Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Christianity

Old 14-08-2019, 11:54 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn
Buddha is far from being forgotten.

King Asoke spread Buddhism throughout the Indian sub-continent. A side effect of this is vegetarianism, veganism
and the recognition that animal cruelty was wrong.

Asoka also sent his missionaries as far west as Egypt, Greece, and Syria. There was an official form of Buddhism prevalent in post-Alexander Greece which obviously predates Christianity. There are some who believe that Buddhism may have influenced the Essenes in the land of Jesus.

I agree completely with you that "Buddha is far from being forgotten". His influence on Christianity may indeed be greater than most suspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddhism_and_Christianity

EXCERPT:

Starting in the 1930s, authors such as Will Durant suggested that Greco-Buddhist representatives of Emperor Ashoka who traveled to Syria, Egypt and Greece may have helped prepare the ground for Christian teaching. Buddhism was prominent in the eastern Greek world (Greco-Buddhism) and became the official religion of the eastern Greek successor kingdoms to Alexander the Great's empire (Greco-Bactrian Kingdom (250 BC – 125 BC) and Indo-Greek Kingdom (180 BC – 10 CE)).

It is known that prominent early Christians were aware of Buddha and some Buddhist stories. Saint Jerome (4th century CE) mentions the birth of the Buddha, who he says "was born from the side of a virgin"; it has been suggested that this virgin birth legend of Buddhism influenced Christianity.
Old 14-08-2019, 01:40 PM
Deactivated Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still_Waters
Asoka also sent his missionaries as far west as Egypt, Greece, and Syria. There was an official form of Buddhism prevalent in post-Alexander Greece which obviously predates Christianity. There are some who believe that Buddhism may have influenced the Essenes in the land of Jesus.

I agree completely with you that "Buddha is far from being forgotten". His influence on Christianity may indeed be greater than most suspect.

EXCERPT:

Starting in the 1930s, authors such as Will Durant suggested that Greco-Buddhist representatives of Emperor Ashoka who traveled to Syria, Egypt and Greece may have helped prepare the ground for Christian teaching. Buddhism was prominent in the eastern Greek world (Greco-Buddhism) and became the official religion of the eastern Greek successor kingdoms to Alexander the Great's empire (Greco-Bactrian Kingdom (250 BC – 125 BC) and Indo-Greek Kingdom (180 BC – 10 CE)).

It is known that prominent early Christians were aware of Buddha and some Buddhist stories. Saint Jerome (4th century CE) mentions the birth of the Buddha, who he says "was born from the side of a virgin"; it has been suggested that this virgin birth legend of Buddhism influenced Christianity.

Hmmm, you sure? Jesus Christ worshipping idols?

Either way, Have you encountered any of these beings besides from someone else?
Old 14-08-2019, 03:28 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aknaton

Who mentioned Jesus worshipping idols?
Old 14-08-2019, 03:37 PM
Master
Quote:

EXCERPT:

The Gospel of Thomas has many beautiful verses which show Christianity and Buddhism coming together

You may have already come across this Prayer SW but maybe not,

The Prayer of St. Francis with the Bodhisattva Vow.

Lord,

Make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love.

Where there is injury, pardon.

Where there is doubt, faith.

Where there is despair, hope.

Where there is darkness, light.

Where there is sadness, joy.

May I be a safeguard for those who have no protection,
A guide for those who journey along the way;
For those who wish to go across the water,
May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.

May I be a home port for those who yearn for landfall,
And a lamp for those who long for the light;
For those who are tired, may I be a resting place,
For all who need help, their servant.

O Divine Master,

Grant that I may not so much seek

To be consoled, as to console;

To be understood, as to understand;

To be loved, as to love.

Like the great earth itself and other eternal things,
Enduring as the sky itself endures,
For the boundless multitude of living beings,
May I be the ground and vessel of their lives.

For every single thing that lives,
In number like the boundless reaches of the sky,
May I be their sustenance and nourishment
Until they pass beyond the bounds of suffering.

For it is in giving that we receive.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.

