Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Complementary Therapies & Traditional Medicine > Natural Remedies

Old 30-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Master
What foods are good for autoimmune diseases?

I read that garlic, ginger, and ginkoba should be avoided for people with autoimmune diseases. The reason being that the 3 g's stimulate the immune system. People with autoimmune diseases have over stimulated immune systems. How accurate is this supposition? I thought that garlic and ginger have anti bacterial and viral properties. Ginger can also soothe nausea. And ginkoba is good for memory.

Does anyone know of foods that calm the immune system so that it won't go into overdrive?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berry
I read that garlic, ginger, and ginkoba should be avoided for people with autoimmune diseases. The reason being that the 3 g's stimulate the immune system. People with autoimmune diseases have over stimulated immune systems. How accurate is this supposition? I thought that garlic and ginger have anti bacterial and viral properties. Ginger can also soothe nausea. And ginkoba is good for memory.

Does anyone know of foods that calm the immune system so that it won't go into overdrive?

First of all--every condition comes with its own set of complications and recommendations.

Secondly--ginger is cumulative--it accumulates in the liver--so you would be well advised to use this root (sparingly).

Garlic and Onion are AWESOME and are cooked into practically every meal I prepare.

Ginkgo Biloba is an herb I had trouble with--it made me eat!

Which auto-immune disease have you been diagnosed with? Perhaps--I can help you to adjust your diet--once I know what you are facing.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:06 PM
Master
It's discoid lupus. I forgot ginseng, the 4th g. I didn't know that about ginger. I love that stuff. I also cook with garlic and onions daily. Note to self: Avoid ginkgo biloba!
Old 04-09-2013, 12:49 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
It's discoid lupus. I forgot ginseng, the 4th g. I didn't know that about ginger. I love that stuff. I also cook with garlic and onions daily. Note to self: Avoid ginkgo biloba!

I have SLE (systemic lupus erythematosis) and I have managed my condition through holistic means for more than 20 years.

Anyone with lupus (of any form) has an allergy to their own estrogen and this is why your cycles are so bad.

You should avoid soy, sugar, and alcohol--for starters--and follow the pattern of protein foods that I posted on your other thread.

Raw cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower--will help your body to metabolize the influx of estrogen that you get during your cycle. I get an influx about a week prior to and another on day 4--the main symptom is that my hands, joints, and muscles swell and contract. Migraines are common for me--just following a cycle (as well).

Tumeric is a super anti-inflammatory--one capsule a day should help--if you suffer the same.

I will do some further research and get back with you--concerning your specific condition.

I do know that discoid lupus is the least aggressive form of lupus--which does the least damage to the organs, muscles, and connective tissues.

If you are currently under the care of a physician and taking medication--you should clear everything--diet, supplements, and exercise programs--with your doctor--before beginning any new regiment.

I will be back in touch (soon).

Ever your friend,

LadyTerra
Old 04-09-2013, 11:35 PM
LadyTerra

Greetings Berry:

Merry do we meet (again)...

1) Get plenty of rest and when fatigue is really bad take a B Complex vitamin.

2) Be sun smart--always wear protective clothing and sun-screen of at least SPF 55.

3) Exercise can release endorphins--which can lead to a sense of well-being and can help to battle depression, fatigue, and stress (Yoga and Tai Chi are my favorites).

4) Don't smoke--it can exacerbate the damage that is already being done by the LUPUS by weakening the cardio-vascular system and the heart.

5) Dietary supplements;

*Tumeric (super anti-inflammatory) and when combined with Silymarin (Milk Thistle Seed) aids in proper liver function--which aides the digestion.

*DHEA (also an anti-inflammatory) thought to reduce the need for steroids.

*Flaxseed combats swelling and aids in proper kidney function--but can cause bloating and cramping--so use sparingly (perhaps--in breads and muffins).

*Acidophalus aids in maintaining the balance of natural flora in the digestive tract--thus combating candida (an over-abundance of yeast).

*Fish Oil for Omega 3 Fatty Acid to protect the heart.

