Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 05-08-2023, 03:50 PM
Master

Some Christian persons and groups reject Revelations in various ways. For example Martin Luther, a German priest, theologian, author, hymnwriter, professor, and Augustinian friar. Luther was the seminal figure of the Protestant Reformation, and his theological beliefs form the basis of Lutheranism.

Luther separated revelation from the rest of the canon. He rejected Revelation because of what he called the author’s hubris and because he thought it obscured Christ for the ordinary believer. In his 1522 Preface to the Revelation of Saint John, Luther said: “My spirit cannot accommodate itself to this book. For me this is reason not to think highly of it: Christ is neither taught nor known in it” (Luther’s Works 35:399).

Another Christian who rejected Revelation was Huldrych Zwingli (January 1, 1484 – October 11, 1531)He was the leader of the Protestant Reformation in Switzerland and the founder of the Swiss Reformed churches. Separately from Martin Luther, Zwingli arrived at similar final beliefs by studying the Bible from the point of view of a humanist scholar.

Zwingli said he could not accept Revelation because of its considerable use of angels encouraged what he considered an immature, pious mysticism, and its liturgical format was too close to the Catholic mass. He says: “With the Apocalypse, we have no concern, for it is not a biblical book, I can, if I so will, reject its testimonies” (quoted in Barclay, 1960:1.1).

Revelation has interesting history. For example, the Council of Laodicea (AD 363) omits it as a canonical book. But then the Council of Rome (AD 382). accepts it as cannon.

Revelation was approved by the Eastern Orthodox Council in Trullo in 692, but rejected by a Saint in the Roman Cathodic church, Pope Sergius I, (650 – 8 September 701) Pope Sergius rejected the canons as invalid and declared that he would "rather die than consent to erroneous novelties." But then later Councils all approved revelation to be a part of the cannon I think.
Old 05-08-2023, 04:59 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
Some Christian persons and groups reject Revelations in various ways. For example Martin Luther, a German priest, theologian, author, hymnwriter, professor, and Augustinian friar. Luther was the seminal figure of the Protestant Reformation, and his theological beliefs form the basis of Lutheranism.

Maisy,

Thanks so much for providing this background. It is good to be cautious about Revelations. Revelations is symbolism and mystery and attempted interpretations can rapidly take on the same nature that conspiracy theories do. In other words, it can be used to twist one into constructing a narrative that they wish you to believe.

Let us admit that we often have only a shallow interpretation of the rest of scripture because we do not permit ourselves to go beyond our adherence to a literal reading of Scripture…..and Revelations presents a challenge on a much higher level…..
Old 06-08-2023, 02:28 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner
Revelations is symbolism and mystery and attempted interpretations can rapidly take on the same nature that conspiracy theories do. In other words, it can be used to twist one into constructing a narrative that they wish you to believe.

Is this what Jesus' followers did back in the first century?

Today we have a plethora of Bibles. Some make it known that God has a name: some don't. If you look at the texts these Bibles were translated from, they are almost identical but when you look at the final translation, a person might wonder how that can be.

Today, we have more choices as to what to believe.

⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜ ⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜⁜

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:50 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn

Today we have a plethora of Bibles. Some make it known that God has a name: some don't.

Every Bible that contains 'Exodus 3:14' shows that God has a name John.
Which version doesn’t make Gods name known ?
Old 06-08-2023, 01:51 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Every Bible that contains 'Exodus 3:14' shows that God has a name John.
Which version doesn’t make Gods name known ?

That verse doesn't look like a name to me.

Exodus 3:14
New International Version
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you

If someone asked me my name and I say, "I am who I am" to me I am basically refusing to give my name.

If somebody asked me, "who are you?" and I said, well you're looking at me. To me that again is not telling my name. To me, it's refusing to or playing word games.

Then if they said, "I am who I am" and somebody else asked me who is that? I may say "I asked them, seems to be Mr I am who I am. or I am for short.

That seems to be another strange passage to me or weird translations or something. I have to go to work now but I usually go look for the original Greek or Arabic or original language it was written in and translate the original words for myself and look up all translations etc. Look at the context too, the passages around it.

To me God would not have a name itself though we lower beings could make up a name for ourselves. I don't see God as human or person, I see God as beyond our understanding. Though we can experience and connect to God in many ways I think and are God in a sense. Connected.
Old 06-08-2023, 02:05 PM
Master
Why Does God Call Himself "I Am Who I Am"?

https://hebraicthought.org/meaning-o...ir%20deliverer.

This may help Maisy....
Old 06-08-2023, 02:26 PM
Master
I found the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible to be a major eye opener especially when compared to the Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible. For example, God's name is used through out the New Jerusalem Bible whereas in the Douay-Rheims Bible, a person may never know that God has a name.

The texts used for each of these translations are basically the same in this case, but how they were rendered into English can become a study in of itself.

Happiness is the result of an enlightened mind whereas suffering is caused by a distorted mind.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:30 PM
Molearner

Quote:
I found the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible to be a major eye opener especially when compared to the Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible.

In which way ? Any brief examples ?
Old 06-08-2023, 02:37 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy
That verse doesn't look like a name to me.

When you read that scripture in context, people know who is being spoken about.

It can be akin to when we use the expression "What's his name": we generally know who we are talking about.

Old 06-08-2023, 02:48 PM
Master
Quote:
I found the Catholic New Jerusalem Bible to be a major eye opener especially when compared to the Catholic Douay-Rheims Bible

I like 'eye openers' can you point out a few verses please....