Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 24-01-2011, 08:24 AM
Knower

Talking Book/Movie Recommendations Related to the Link Between 'Insanity' and Spirituality?

I'm very interested in the link between what is termed 'insanity' and spirituality. It is my belief that there are cases where people who are considered to be 'insane' simply have had problems adjusting, accepting, understanding or grabbing hold of the spiritual understanding and thoughts that they are having. Does anyone have any suggestions on books, films, or articles pertaining to this topic? Thank you!
Old 24-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Ivy

Insanity is the minds reaction to the inability to cope with life.

There is no link to the specific subject that a person is unable to cope with.

However, a starting point might be to read about Sigmund Freud's dream work in which he begins the basic explanations of transference and projection.

Im not an expert, but I believe its not uncommon for people who have suffered some sort of trauma, to transfer their emotions/fears/desires onto something else. And spirituality often provides 'reason' to what theyre feeling....and is often a part of dellusional mental reaction.

But, amongst teens especially there uis a certain glamourisation of mental illness. In my day it was the nu-romantics and gothics...these days, I believe theres emo's and goths and all sorts that relate cool to depression....and spiritual victimhood. Speaking as a patronising adult who 'just doesnt understand the woeful life of a teenager'....most will find a way to cope with their inner feelings and will grow into healthy 'spiritual' well adjusted adults.

For those who really do find it difficult to cope, focussing on everyday physical things, like work, study, exercise, healthy living...is a method that will help. If it needs a spiritual title, its learning to be grounded in everyday life.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Knower

"Insanity is the minds reaction to the inability to cope with life."

What about cases where children as young as 8 or 9 have developed schizophrenia? I've read about cases like this where the child has NOT suffered any trauma in their youth but have somehow still developed this mental illness at a very young age. I remember reading about a case where a child with schizophrenia would see friendly beings and animals around her that no one else could see. I find it hard to believe that this is due to the inability to cope with life.
Old 24-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-The-Iceman
I'm very interested in the link between what is termed 'insanity' and spirituality. It is my belief that there are cases where people who are considered to be 'insane' simply have had problems adjusting, accepting, understanding or grabbing hold of the spiritual understanding and thoughts that they are having. Does anyone have any suggestions on books, films, or articles pertaining to this topic? Thank you!
No.
But, could I share my experience in 1973?

You are correct. And may I add - their is a thin line between one that is in fact "insane" and one that is "in fact " a saint.

One, for example, says, "I'm George Washington." as he walks the halls of the loony bin.

While the saint knows and recognizes - "I am George Washington and we all are - and you are me and we are all the Same One - past,
present and future. And isn't it glorious we are all playing a part and all are each other."

Anyway - my experience.
Thin line.
Miss Hepburn

Oh, film, YES, "Revolver" directed by Guy Ritchie

*I'll text in Navy Blue when I'm speaking as a Mod. :)

Prepare yourself for the coming astral journey of death by daily riding in the balloon of God-perception.
Through delusion you are perceiving yourself as a bundle of flesh and bones, which at best is a nest of troubles.
Meditate unceasingly, that you may quickly behold yourself as the Infinite Essence, free from every form of misery. ~Paramahansa's Guru's Guru

Old 24-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex-The-Iceman
"Insanity is the minds reaction to the inability to cope with life."

What about cases where children as young as 8 or 9 have developed schizophrenia? I've read about cases like this where the child has NOT suffered any trauma in their youth but have somehow still developed this mental illness at a very young age. I remember reading about a case where a child with schizophrenia would see friendly beings and animals around her that no one else could see. I find it hard to believe that this is due to the inability to cope with life.

Youve mis-read what Ive written here.

The quote youve used was followed up by "There is no link to the specific subject that a person is unable to cope with" and thats the point it was making.

Mental illness is mental illness when a person is unable to do usual everyday things because of what is going on inside.

Childhood schizophrenia is extremely rare, 1 in 40,000 compared to 1 in 100 adults. I suspect there are an awful lot more children hear/see/feel energies around them. I did, and yet I was able to go to school, I was able to reason, hold a conversation about everyday things....etc.

But at the moment, what seems to be creeping in to spiritual circles, is the glamorisation of mental illness, in the belief that it is a signal to the world that a person has amazing spiritual gifts.

It is a danger, because it is possible to drive yourself insane by becoming obsessive about spiritual ideas.

But as the quote goes...we are not human beings trying to be spiritual...we are spirits taking a human journey.

Spirit is in all of life...if a person is unable to live an everyday life, then they have found insanity, not spirit.
Old 24-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn
No.
But, could I share my experience in 1973?

