Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 16-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Master
Fasting and its benefits.

I have recently been fasting to try it out in an effort to purge my body of toxins and accumulated body fat.

I was really surprised at what it did to me in a pleasant way.

I tried a few months ago to juice fast but only lasted 4 days.

This time I researched the stages of what to expect and it wasn't as scary.

A few weeks ago I made the 5 full days of just a juice in the morning and evening. After the first couple of days you Don't get hungry as much. It sorta goes away and yo drink water instead.

I can see now why it is encouraged in religious traditions because of it power to give the body a chance to rest and detox.

I think it is very underrated as an option in our western culture.

Anyone else tried it?

The end result of a few weeks of it off and on.
7 kg lighter while not dehydrated.
lost the desire for alcohol and junk food.- This really surprised me!
I cant help but eat small meals now.

i was still able to exercise ok.

Most of my most perplexing food related lifestyle problems fixed in a very short time.

Apparently if you do it long enough there is an intense spiritual trip in there too.

I feel HEAPS better.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Master
I think it's admirable when people want to fast. Or even to just lighten up their diet. I think it really depends on the mindset at the time. There are some times that I just can't do it or see doing it. I have lightened up my diet considerably in recent months. I've come close to fasting, but never like 100%. I definitely feel better. Yet this morning...first off, I'm not a breakfast eater except Maybe on weekends, most of the time not. After several months of slowly but surely cutting way back on my intake, the last week being the most 'severe', by about roughly noonish today, I felt starved.

I know I need to look at that, but well, I just think people need to do like you did and research more before they decide to do a fast.

Old 16-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Master
[quote=Silvergirl]I think it's admirable when people want to fast. Or even to just lighten up their diet. I think it really depends on the mindset at the time. There are some times that I just can't do it or see doing it. I have lightened up my diet considerably in recent months. I've come close to fasting, but never like 100%. I definitely feel better. Yet this morning...first off, I'm not a breakfast eater except Maybe on weekends, most of the time not. After several months of slowly but surely cutting way back on my intake, the last week being the most 'severe', by about roughly noonish today, I felt starved.

I know I need to look at that, but well, I just think people need to do like you did and research more before they decide to do a fast.[/quote ]I felt the need to purge my body of the Christmas excesses and accumulated toxins. The funny thing is the fist say 2 days are the worst. the days that follow it are easier and are the ones that detox you best. My wife said my breath was so bad while i was living on body fat.

The thing that kept me going after the first 5 days was being short of cash, I thought to myself, I have probably got a thousand dollars worth of energy saved up around my body I might as well use that up till fortnightly payday to string out the cash.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:40 PM
Master
Yep. I believe it's called ketosis ~ I was told about that when I went on the protein fast diet a long time ago (powder/diet drinks).

Old 16-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Arawn

I've read about fasting and about it's health benefits along with its spiritual benefits. I have been tempted to fast, but my health isn't good enough for me to fast without possibly having negative consequences.

People should definitely research fasting and, if they decide to fast, do it under the eye of their physician just in case something negative happens. Cutting down your intake on liquids and foods to near none or none may not be beneficial for some people due to how their bodies work.

Some people I know have tried it to lose weight, but stopping eating usually means that the body will hold onto calories more and when you do eat, you'll probably gain weight (and not good weight) due to the body having been in survival mode.

I wish luck to anyone who tries to fast, but it isn't for me.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arawn
I've read about fasting and about it's health benefits along with its spiritual benefits. I have been tempted to fast, but my health isn't good enough for me to fast without possibly having negative consequences.

People should definitely research fasting and, if they decide to fast, do it under the eye of their physician just in case something negative happens. Cutting down your intake on liquids and foods to near none or none may not be beneficial for some people due to how their bodies work.

Some people I know have tried it to lose weight, but stopping eating usually means that the body will hold onto calories more and when you do eat, you'll probably gain weight (and not good weight) due to the body having been in survival mode.

I wish luck to anyone who tries to fast, but it isn't for me.
Yeah you have to ask your doctor for sure. You also cant stop water or freshly squeezed juices as they keep you going and flush your body out.

The fruit and veggie juices supply your bodies vitamin needs. Thats the idea your body gets a dose of fresh raw food charged with good things while the water helps expel the bad.
Old 16-02-2012, 10:55 PM
Master
I was just reading an article I googled about ketones ~ using ketone test strips to ascertain if one's body is in ketosis and how much ~ it mentions that sometimes test results won't show you're in ketosis because of HFCS which are far more dangerous than can be believed, because they are in so many products ~ although that is changing due to consumer demands. (HFCS = high fructose corn syrup). Even if a person eliminates them from their diet, it will help one's health. I stopped drinking sodas years ago, and yet I discovered just how many manufactured products have it in, so I read labels really closely. Avoid them and the partially hydrogenated stuff (trans fats) and you will start noticing that you feel better ~ it's a slow process, so be patient.

Old 16-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvergirl
I was just reading an article I googled about ketones ~ using ketone test strips to ascertain if one's body is in ketosis and how much ~ it mentions that sometimes test results won't show you're in ketosis because of HFCS which are far more dangerous than can be believed, because they are in so many products ~ although that is changing due to consumer demands. (HFCS = high fructose corn syrup). Even if a person eliminates them from their diet, it will help one's health. I stopped drinking sodas years ago, and yet I discovered just how many manufactured products have it in, so I read labels really closely. Avoid them and the partially hydrogenated stuff (trans fats) and you will start noticing that you feel better ~ it's a slow process, so be patient.
thats a good point I didn't know that.

In thinking about it I cant imagine those prepackaged preservative filled diet foods they sell us would be too good for us either, they might have that too.

I think I might run the risks associated with consuming freshly juiced fruit and veggies- especially that nasty organic stuff. :)
Old 16-02-2012, 11:25 PM
TeeHee

Perhaps you can share with us L.Worker what has come about in your fast? For me after a week of fasting, I had received a firm understanding of why we fast, and never before felt sensation. I felt the links of a chain that bound me of want and need to the world, but through fasting each link had broken, and in essence since then, never have I felt so much liberty and freedom. To not be in "need" or "want" of anything the earth has to offer, neither by nourishment or worldly ambitions or desires. Have you encountered the same when in your fast?

There are many biblical reasons to fast, but thought that this might be a nice place to give some spiritual insight rather than the physical.
Old 16-02-2012, 11:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeHee
Perhaps you can share with us L.Worker what has come about in your fast? For me after a week of fasting, I had received a firm understanding of why we fast, and never before felt sensation. I felt the links of a chain that bound me of want and need to the world, but through fasting each link had broken, and in essence since then, never have I felt so much liberty and freedom. To not be in "need" or "want" of anything the earth has to offer, neither by nourishment or worldly ambitions or desires.

There are many biblical reasons to fast, but thought that this might be a nice place to give some spiritual insight rather than the physical.
I wrote some things in my OP

One thing I did discover is how I was eating and drinking for emotional reasons rather than just for physical nourishment. I was consuming far in excess of what my body needs. I didnt realize how little it needs to survive..

I broke the chain with junk food and alcohol cravings ( I usually drink a couple of glases of wine every couple of days).

That one really surprised me how that worked. Who would have thought something so simple would do that.

Like you said there is a freedom after, and about day 4 its really trippy when you are all glassy eyed, actually I really liked it in some ways it was fun at the time.

Pretty much what you wrote too.

I was so clear headed after it.

For some reason when you eat solid foood again there is a massive expelling of something yukky out of you and there is a few hurried trips to the tiolet involved. I am not sure why that happens but it does.