Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Paranormal & Supernatural > Ghosts & Hauntings

Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 AM
Gracey

Persian ahriman, from Middle Persian ahraman, from Avestan angrō mainiiuš, the evil spirit : angra-, evil + mainiiuš, spirit; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.

i was wrong on last post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Sangress

Quote:
This is just a curiously questions...What are the differences between ghost and demons and how do you know the differences? I also read somewhere that ghost can't kill you but demons can, how and why? I don't tend to believe in demons but I do believe in ghost.

nightowl

Hmm...thats a difficult question.

The title of ghost can be applied to any spirit these days, the term is pretty flexible.

Personally I cosider Ghosts to be deceased people or animals who have not left the physical plane of existence for whatever reason. At first they are still connected to their physical bodies - hence why they hold a resemblance to their former selves - but after a while they take the form of "orbs" for a number of reasons I wont state for the convenience of keeping this post short.

These days "Demons" are a far cry from what they used to be percieved as. Religion and the media has painted a perfect portrait of evil and animlaistic steryotypes for demons.

From what I remember the word demon was pronounced as "Daemon" or "Demonia" which usually was in reference to a dangerious non-human spirit. It's like saying "criminal"...same sort of gist. I also vaguely recall that the word once meant "spirit" and had no negative connotations...I could be wrong though considering I really cant be bothered to research it (feel free to do it for me of you want. lol.)

Personally, I consider demons to be a type of spirit who is directly connected and part of the force "chaos." They're generally considered to be from somewhere around a specific plane/state of existence and each has its own set of strong and weak traits which people analyse in order to shove them into a catagory or "species."

Hope that helps.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 AM
Gracey

According to the “Educational Book of Essential Knowledge” by Webster, chaos means: that confusion or confused mass out of which the universe was created; a confused mixture of parts or elements; a scene of extreme confusion; disorder.

what u said sangress makes some sense to me

Old 09-09-2011, 01:57 PM
Skye

Everyone has their own perception of what a ghost is. My own opinion is a ghost is like a recording and we are unable to interact with them because they are not aware of our presence. Usually they are seen playing out the same scene which is repeated over and over, much like a television programme. This can be on certain days or times.

Whereas a spirit person completely differs from a ghost in that they can and do interact with certain people who have the ability to communicate with them.

I consider a devil has more to do with orthodox religion, in a misunderstood attempt to maintain their hold over it's people by controlling their behaviour.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:04 PM
deepsea

Hi Skye!
A good interpretation there.
When I was much younger,I could never tell which was which and what was what.

To me everything that was 'spooky' was ghosts.

Deepsea (J)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:37 PM
nightowl

Thanks everyone for your responses, it seems that most opinions on ghost are pretty much the same where as the belief and understanding on demons are a little more unsure...huh...interesting
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Sangress

*nods @ nightowl* People seem to make up their own minds on what a demon is and change it to suit their experiences or simply believe what they have read on the subject. I bet 90.99% of us would be able to find the source of our demonic understanding and we'd probably not even be sure its accurate, but the explanation would be convenient so we'd probably keep it...just in case. :P

If someone were to trace back the origin of the word demon, and then the origin of a word with the same meaning in a language of around the same era that is related to that first language, then repeat the process going further and further back through history and so on and so forth (if that is even possible with the scant amount of information before 200 AD) then I think we'd be able to get to the root of what the humanitys original perceptions of a demon was/is.

I might do some research some time....if I do I'll share my results here.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 PM
Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl
This is just a curiously questions...What are the differences between ghost and demons and how do you know the differences? I also read somewhere that ghost can't kill you but demons can, how and why? I don't tend to believe in demons but I do believe in ghost.

nightowl

Hello

The way I came to understand it be that a Ghost is an Earth Bound human that has not made the joueny into the Light either by choice or by fear. They seek out often one's like me that can see and hear them for assistance or to help finish business for them first.

Demon, not a thing I give any real power to....but I have worked cases where I have worked with a Demonologist to clear the really negative energies and human energies that are present. To give something that power that a Deomon image brings forth to me mean's that one could well be struck down.....I am still here....

Lynn
Old 09-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Gracey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangress
*nods @ nightowl* People seem to make up their own minds on what a demon is and change it to suit their experiences or simply believe what they have read on the subject. I bet 90.99% of us would be able to find the source of our demonic understanding and we'd probably not even be sure its accurate, but the explanation would be convenient so we'd probably keep it...just in case. :P

If someone were to trace back the origin of the word demon, and then the origin of a word with the same meaning in a language of around the same era that is related to that first language, then repeat the process going further and further back through history and so on and so forth (if that is even possible with the scant amount of information before 200 AD) then I think we'd be able to get to the root of what the humanitys original perceptions of a demon was/is.

I might do some research some time....if I do I'll share my results here.

i have done the research on the word demon and many others, spent years doing it, have fun if you ever get around to doing it yourself. you will learn a lot about language and even the letters themselves have meaning.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Pathfinder

This is one of the better books I've come across that explain gradations of ghosts - and those referred to as demons.

http://www.redwingbooks.com/sku/DaoExoEncSor

Some demons are generated / created by sorcery others are more elevated (on the dark side) and are individual beings. There are various levels in how they operate and go about in the world and their work.

I believe that there is such a thing / force in the multiverse that is called Positive Evil. Kaballah / Qabalah labels it qliphoth I believe. It's mostly ignored only so much because it's not always easy to see or comprehend. If a spirit sneaks in unawares invading a body and causes a terrible disease then no one is really ever going to know what happened. There is way to much stuff on television that people rely on for actual information, like ghost stories. Perhaps that is one scenario but it's not the total picture.

French Fry