Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 05-03-2013, 02:34 AM
Master
Something else is reality instead of ME.

The Abrahamic religions hold the premise that something ELSE is reality instead of their own self.

Islam, Judaism and Christianity all propose that reality lies HIGHER than ones own self. It is the Eastern religions and the practice of I AM which proposes that reality actually IS your own self.

That is the basic difference. I tend to agree with the Western school of thought that reality lies higher than me. The New Age teachings propose that I can be my own reality. But I don't really believe it.

It is a possibility, but it is not a guarranteed FACT. Reality *might* be higher, as the Abrahamic religions teach.

So I say to all the Hindus, Buddhists and New Age believers to be CAREFUL. What if reality actually DID lie higher than our own self? What then? Hey?

Don't put all your eggs into one basket as they say. For if the basket should fall then all your eggs would be broken.

I understand that I have *something* to do with reality, but ultimately who knows?

The Humility, the Pride and the Humiliation.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 AM
Master

So basically, be afraid of what *might* happen if you're wrong. I say get off the fence and don't look back, whatever you choose.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawolf
So basically, be afraid of what *might* happen if you're wrong. I say get off the fence and don't look back, whatever you choose.

Is that what I was trying to say? Not at all. I definitely think that reality (whatever it is) demands respect. It should not be taken lightly.

New Agers seem to believe they can just say I AM and stuff the consequences. But the trouble is that there always are consequences. In the long run they could be serious.

I also feel that Western Spiritual Tradition is getting a right pasting by the Eastern crowd. So I say this: There is a very real difference between the two spiritual systems. Before you go and commit yourself to one or the other make sure you understand WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Old 05-03-2013, 05:28 AM
Master

Why be afraid of someone else's beliefs if you don't believe them? And why do you think people are obligated to consider your beliefs in particular? There are many different religions in the world, if you're concerned about respecting different views of reality in spirituality, there are many to consider.

But why so much fear? I'd rather focus on the positive things I can relate when respecting other religions.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honza
Reality *might* be higher, as the Abrahamic religions teach. So I say to all the Hindus, Buddhists and New Age believers to be CAREFUL. What if reality actually DID lie higher than our own self? What then? Hey?

There's a lot of pluralism that you're missing. Not all Hindus interpret the relativity of wrong and right in one's place in life, as meaning that there is no wrong thing to do that would get you reincarnated in a life full of suffering. Not all Buddhists take the practice of examining one's own attitude, as meaning that one's own attitude is the only illusion of the only reality.

If you did take it that way, and it didn't work for you, then oh well at least you found your way in the end.

But you've gone on quite a high horse, if you don't respect that every single other person on their spiritual path is already taking as much care as they have with their view of reality and the world... just because it's not the same path and view as yours.

And make no mistake, what you say is disrespectful. You aren't telling your own story or sharing your personal feelings. You're telling other people what to do with their own eggs. That, I think, is one advantage of I AM: to set the disclaimer of boundary that this really is your own experience, has the effect, in a shared objective space, of not shoving your beliefs down other people's throats just because it was the best thing for you.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:39 AM
Master
How odd! People are reading fear and disrespect in what I have said, whereas I sense non. I was trying to make a logical/reasonable argument either for or against believing in God. But it invoked a negative reaction.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Master
Quote:
I understand that I have *something* to do with reality, but ultimately who knows?
Hi Honza. I've been following your many threads and it's seems you're making the same observations and asking the same questions, over and over. Not sure why you need to start yet another thread TBH given your concluding statement says it all: Who ultimately knows? You can simply leave it at that. Or better yet, you can try and gain some clarity, and even further your perspectives and understanding, by studying the various spiritual traditions. A good place to find reading material is sacred-texts.com. Given your background in Christianity, I'd suggest you maybe start with Rosicrucian spiritualism.

Last edited by Baile : 05-03-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Master
Quote:
How odd! People are reading fear and disrespect in what I have said, whereas I sense non. I was trying to make a logical/reasonable argument either for or against believing in God. But it invoked a negative reaction.
Obviously a result of your "Hindus, Buddhists and New Age believers to be CAREFUL" comment. Honza, you really do need to deepen your understanding of the interconnectedness of all religious and spiritual traditions. You continually compare, analyse and ponder which tradition or belief system is more correct or more truthful, etc. But that's not the exercise. The point is to learn to see they're all relevant in some way, and that they all contain meaningful truths pertinent to your own spiritual journey.

Last edited by Baile : 05-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:49 PM
Master

Quote:

New Agers seem to believe they can just say I AM and stuff the consequences. But the trouble is that there always are consequences. In the long run they could be serious.
Is it possible you're projecting your own fear here? You've expressed many times not knowing which way to go. being stuck between I AM and Christianity, now you're telling people there are consequences of believing I AM.

It seems pretty obvious from your posts that you're drawn to I AM but are afraid of the consequences if you believe it because of your Christian background. Indecisiveness and fear is no way to live, it's miserable, and that's I why I first said make a decision for yourself and don't look back. I realize it's not easy, facing fear never is.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:41 PM
Bluegreen

Quote:
The Abrahamic religions hold the premise that something ELSE is reality instead of their own self. In the beginning was God. Was there something else besides God out of which God could create souls, this universe? What if there was only God ? What would be the stuff you are made of?

Islam, Judaism and Christianity all propose that reality lies HIGHER than ones own self. It is the Eastern religions and the practice of I AM which proposes that reality actually IS your own self.
I assume that by reality you mean God. If you are made of the stuff of God (sounds disrespectful but isn't meant to be) than you are part of God and God is part of you. All, you included, is ONE.

That is the basic difference. I tend to agree with the Western school of thought that reality lies higher than me. Could this be because there are people who have experienced what you call "reality" and you have not? You would be correct if by "me" you mean your present persona which on SF you call Honza.The New Age teachings propose that I can be my own reality. How do you see 'being your own reality?' What New Age people propose is that you can become aware of your soul, the spark of God or what you call reality. But I don't really believe it.

It is a possibility, but it is not a guarranteed FACT. Reality *might* be higher, as the Abrahamic religions teach. The proof is always personal--there can be no FACT.

So I say to all the Hindus, Buddhists and New Age believers to be CAREFUL. What if reality actually DID lie higher than our own self? What then? Hey? Shouldn't you by the same token be "careful"?

Don't put all your eggs into one basket as they say. For if the basket should fall then all your eggs would be broken.

I understand that I have *something* to do with reality, but ultimately who knows? Could you explain, please, what you mean when you say "I have *something* to do with reality"?

The OT was borrowed and adapted from the Jews who are still waiting for the Messiah.
Christianity is a relatively young religion and Islam is even younger.
Hinduism and Buddhism, on the other hand, are much and much older and still have many believers. Should they be dismissed as worthless?

All roads lead to Rome. All paths lead to the Source.