It is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.
Old 15-08-2019, 02:41 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The Gospel of Thomas has many beautiful verses which show Christianity and Buddhism coming together

You may have already come across this Prayer SW but maybe not,

The Prayer of St. Francis with the Bodhisattva Vow.

Lord,

Make me an instrument of your peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love.

Where there is injury, pardon.

Where there is doubt, faith.

Where there is despair, hope.

Where there is darkness, light.

Where there is sadness, joy.

May I be a safeguard for those who have no protection,
A guide for those who journey along the way;
For those who wish to go across the water,
May I be a boat, a raft, a bridge.

May I be a home port for those who yearn for landfall,
And a lamp for those who long for the light;
For those who are tired, may I be a resting place,
For all who need help, their servant.

O Divine Master,

Grant that I may not so much seek

To be consoled, as to console;

To be understood, as to understand;

To be loved, as to love.

Like the great earth itself and other eternal things,
Enduring as the sky itself endures,
For the boundless multitude of living beings,
May I be the ground and vessel of their lives.

For every single thing that lives,
In number like the boundless reaches of the sky,
May I be their sustenance and nourishment
Until they pass beyond the bounds of suffering.

For it is in giving that we receive.

It is in pardoning that we are pardoned.

It is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.

Amen.

The Prayer of St. Francis of Assisi is one of my favorite prayers. Thanks for introducing it to this dialogue.
Old 15-08-2019, 02:43 PM
Master
Quote:

As sky123 indicated, who said anything about Jesus Christ worshiping idols? I don't understand your question.
Old 15-08-2019, 02:48 PM
Master
Quote:
Note: When God manifests Himself, He manifests Himself as "The Revealed God" according to our faith, expectations and constitution of our being. God is everywhere as we have read/known/experienced, but when He comes to you, He veils Himself with a form for us to perceive.

I have seen God appear as the Logos; that Bright White Super Intelligent Light.

I have seen God appear as Jesus Christ wearing a white garment and covered in ineffable Light.

I meditated and after a while had seen God appear as Father; being the Essence of all things. He was all in all and all about all and was all. This lasted days, it was such a joy!!! Joy truly comes from Fellowship with Him.

I prayed and fasted and God granted me to see Him as a White Ineffable Light and source of all, and His Image was constantly changing in that White Light. Yes, He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit; these are His three manifestations, but the images that were there were all the images/faces of people that were ever there and will ever be in existence, as being contained in the Image of Jesus Christ.

I would love to see God as the prophets of old saw Him, that awesome Glory I find in Ezekiels first chapter and the first part of Revelation.

You raise a very good point in your post.

Quote:
When God manifests Himself, He manifests Himself as "The Revealed God" according to our faith, expectations and constitution of our being.

Could you elaborate on that? I think that we are in agreement, but I want a little more clarity on exactly what you meant by that. Your answer to that question might also be the answer to your question to me in a previous post.

Quote:
Old 15-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Master
Quote:
You raise a very good point in your post.

Could you elaborate on that? I think that we are in agreement, but I want a little more clarity on exactly what you meant by that. Your answer to that question might also be the answer to your question to me in a previous post.

The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me etc:
Old 15-08-2019, 04:27 PM
ImthatIm

Quote:

I meditated and after a while had seen God appear as Father; being the Essence of all things. He was all in all and all about all and was all. This lasted days, it was such a joy!!! Joy truly comes from Fellowship with Him.

I prayed and fasted and God granted me to see Him as a White Ineffable Light and source of all, and His Image was constantly changing in that White Light. Yes, He is Father, Son and Holy Spirit; these are His three manifestations, but the images that were there were all the images/faces of people that were ever there and will ever be in existence, as being contained in the Image of Jesus Christ.

I Love talk of the Living Light of God.
I wish words could express this Living Loving Divine Light of God.
I can look at a tree and know this Living Loving Divine Light is in there giving Life.
I often have conversations with objects of all sorts saying"I see you in there"
Meaning that Light of many colors moving and Loving and Living.
I am connected to all things by this Light.
))((
^^^^^
Old 16-08-2019, 11:55 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The eye with which I see God is the same with which God sees me etc:

I too love Meister Eckart.