*Vitamin D aids in maintaining the appropriate levels of calcium and phosphorus in the blood stream--thus helping to maintain proper bone density. It is thought to modulate cellular growth, neuro-muscular and immune system functions.

6) Foods to avoid;

soy, non-organic meat, sugar, mold--yeast--fungus foods (cheese & dairy, yeast bread, mushrooms--for instance), all white foods (eat brown and whole grain--instead), all pre-packaged and pre-processed foods, licorice, clover, bean sprouts, and the following oils--soy, canola, safflower, corn.

(Olive oil is the best--a mono-unsaturated fat that I even use in baking.)

7) Foods to enjoy;

all the colorful fruits and veggies and legumes (except soy beans and garbanzo beans--a.k.a. chick peas), brown rice and whole grains.

(Keep raw broccoli, cauliflower, and cabbage at the top of your list when cycling!)

8) Stress Reduction;

*Aroma Therapy Baths--with candle light and positive, soothing, music.

*Meditation--lots of deep breathing.

*Limit news media access.

*Keep it positive--music, movies, books, etc..

*Laugh! Great way to release serotonin and endorphins.

*Avoid as many medications as possible (ie. OTCs)--unless otherwise directed by your doctor--because some forms of LUPUS are drug induced. Chemicals create auto-toxicity and dependence.

*Keep a journal of self observation and symptoms--watch how your body reacts to different stressful situations, foods, medications, and your cycle--then you will learn to identify and (hopefully) be able to reduce your exposure to your own personal triggers.

***Once (again)--ALWAYS consult your physician--before making any alterations to your regiment.

I am always here--should you need to correspond.

Peace and Love on your path to Total Healing...

Blessed be...

Ever your friend,

LadyTerra
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 AM
LadyTerra

Two more things...

I forgot to mention that I eat beef about once per week--except when cycling--and pork (maybe) once per month (and probably shouldn't even do that)--when I have to have bacon--I have turkey bacon (just two strips).

The rest of the time I eat chicken breast and fish--using veggies, legumes, and grains to round-out the meal--with fruit for dessert.

You can put all of these ingredients into soup and home baked breads.

I have the recipe for the astringent I use to keep the rash under control--let me know if you are interested.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Master
if you're immune system encounters a cell that has a mercury molecule in it then it will treat it as a non self and do all it can to get rid of it. so is it over-reactive?

with health alot of it what you don't do. i.e. eat sweets, smoke etc, not what you do do (do do lol)

avoid too much raw; 3 meals no snacking; drink pure water; hay diet; low g.i.; organic. gluten alone can be a problem.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
Master
Thank you so much dear Lady Terra and Vecta3!!!

Lady Terra I'm so sorry you had to deal with SLE. My discoid lupus isn't too bad. I just look really ugly/scary with a severe malar rash and lesions on my hands. I think they are getting better due to the cooler temps, a better diet, and Plaquenil. I do have strange symptoms where a finger, knuckles, elbow will hurt for several hours then totally disappear. The same with hives. With food allergies, I will get hives on my head. But now they appear in other places and are hot to touch. Knock on wood, no recent outbreaks of hives, headaches, or joint pains.

I'd love the astringent recipe and thank you so much!

I have changed my diet to include more organic vegetables and fruits. I'm cutting down on meats and was wondering if going vegetarian might help with the symptoms. I don't smoke or drink. I do take flaxeed oil, 1000iu of Vitamin D daily. I do have milk thistle tablets. I should go back to those. I love cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli except I don't like them raw. I use spf 110. I am totally allergic to direct sunlight.

Is it true that the nightshade vegetables should be avoided?

My rheumatologist is ok with me trying different diets. She just thinks it'll be hard to stick with a new diet.

I'm going to buy some tumeric today. I love trying new ingredients. Tumeric is in the ginger family. Is it also cumulative in the liver?

Vecta3, I'm addicted to juice drinks. I've been cutting back on those. Plain water just taste so bad.

