Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Lifestyle > Health

Old 21-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Newbie ;)

Anxiety meds and anti depressants?

I would like to get your input and beliefs on anti anxiety meds on anti depressants? Before you do though, I would like to say that not all people with anxiety or depression can just meditate or give it to God. Sometimes it is an actual chemical imbalance in the brain.

That being said, I am having an issue with my anxiety medication. I have been on anxiety meds for about 3 years now. The one I am on now has been making me feel emotionally numb. Things that used to bring me so much joy and excitement, I no longer get excited about. The medication I am on effects the chemicals responsible for feeling love. This means I have not been able to meditate, feel goosebumps or butterfly's or anything. I'm a medicated zombie. I wanted to get some advice. To fix this, should I go to my psychiatrist and ask to be put on a different med or to add meds, or should I tapper off of medication all together? I don't want to feel numb, but I also don't want to be as debilitated from anxiety as I was.
Old 22-06-2016, 02:51 AM
Master
I think they can help, but finding that right balance where you can experience emotions, but not be a complete zombie can be a challenge for some people. I myself am still trying to figure out the right cocktail to help me out with my own anxiety, thoughts of suicide and insomnia issues.

Ironically, it was my soul's own negative aspects and some questionable things done to me by my guides at my soul's request that caused me to seek the assistance of prescription drugs. Before that, I had been all natural remedy based, I loathed the idea of being on drugs and had to take quite a slice of humble pie.

I can safely say I'm better off emotionally for it. More stable, I was all over the place.

You however, I think might benefit from talking to your doctor about some other meds, they simply may not have found the right one for you. And if things continue to not work, then I would try the natural route with herbs/incense, whatnot. Different bodies respond to different methods. :)

Take care, and if you ever need to talk, feel free to pm me. I'm willing to listen.
Old 22-06-2016, 02:59 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostindigo
I would like to get your input and beliefs on anti anxiety meds on anti depressants? Before you do though, I would like to say that not all people with anxiety or depression can just meditate or give it to God. Sometimes it is an actual chemical imbalance in the brain.

That being said, I am having an issue with my anxiety medication. I have been on anxiety meds for about 3 years now. The one I am on now has been making me feel emotionally numb. Things that used to bring me so much joy and excitement, I no longer get excited about. The medication I am on effects the chemicals responsible for feeling love. This means I have not been able to meditate, feel goosebumps or butterfly's or anything. I'm a medicated zombie. I wanted to get some advice. To fix this, should I go to my psychiatrist and ask to be put on a different med or to add meds, or should I tapper off of medication all together? I don't want to feel numb, but I also don't want to be as debilitated from anxiety as I was.

None of us here are qualified to tell you to tapper off of your medication. Only you can make that decision with your doctor. If you are experiencing such issues you should speak with your doctor about them, and if they are not giving you the help you seek, or the answers you are looking for, look for another doctor.

I do feel your pain, as I was on those medicines years ago and they do make you feel like a zombie. As that is part of what they do to help regulate the chemistry in your brain as well as your reactions to stimuli that would trigger an episode. It was not a fun time for me. I am so much happier and healthier without them. However, not everyone can go without medicine and some people swear by them and how much they changed their life. So perhaps a different one could help you tremendously.

There are others things that can help besides just taking pills as the answers to anxiety/depression. Such as diet and lifestyle changes. They are crucial in helping our lives improve and is helpful for stress/diet/depression. As is exercise.

If you are experiencing depression/anxiety make sure you do seek help of someone to talk to to help you cope with things and to help you deal and heal yourself as there is usually an underlying issue that needs to be healed. And just taking pills will not do that.
Old 22-06-2016, 07:22 AM
Master
Maybe google the Recovery Approach to mental health and see what comes up .
Old 22-06-2016, 05:01 PM
Master
I have similar issues with mine as well. I have talked to my doctor about lowering my dosage, and he was in agreement to give it a shot. we're starting slowly and lowering it by 5mg, and we'll see how I adjust to that.
(mine is also chemical)

Talk to your doctor.

