Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 23-07-2019, 06:10 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus
Exodus 34 is simply additional commandments. Not a replacement of the first.
In the new testament, Paul goes into a soliloquy about how the first and initial set proves sin in humanity.
He stated he wouldn't even know what covetousness was, if it wasn't listed.

The Commandments were definitely not set in stone as over time they have been changed and altered to suit.

Groups of Jews and Christians changed them from time to time. One group tightened the prohibition of killing, another extended the prohibition of adultery by sexual ethical norms, a third group added a new commandment for the construction of a sacred site.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:19 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
a third group added a new commandment for the construction of a sacred site.

You mean the Samaritans, I heard they did that?
Paul's idea that the law, which was designed to avoid sin, is practically useless except to convict everyone of sin, must seem strange to Jews. It reminds me of the very first days of my attraction to Christianity, Jesus attracted me but I had no clue what Paul was going on about! Now I view Paul as a theologian with his own ideas trying to make sense of Jesus like everyone else not essential to believe everything he says although that makes me highly suspect to other Christians my intentions are good i just see things a little differently
Old 23-07-2019, 03:27 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The Commandments were definitely not set in stone as over time they have been changed and altered to suit.

Groups of Jews and Christians changed them from time to time. One group tightened the prohibition of killing, another extended the prohibition of adultery by sexual ethical norms, a third group added a new commandment for the construction of a sacred site.

"Tightened"?

"Extended the prohibition..."?

What new commandment? What's "new"?

The only "new commandment" comes from the Lord Himself, in the new testament to love one another.

Like the rest of your posts sky, you like to bend things to your own fancy, but in fact, of course, it ain't so.

D.M., What's confusing about St. Paul? He's clear and concise.
Another strange post.
So yes, since we are imperfect, the Law convicts us. So, after it was given, the Almighty set about establishing the atoning practices, which are the foundation upon which the Messiah wrought salvation for all.

"There is no place in this new kind of physics for both the field and matter, for the field is the only reality." - A. Einstein
Old 23-07-2019, 04:05 PM
Master

Quote:
"Tightened"?

The only "new commandment" comes from the Lord Himself, in the new testament to love one another.

Like the rest of your posts sky, you like to bend things to your own fancy, but in fact, of course, it ain't so.

Another strange post.
So yes, since we are imperfect, the Law convicts us. So, after it was given, the Almighty set about establishing the atoning practices, which are the foundation upon which the Messiah wrought salvation for all.

There are some people that can't stand christianity, they are obsessed with it, they would do and say anything to disapprove it, these people have no courage to show their true nature, they come as friends to christianity ( you see them in the christian circles ) but at the same time they bend all the christians teachings.The world is full of such people, stay away from them.

I've always seen the law as the true nature of the true Creator, perfect in every way, that's why the law was/is so harsh and nobody could keep it, except Jesus.As long we brake the law of God, the very law that can be stated in two simple laws, love the Creator more than anything and love your neighbour as yourself, we are still imperfect, yet Jesus said "be perfect" as your Father is perfect, in other words, perfection is at hand for everyone, in truth, we are all perfect because we are all created in the image of the Creator, but in reality, in this illusion we call reality, we are all imperfect and if you say that you are not, then you are only deceiving yourself, can you love like Jesus? Do you think like Jesus? Do you talk like Jesus? Do you give like Jesus? Do you have faith like Jesus? This is the standard, Jesus Christ, He is the example, the Kingdom of God is at hand to all of us, it's not a problem of becoming part of it, it's a problem of choosing so.When one is able to be like Jesus in every way, then that person, man or woman, can be called "perfect".Asking forgiveness for your sins is like accepting that you are not perfect because this is the only way you can be perfect, giving up your ego.The sin is the transgression of the law, or in other words, doing the opposite of what the law states.Look at all the apostles, they became perfect but they were so so humble that they considered themselves servants of God and of humanity, and this is so so great that I can't put it in words...
Old 23-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmartin
Paul's idea that the law, which was designed to avoid sin, is practically useless except to convict everyone of sin, must seem strange to Jews. It reminds me of the very first days of my attraction to Christianity, Jesus attracted me but I had no clue what Paul was going on about! Now I view Paul as a theologian with his own ideas trying to make sense of Jesus like everyone else not essential to believe everything he says although that makes me highly suspect to other Christians my intentions are good i just see things a little differently

From what I have read David it was the Pharisees, maybe others also did, who knows.

Read Mark 7:1-13.
Old 23-07-2019, 04:21 PM
Master
Quote:
"Tightened"?