Thanks again. You guys are so helpful and awesome!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Master
i avoid night shade, they make me ill. i believe they can be a problem if you have a compromised immune system...i saw on one forum somewhere once where they all had skin probs and they mostly avoid night shade. steiener said that potatoes make you very materialistic and that they were necessary to get us where we are now but as we move forward they should consumed less. sweet potatoes and yams both make excellent main course staples for an immune diet. low allergy foods, most folk can take them.

very naughty with the fruit juices! *tutts* you know mercola did a great article on them and how you might as well nearly drink cans of cola cos a sugar spike is a sugar spike no matter where it comes from.

quinoa's a goodie as is amaranth. fennels, courgettes...great healing veggies..sprouted mung and sprouted lentils great cleanser. sprouted fenugreek is gold dust in my book; kidney, blood and lymph cleaner and tonic,,,makes you slippy inside lol.

"There is no psychological evolution: there is only the ending of sorrow, of pain, anxiety, loneliness, despair and all that."
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 AM
LadyTerra

Quote:
Thank you so much dear Lady Terra and Vecta3!!!

Lady Terra I'm so sorry you had to deal with SLE. My discoid lupus isn't too bad. I just look really ugly/scary with a severe malar rash and lesions on my hands. I think they are getting better due to the cooler temps, a better diet, and Plaquenil. I do have strange symptoms where a finger, knuckles, elbow will hurt for several hours then totally disappear. The same with hives. With food allergies, I will get hives on my head. But now they appear in other places and are hot to touch. Knock on wood, no recent outbreaks of hives, headaches, or joint pains.

I'd love the astringent recipe and thank you so much!

I have changed my diet to include more organic vegetables and fruits. I'm cutting down on meats and was wondering if going vegetarian might help with the symptoms. I don't smoke or drink. I do take flaxeed oil, 1000iu of Vitamin D daily. I do have milk thistle tablets. I should go back to those. I love cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli except I don't like them raw. I use spf 110. I am totally allergic to direct sunlight.

Is it true that the nightshade vegetables should be avoided?

My rheumatologist is ok with me trying different diets. She just thinks it'll be hard to stick with a new diet.

I'm going to buy some tumeric today. I love trying new ingredients. Tumeric is in the ginger family. Is it also cumulative in the liver?

Vecta3, I'm addicted to juice drinks. I've been cutting back on those. Plain water just taste so bad.

Thanks again. You guys are so helpful and awesome!

I was a vegetarian (w/ vegan tendencies) for (8) years--then I became severely anemic--even though I ate eggs and legumes--some form of protein and iron with every meal.

Lean meats and fish are the way to go.

Tumeric should be taken once per day--one capsule will be more than enough.

Juice should be watered down with no sugar added--diet cranberry juice and water will aid proper kidney function.

The astringent will burn--but it will heal your lesions and help to prevent scarring.

(Note: you can purchase herbs on-line at azuregreen.com--if you have difficulty finding them--or try amoveablefeast.com--they were willing to ship herbs to me.)

Astringent

Materials: a large, clear, glass jar; as many containers of 70% green rubbing alcohol as it takes to fill that jar within one inch of the (tight-fitting) lid; a sunny spot...

1 Tbsp. of Pau d' Arco (wound healer)

1 Tbsp. of Rosemary (anti-fungal)

1 Tbsp. of Thyme (anthelmentic)

1 Tbsp. of Marshmallow Root (mucilage)

1 Tbsp. of Corn Silk (mucilage)

1 Tbsp of Slippery Elm (mucilage)

1 Tbsp. of Lavender (anti-septic)

1 Tbsp. of Plantain (wound healer)

1 Tbsp. of Burdock Root (wound cleanser)

Place all of the herbs in the jar and fill the jar with alcohol--then place in a Sunny spot. Every day (for 21 days) take your jar and shake it vigorously for a good 2 minutes.

Day 21--strain the herbs and give them back to the Mother (dump them outside )--then store in a dark container (I use a prune juice container) --but I guess you could just put your jar in a dark cabinet.

I use it (externally) as many times a day as I need to--it even helps the hives.