I also went thru talk therapy for 3 years and resolved a lot of my issues. I graduated from therapy this past April. I feel tons better and rarely have any anxiety anymore, which is why my doctor was on board with adjusting the dosages. I am looking to get off of them totally, eventually. It will take time and I don't want to rush it.

good luck
Old 22-06-2016, 05:42 PM
Master
wish i new iv bean anxses a lot on off u cud say mre so thes days coz of myms mums demsaea u cud say can havme a nrevs wek

i dream dreams all dreams
🌟🌟🌙🌙☔☔🌆🌆🌁😈😎😒💋💑💑💑💌🍨🍩🍔🌟🌟🌟✴🍩🍔
Old 23-06-2016, 07:39 AM
Lorelyen

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostindigo

The problem with almost all medicines are their "side effects". To me this means that besides targeting what they're supposed to, they're also interfering with other body systems that they shouldn't. Pharma and doctors have to balance risks.

Anti-depressants are among the worst. As a professional insomniac I was prescribed Amitryptaline - for my insomnia, they said. But it turned me into a zombi. I soon found out it was an anti-depressant which is in fact commonly prescribed for insomnia (because, they allege, it's non-addictive).

Thinking about it, I wondered if the aim wasn't to blot a patient out completely to "put space" between the source of the depression and the present... in the hope the reason for the depression would be what? forgotten? That seems to be the way with anti-depressants even though it doesn't treat an ailment of physiological imbalance.

The best way is probably to wean yourself off them by taking an increasingly lower dose. Perhaps your doctor would approve that. Maybe there's a weaker version of the same medicine (look it up on the internet) or use a pill-mate to cut tablets in pieces - no use if it's a capsule so you may have to ask doc to prescribe it in pill form.

What does your doctor say about your situation?

Old 23-06-2016, 05:24 PM
Pathfinder

I strongly advise talking to your doctor. He/she might advise a change in dosage, or a change in meds, or even might suggest taking you off the medication entirely. But it is, in my opinion, very unwise to try removing yourself from medication. Even if you believe you know how to taper off safely, there are still risks involved and it's best to have supervision from a professional.

There are some herbal etc. remedies that have similar effects to medications without the side effects. Again, do not make a change from your meds to one of these without consulting your doctor, and don't start taking a supplement while still on your meds unless the doctor advises it. (Some herbal remedies have negative interactions with some medications.)

Hopefully you have a mental health service provider who will listen to you and collaborate with you on finding the best solution and treatment.
Old 23-06-2016, 05:35 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverL
I strongly advise talking to your doctor. He/she might advise a change in dosage, or a change in meds, or even might suggest taking you off the medication entirely. But it is, in my opinion, very unwise to try removing yourself from medication. Even if you believe you know how to taper off safely, there are still risks involved and it's best to have supervision from a professional.

There are some herbal etc. remedies that have similar effects to medications without the side effects. Again, do not make a change from your meds to one of these without consulting your doctor, and don't start taking a supplement while still on your meds unless the doctor advises it. (Some herbal remedies have negative interactions with some medications.)

Hopefully you have a mental health service provider who will listen to you and collaborate with you on finding the best solution and treatment.

Good advice, River.

I highly recommend not tapering off on your own. There are also physical effects to take into consideration, being a female, it could throw your whole hormone system off balance. Three years is a long time on a medication, your body has already adjusted to it, definitely talk to a health professional or get a second opinion, maybe even consider a holistic physician. Good luck.

As a side note, the forum's health rule
Old 23-06-2016, 05:37 PM
Newbie ;)

I agree with talking to your doctor and making some sort of change in meds. Maybe there's a different one that works better for you. I have been on anti-anxiety / depression meds for 14 years. It was always the same kind, until about 2 years ago I felt that it was giving me a side effect that I didn't want to experience. So, my Dr. put me on 3 - 4 others to try and they made me a complete mess. So -- I went back to the original medication as the pros completely outweigh the cons.