Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Most Anything > Nature > Animals

Old 28-10-2011, 09:32 PM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworkerAu
Scibat imagine if they pull it off, if whales have human rights then that ruling might spread to stray pets and how they are killed or if they are.

But the reality is, they can't pull it off. It's designed around publicity, and there is so much big money involved there is no way it can succeed.

Quote:
The lawsuit will most likely be dismissed. While it rests on a novel point, that the 13th Amendment does not limit its application to “persons,” it nevertheless hopes to set aside decades of precedent which has not permitted animals the same status as persons. While these laws are changing in some contexts, it is not likely to change so radically as advocated by PETA.

And this is from Sea World itself:
Quote:
In a statement responding to the lawsuit, SeaWorld Parks and Entertainment said the court case challenges "the public's right to enjoy and learn more about marine mammals."

"This effort to extend the Thirteenth Amendment's solemn protections beyond human beings is baseless and in many ways offensive," the statement says.

SeaWorld is "among the world's most respected zoological institutions," it continues, adding that SeaWorld parks "are fully accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums" with legal permission to display marine mammals.

"PETA has once again showed that it prefers publicity stunts to the hard work of caring for, rescuing and helping animals,"
the SeaWorld statement said.

I agree 100% with that final statement.
Old 28-10-2011, 10:57 PM
Master
What about the rights of the whales? dont they have some basic right to freedom?

If animals treated humans like we treat them at times it would be our holocaust that has no equal. We dont even do to humans at our worst what we do to animals as a normal every day occurrence. (lab rat)
Old 29-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Master
"SeaWorld is "among the world's most respected zoological institutions," it continues, adding that SeaWorld parks "are fully accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums" with legal permission to display marine mammals."

I imagine the Japanese use the same type of mealy-mouthed excuse for killing whales in the name of research.
Old 30-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Scibat

Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman
"SeaWorld is "among the world's most respected zoological institutions," it continues, adding that SeaWorld parks "are fully accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and the Alliance of Marine Mammal Parks and Aquariums" with legal permission to display marine mammals."

I imagine the Japanese use the same type of mealy-mouthed excuse for killing whales in the name of research.

Comparing apples and oranges aren't we?

Killing whales is a long way off by comparison to the life and treatment they get at places like Seaworld, where are in fact treated very well, cared for and loved by the staff and trainers (I know this because I have relatives in Florida and one used to be a caregiver of the aquatic mammals at Sea World, in Orlando and told me a lot about how the animals are kept and cared for.)

The only mealy-mouth anything I see is the nonsense perpetuated by PETA and its rabid followers. But I guess that's fanaticism for you...
Old 30-10-2011, 11:14 AM
Master
One question. Scibat

"a lot about how the animals are kept and cared for" - in who's opinion ? Are the whales free to leave whenever they wish ?

"Comparing apples and oranges aren't we?" - no ! Both are examples of animals being mistreated. The only difference is in degree.

But I guess that's human cruelty for you...
Old 30-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Scibat

Quote:
One question. Scibat

"a lot about how the animals are kept and cared for" - in who's opinion ? Are the whales free to leave whenever they wish ?

I would say the opinion of most reasonable people.

Quote:
"Comparing apples and oranges aren't we?" - no ! Both are examples of animals being mistreated. The only difference is in degree.

Killing whales, yes I agree that is mistreatment. Keeping them at Seaworld where they are given top notch care only qualifies if you buy into PETA propaganda.

Having a few of them where the public can see them puts a face on the problems that exist for the wild ones, such as killing them and polluting the ocean where they live, people as a whole wouldn't care nearly as much about their treatment in the wild if a few weren't kept in captivity.

In a perfect world that wouldn't be the case, but in the real world it simply is.

Quote:
But I guess that's human cruelty for you...

Yep. Raising awareness of wildlife conservation by keeping a few in captivity, terrible cruelty that.

You ever actually been to SeaWorld or an aquarium that keeps whales? I'm guessing not. But I have been, and in both places as part of that human cruelty you mention are the people who talk to the audiences go out of their way to tell people about how they can help the whales in the wild.

I live very near the Atlanta aquarium and have had a membership there since it opened, they keep Beluga whales there and every time I have sat in one of the talks that are given daily there is always a great deal said about how people can help support wildlife conservation for whales in the wild.

But I guess its easy for some to pass judgment with very little in the way of facts.
Old 30-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Master
"Keeping them at Seaworld where they are given top notch care"
A cage is still a cage no matter how you gild it !

"if a few weren't kept in captivity." Captivity - your word, not mine.

"always a great deal said about how people can help support wildlife conservation for whales in the wild." - that's just justification for cruelty !
Old 30-10-2011, 02:15 PM
Master
http://articles.cnn.com/2010-02-25/us/whales.seaworld.death_1_killer-whales-trainer-seaworld?_s=PM:US

http://www.marineconnection.org/campaigns/captivity.html

http://www.savethewhales.org/captivity.html

etc, etc, etc. Read them and weep !

As an antidote, watch Frozen Planet
Old 31-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Scibat

Quote:
"Keeping them at Seaworld where they are given top notch care"
A cage is still a cage no matter how you gild it !

"if a few weren't kept in captivity." Captivity - your word, not mine.

"always a great deal said about how people can help support wildlife conservation for whales in the wild." - that's just justification for cruelty !

Obviously you are so firmly entrenched in the PETA camp with their propaganda and nonsense that there is no more point arguing with you than with my own keyboard.

So I will simply say:

Believe what you like, I'll be over here in a real world watching PETA waste money on a show trial that they will lose and will be forgotten about by the general public within a month of it being lost or dismissed.