Another strange post.

Sorry Morph but the commandments were altered, if you do a little research you will see.
Old 23-07-2019, 04:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan
There are some people that can't stand christianity, they are obsessed with it, they would do and say anything to disapprove it, these people have no courage to show their true nature, they come as friends to christianity ( you see them in the christian circles ) but at the same time they bend all the christians teachings.The world is full of such people, stay away from them.

I've always seen the law as the true nature of the true Creator, perfect in every way, that's why the law was/is so harsh and nobody could keep it, except Jesus.As long we brake the law of God, the very law that can be stated in two simple laws, love the Creator more than anything and love your neighbour as yourself, we are still imperfect, yet Jesus said "be perfect" as your Father is perfect, in other words, perfection is at hand for everyone, in truth, we are all perfect because we are all created in the image of the Creator, but in reality, in this illusion we call reality, we are all imperfect and if you say that you are not, then you are only deceiving yourself, can you love like Jesus? Do you think like Jesus? Do you talk like Jesus? Do you give like Jesus? Do you have faith like Jesus? This is the standard, Jesus Christ, He is the example, the Kingdom of God is at hand to all of us, it's not a problem of becoming part of it, it's a problem of choosing so.When one is able to be like Jesus in every way, then that person, man or woman, can be called "perfect".Asking forgiveness for your sins is like accepting that you are not perfect because this is the only way you can be perfect, giving up your ego.The sin is the transgression of the law, or in other words, doing the opposite of what the law states.Look at all the apostles, they became perfect but they were so so humble that they considered themselves servants of God and of humanity, and this is so so great that I can't put it in words...

Yes I agree with you, stay away from bent Christianity
Old 23-07-2019, 04:54 PM
Master
Quote:

You are right David, I have just found this article.

" The Samaritan Jews went to the lengths of making an insertion in the original itself. "Without further ado, the Samaritans concentrated the Ten Commandments of the Torah into nine, only to add a different tenth commandment probably towards the end of the 2nd century BC", according to the author. "With it, in competing with the Jewish temple in Jerusalem, they legitimised the construction of a sacred site on Mount Gerizim in Samaria - a deliberate dissociation from the majority of Jews." Woven into the Decalogue, a highly binding character was thus bestowed on this commandment. "The basic norms of a group were charged with religious normativity. This could also be practically achieved by norms, if not by being included among the Ten Commandments, but being textually shifted into their vicinity."

Looks like many different groups changed them to suit their agenda.
Old 23-07-2019, 08:33 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatMan

i must admit i'm on the fringes of Christianity and don't see things through the same lens as most Christians as regards sin, the law, atonement. Those things are said to be what defines true Christianity. But emphasise them too much and is it Christianity any more? There are some who do seek to undermine everything about Christianity. But all I'm doing is expressing the way it seems true to me. Certainly fundamentalists have a history of ending up very anti-Christian. The truth is somewhere in between i guess

This probably sounds very much like watering down and 'bending' Christian teachings you meant, but i feel its actually the truth can't be perfectly defined in any teaching or scripture or anything like that it's really surprising, knowing what i know now, i know that understandings of what 'truth' is are very different from each other and each to their own, there are more similarities than differences but the differences are unthinkably different!
Old 23-07-2019, 09:51 PM
Master

Quote:
i must admit i'm on the fringes of Christianity and don't see things through the same lens as most Christians as regards sin, the law, atonement. Those things are said to be what defines true Christianity. But emphasise them too much and is it Christianity any more? There are some who do seek to undermine everything about Christianity. But all I'm doing is expressing the way it seems true to me. Certainly fundamentalists have a history of ending up very anti-Christian. The truth is somewhere in between i guess

This probably sounds very much like watering down and 'bending' Christian teachings you meant, but i feel its actually the truth can't be perfectly defined in any teaching or scripture or anything like that it's really surprising, knowing what i know now, i know that understandings of what 'truth' is are very different from each other and each to their own, there are more similarities than differences but the differences are unthinkably different!

I was not talking about you, I really can't understand why some people feel like trying to disapprove the core teachings of a belief... I am a christian myself and I never felt such desire to disapprove people's beliefs.. and I met face to face with people that had a different belief than mine.. I have this belief of mine that if a person has a good heart, then there's no problem to talk with such a person.I must say that the muslims were the most friendly people I ever met and I was a christian among many muslims.

This is the problem, some people make an obsession for their belief and others make an obsession against the belief of other people and this is how bad things happen in the name of religion.