Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spirituality

Old 19-12-2019, 08:05 AM
Master
ANY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SPIRITUALIST, SPIRITIST, AND SPIRITUALITY?

I noticed some claim Spiritualist, Spiritist and Spirituality are all the same.

Please discuss this subject.

Can these words be used interchangeably or are they seperate words?

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 19-12-2019, 06:11 PM
Master

It might help to begin with some simple definitions based on common usage.

Spiritualist - someone who believes that the spirits of the dead exist and have both the ability and the inclination to communicate with the living. Spiritualism usually involves a medium for such communication. A spiritualist church service has the usual hymns and prayers but also has a session led by a medium, and perhaps also healing.

Spiritism - a spiritualistic philosophy which began in the 19th century based on the teachings of Allan Kardec. Spiritist philosophy postulates that humans, along with all other living beings, are essentially immortal spirits that temporarily inhabit physical bodies for several necessary incarnations to attain moral and intellectual improvement.

Spirituality - a broad term which applies to philosophies and practices based around humans as spiritual beings rather than material beings. Spirituality concerns the relationship between the individual and the transcendent. A spiritual person may not identify with any particular religion, but instead looks within for their own connection to the Divine.

I would consider these to be three separate words describing different things. Others may use them interchangeably, perhaps because they do not realise the subtle differences in meaning.

Peace
Old 21-12-2019, 03:44 PM
Master
How does reincarnation interact with these three groups?

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 21-12-2019, 05:27 PM
Master

I couldn't say. Spiritualists obviously accept the idea of survival after physical death, but I don't know if they tend to believe in reincarnation. I have never read Allan Kardec, so I don't know the exact beliefs of spiritists. And while many who consider themselves to be spiritual would accept reincarnation as a fact on their spiritual journey, no doubt there are exceptions.

While I consider these three groups as being different, there are areas where their philosophies and beliefs overlap.

Peace
Old 26-12-2019, 04:56 AM
Master

I think reincarnation belief system may tie in with any of those things but for some it may not eg you could get a spiritualist who does not believe in reincarnation. Many who are into spirituality, do not believe in reincarnation. It's just another belief.
Old 27-12-2019, 04:30 AM
leadville

Trying to pin these terms down is like trying to tie up smoke with string. There are considerable differences - but also significant similarities - across all three. What any individual considers as one thing or as one of the other things is down to that individual.

No matter how many words of definition we may use, no matter how closely prescribed one may try to make 'em, folk will use whatever word(s) they choose to mean whatever that individual wants it/them to mean.

Consider these as examples: spiritual, spirit, Spirit, spiritualism, Spiritualism, medium, psychic, sensitive, Spiritualist, Spiritist, spiritualist. I've deliberately used upper and lower case and I can ascribe a specific meaning to every one of those similar words. It wouldn't mean that my meaning would be right and all others would be wrong but I don't use any two or more of them interchangeably and I know EXACTLY what I mean when I use any single one or any number of them.

Over the past decade and a half I've come to accept there's no point in trying to define anything to do with the psychic/spiritual field and I don't now bother.
Old 27-12-2019, 04:37 AM
leadville

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthat
I couldn't say. Spiritualists obviously accept the idea of survival after physical death, but I don't know if they tend to believe in reincarnation. I have never read Allan Kardec, so I don't know the exact beliefs of spiritists. And while many who consider themselves to be spiritual would accept reincarnation as a fact on their spiritual journey, no doubt there are exceptions.

While I consider these three groups as being different, there are areas where their philosophies and beliefs overlap.

Peace

Spiritualists come in different flavours. I am a Spiritualist and I am totally persuaded we live more than one earth life - but Modern Spiritualism didn't teach or persuade me of that! I've read Kardec but there's no great need for anyone to wade through all that old-fashioned gumpf in The Spirits Book as a very good explanation of Spiritism can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBd0ARo6Zs

My conclusion after viewing all the parts is that Spiritualism - the philosophy and religion - isn't significantly different from Spiritism. I expect others will disagree and if they've looked at both in depth I'll be content to accept their reaching a different conclusion from my own.
Old 27-12-2019, 06:22 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadville
Spiritualists come in different flavours. I am a Spiritualist and I am totally persuaded we live more than one earth life - but Modern Spiritualism didn't teach or persuade me of that! I've read Kardec but there's no great need for anyone to wade through all that old-fashioned gumpf in The Spirits Book as a very good explanation of Spiritism can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvBd0ARo6Zs

My conclusion after viewing all the parts is that Spiritualism - the philosophy and religion - isn't significantly different from Spiritism. I expect others will disagree and if they've looked at both in depth I'll be content to accept their reaching a different conclusion from my own.

Thanks for the clarification.

Peace