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge the yoga practice just because of the person who claimed to invent it. It has a lot of health benefits.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Nettles

There are perverts within about every group out there. The value to seek is in the class itself, the class you are in. Is the instructor you are currently working with a pervert?
What you get out of the class is entirely your choice. You are not wrong to be put off by some sexual deviant from the 70's who basically took Hatha yoga and changed it up a bit to create something marketable then sold it. You could also decide that whatever happened decades ago with one guy is irrelevant to whether or not you are getting something out of your class. I'm a vegetarian but I am not going to start eating meat because Hitler was also a vegetarian.
Yoga is a "be in the moment" kind of thing, hanging on to something from the past to the detriment of potential growth in the present is a choice and whatever choice you make, it is the right one for you, that is what matters most.
Personally, I've stuck with Hatha for a long while. I have watched altered forms of it, re-packaged, come and go. Perhaps you could find a Hatha class?