Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Wicca

Old 02-02-2011, 06:58 PM
MoonWillow

Meditation

Hi,

I'm just starting out and discovering Wicca. One of the things that I would like to know how to do properly is Meditation.

All advice is great appreciated.

M.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Master
Hello.

Meditation is not wiccan or Buddhist nor is it secular in any way. Meditation is observation.

Every practice of meditation is a universal practice so the visualization of Buddah or this god or that god are not true to the universal practice of meditation.

It starts with the breath. The breath is a conscious activity, as one can stop thier breath, breath deeply, breath shallow, breath fast and breath slow and at our surface level we can control the breath at will.

The breath also operates subconsciously and even when in the deepest sleep our breath operates naturally and easily being regulated in deep subconsciousness.

One can observe breath and it leads into deeper consciousness so meditation practice begins with observing breath.

The mind tends to wander away, following thoughts all over the place, so it takes a bit of practice to observe the breath and remain focused on it.

A Simple Breathing Meditation

The first stage of meditation is to stop distractions and make our mind clearer and more lucid. This can be accomplished by practising a simple breathing meditation. We choose a quiet place to meditate and sit in a comfortable position. We can sit in the traditional cross-legged posture or in any other position that is comfortable. If we wish, we can sit in a chair. The most important thing is to keep our back straight to prevent our mind from becoming sluggish or sleepy.

Remain Aware

We sit with our eyes closed and turn our attention to our breathing. We breathe naturally, preferably through the nostrils, without attempting to control our breath, and we try to become aware of the sensation of the breath as it enters and leaves the nostrils. This sensation is our object of meditation. We should try to concentrate on it to the exclusion of everything else.
At first, our mind will be very busy, and we might even feel that the meditation is making our mind busier; but in reality we are just becoming more aware of how busy our mind actually is. There will be a great temptation to follow the different thoughts as they arise, but we should resist this and remain focused single-pointedly on the sensation of the breath. If we discover that our mind has wandered and is following our thoughts, we should immediately return it to the breath. We should repeat this as many times as necessary until the mind settles on the breath.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:15 AM
dogninja

before you try wicca, cultivate virtue:)
Old 03-02-2011, 08:55 AM
Master
Virtue meaning what, precisely ?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:27 PM
MoonWillow

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I should of worded my post a little better than I did. What I should of said was that I have been discovering Wicca. It's something that I have always felt a connection too right from being a child. It became more as I reached my teenage years. Mostly when I was about 13 years old.

I've never been sure as too why I feel this connection, I just know I always have.

I wasn't sure if I was ' Witch' or ' Wiccan, but I came across this forum and started to read the threads on here.

One of them mentioned how some are ' Witch' some are ' Wiccan' and some are both. I think it said something on the lines of Witch with some Wiccan beliefs. I felt that I connected to that description straight the way.

I'm only just beginning to learn about what I feel is a lifestyle. And that is why I've now joined this forum, so as to learn more.

Meditation has been mentioned a few times in things that I've read to do with Wicca. And how it can assist with things.

So along with learning about Wiccan/ Witch lifestyle/ beliefs I would also like to learn how to meditate correctly..That's what I should of said first time.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonWillow
Thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I should of worded my post a little better than I did. What I should of said was that I have been discovering Wicca. It's something that I have always felt a connection too right from being a child. It became more as I reached my teenage years. Mostly when I was about 13 years old.

I've never been sure as too why I feel this connection, I just know I always have.

I wasn't sure if I was ' Witch' or ' Wiccan, but I came across this forum and started to read the threads on here.

One of them mentioned how some are ' Witch' some are ' Wiccan' and some are both. I think it said something on the lines of Witch with some Wiccan beliefs. I felt that I connected to that description straight the way.

I'm only just beginning to learn about what I feel is a lifestyle. And that is why I've now joined this forum, so as to learn more.

Meditation has been mentioned a few times in things that I've read to do with Wicca. And how it can assist with things.

So along with learning about Wiccan/ Witch lifestyle/ beliefs I would also like to learn how to meditate correctly..That's what I should of said first time.

Thank you for making that clear.

Use the breathing exersize to learn to focus, maintain attention and retain stillness.

You will notice how it deepens your awareness in your first half hour.

Much happiness to you.