Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Spiritual Development

Old 17-03-2019, 12:03 AM
Deactivated Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean breeze
If its between the rich and poor, yeah i would also say the rich has a higher chance.

There could be many reasons a person may take a vow for poverty (probably out of foolishness) or seek to become wealthy. I don't think anyone actually seeks enlightenment. More likely seeking something else in the name of enlightenment. Regardless of income status, one is more likely to stumble upon enlightenment without realizing it. Like walking through a garden only to stumble and fall into a black hole.

I took a vow of poverty because a church indoctrinated it's members to be poor and not ask for more than crumbs. It was a way to control it's members.
The poor and meek reach heaven or some silly stuff like that.
We had to be very good at letting our resources go freely to the church so it wasn't letting go which I had a struggle with on my spiritual path... It was believing that I am worthy enough to hold on.

Now days I have better self value and joyfully accept more than just crumbs.
But one thing the vow of poverty taught me... Is not to be afraid of hard times lol... I aced that lesson haha.
Old 17-03-2019, 05:52 AM
Knower

There have already been many great replies but I'll throw my 2 cents in even if I'm repeating what has already been said:

I think it can go both ways. Sometimes a challenging environment can really give one the motivation to grow spiritually. But of course, if things are too challenging then survival is probably the highest priority.

On the other side of things if one has a rich/easy life then they might be too consumed by their comforts and become a little lazy.
Old 17-03-2019, 09:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldheart
I took a vow of poverty because a church indoctrinated it's members to be poor and not ask for more than crumbs. It was a way to control it's members.
The poor and meek reach heaven or some silly stuff like that.
We had to be very good at letting our resources go freely to the church so it wasn't letting go which I had a struggle with on my spiritual path... It was believing that I am worthy enough to hold on.

Now days I have better self value and joyfully accept more than just crumbs.
But one thing the vow of poverty taught me... Is not to be afraid of hard times lol... I aced that lesson haha.
Glad to hear it. I think this ''vow of poverty'' makes no sense. Look how wealthy the churches became while everyone else was meant to stay poor. So what is happening is power and choice is giving to a select few and everyone else is presented with little and just a self fulfilling prophecy that they have no agency and that enjoying this world is an awful thing to do.

It's clearly better to generate wealth and use that wealth to make positive changes by yourself. That wealth could be used to start/support large humanitarian projects or you could own a large piece of land for conservation purposes..
Old 17-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespiritual1
What are your thoughts about the relation between wealth and enlightenment?
Also share your analysis of my opinion. Thank you.

I remember what Paramahansa said after he saw many past lives...many meditating in the mountains.
He learned more when he was a very poor, single, mother having to feed many children.

Anyone that says he has no time to meditate, pray, acknowledge God has a
fool talking to him inside.
You asked what we thought, lol ...I would say, 'beware' of the egoic mind that tells you these things. It is untrue...lies...that is it's job.

When you are in love...do you have time to remember the last evening with your love.
As you heat water, cook food, walk to class do you have time to place your thoughts on God or some scripture
from any source that is truthful and uplifting?

Can you rely on God secretly inside to give you all the help and strength you need, thus,...push thoughts out
of your head that you need to be 'something else' to connect yourself to the the One and Only, the All That Is?

Get concepts of enlightenment out of your head...keep God near you in your mind....soon He will be in your heart.

I hope you come back and read all these.

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 17-03-2019, 02:03 PM
Molearner

I am reminded that there is a danger to ASSUME anything...…..:) As you have heard to assume anything can easily make an A** out of you and me....:) When I spoke of 'a vow of poverty', I had in mind as referring to monastic orders. What I am seeing here is some determination to assert that one can serve two masters, God and money. Maybe some can do this and maybe so but I would contend it is difficult.
Old 17-03-2019, 02:21 PM
Master

No money ... yearning, desiring

Money ... clinging, fearing

What’s common to both? Externalisation.

What’s common to enlightenment or awakening, ascension, becoming ...? Internalisation. Divine connection. Love enablement.

Old 17-03-2019, 02:51 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
I am reminded that there is a danger to ASSUME anything...…..:) As you have heard to assume anything can easily make an A** out of you and me....:) When I spoke of 'a vow of poverty', I had in mind as referring to monastic orders. What I am seeing here is some determination to assert that one can serve two masters, God and money. Maybe some can do this and maybe so but I would contend it is difficult.
When does one “serve” money? For one person 1000 euros or dollars is a lot, for another it is nothing. For one person “serving” God means the monastery, for another it’s about incorporating spirituality in daily life next to life’s duties. “Serving” money or God is a subjective, individualized matter. Poverty is subjective too..

Spiritual discussions, using concepts and words used thousands of years ago in different contexts, no longer have the same meaning in today’s context..
Old 17-03-2019, 03:07 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker

No money ... yearning, desiring

Money ... clinging, fearing

What’s common to both? Externalisation.

What’s common to enlightenment or awakening, ascension, becoming ...? Internalisation. Divine connection. Love enablement.

Unseeking Seeker,

This borders on perfection. Concise, precise and easily memorable. Additionally, one can see that attachment is evident in both scenarios. Thank you for this gem of wisdom...:)
Old 17-03-2019, 03:18 PM
Deactivated Account

I would've thought it the opposite. A poor person has more need to find meaning in life? And therefore will search inside himself for God.
Old 17-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Master
Hello,

I am going to share some thoughts this discussion brings.

Being spiritual is not based on a persons wealth, but upon how a person lives life.

I have never been what would be seen as rich in regards to material wealth.
I have been blessed with the riches of loving family and friends. They have supported me and taught me about life that no amount of material wealth can bring.

A person may be seen/assumed as having it made in the shade because he/she lives a life a luxury. This same person may be very alone in his/her wealth, having no one who truly supports them.

At the same time can have material wealth and be very generous with supporting others, and be very loving.

As far as poor, if based upon just material wealth can be judged one is such in social terms. Some have very little to give in regards to material wealth, yet give from the heart and very rich in love and compassion.

To judge another just upon material wealth is a shallow view, IMO. For material things come and go and in time forgotten, but the support and love one gives (rich or poor) lives on in remembersance, in what inspires others, and in the heart of others.