You are correct. And may I add - their is a thin line between one that is in fact "insane" and one that is "in fact " a saint.

One, for example, says, "I'm George Washington." as he walks the halls of the loony bin.

While the saint knows and recognizes - "I am George Washington and we all are - and you are me and we are all the Same One - past,
present and future. And isn't it glorious we are all playing a part and all are each other."

Anyway - my experience.
Thin line.
Miss Hepburn

Oh, film, YES, "Revolver" directed by Guy Ritchie

I really like the way that you explained this; you put exactly what I was trying to convey into words perfectly. I'll definitely check out that movie that you recommened. :)
Old 24-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Knower

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxheatherxx
Youve mis-read what Ive written here.

The quote youve used was followed up by "There is no link to the specific subject that a person is unable to cope with" and thats the point it was making.

I think I understand what you're saying now. I definitely agree with what you said about the glamourization of mental illness in spiritual circles, although I have to admit that I might be a little bit guilty of that as well. There's just something about it that I find fascinating; that when somebody who is so-called 'mentally insane' states, like the pervious poster gave as an example, that he is George Washington, that it is labelled as some sort if crazy statement when in truth, it's a true statement.
Old 26-01-2011, 06:58 AM
kadmilos

schizophrenia is mainly genetic. caused by a void spot in the brain that is filled in the brain of a non-schizophrenics. so experiences, age, coping aside, this is just something people are born with and will likely develop the disorder later in life, some earlier than others. Also too much sunlight stimulates the onset of schizophrenia.

depression is what happens when a persons coping mechanisms fail.

there is no link between insanity and spirituality. insane people are unable to form a cohesive opinion. "insanity" is thrown around too recklessly. perhaps you mean quirkyness or anti-social. if so, then becoming spiritual (learning to know yourself so you can like yourself, is a way of achieving well being without needing to rely on others for positive feedback.
Old 26-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Experiencer
I'm not sure the OP was trying to say there was a link between insanity and spirituality so much as he was saying that many people having spiritual experiences, especially powerful ones, are highly likely to be labelled insane by those who do not comprehend the spiritual aspect, and he is interested in researching instances where this might have occurred.

I agree, I think many people who "hear voices" or experience visions are labelled mentally unstable and given drugs or treatment to try to get rid of them, when these might be a result of increased attunement to the spirit world and they could be exploring the sources of these things instead or developing a talent for mediumship. For example, if a person hears voices encouraging them to do bad things, is that their imagination, or are they hearing the voice of a malicious spirit entity? If someone thinks they can talk to Jesus or angels, who's to say they aren't? If someone sees invisible people, who's to say they aren't really there? As far as the doctors are concerned these things must be supressed and "fixed", not investigated and especially not encouraged.

I also think there is a danger of becoming so deeply involved in the spirit world that the link to the physical world becomes tenuous and the person then appears to others to be a complete lunatic. Of course if these experiences are affecting someone to the extent that they cannot live a normal life then they need help, but perhaps they need help from a psychic expert or a spiritual teacher in order to manage their experiences, not drugs.

There really is a thin line between insanity and deep spirituality just as there is one between insanity and genius - so I think it would be true to say there is some correlation. Unfortunately, despite my ramblings, I don't have any resources to offer on the subject; I hope you find what you are looking for!
Old 27-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Ivy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westleigh
I'm not sure the OP was trying to say there was a link between insanity and spirituality so much as he was saying that many people having spiritual experiences, especially powerful ones, are highly likely to be labelled insane by those who do not comprehend the spiritual aspect, and he is interested in researching instances where this might have occurred.

I agree, I think many people who "hear voices" or experience visions are labelled mentally unstable and given drugs or treatment to try to get rid of them, when these might be a result of increased attunement to the spirit world and they could be exploring the sources of these things instead or developing a talent for mediumship. For example, if a person hears voices encouraging them to do bad things, is that their imagination, or are they hearing the voice of a malicious spirit entity? If someone thinks they can talk to Jesus or angels, who's to say they aren't? If someone sees invisible people, who's to say they aren't really there? As far as the doctors are concerned these things must be supressed and "fixed", not investigated and especially not encouraged.

I also think there is a danger of becoming so deeply involved in the spirit world that the link to the physical world becomes tenuous and the person then appears to others to be a complete lunatic. Of course if these experiences are affecting someone to the extent that they cannot live a normal life then they need help, but perhaps they need help from a psychic expert or a spiritual teacher in order to manage their experiences, not drugs.

There really is a thin line between insanity and deep spirituality just as there is one between insanity and genius - so I think it would be true to say there is some correlation. Unfortunately, despite my ramblings, I don't have any resources to offer on the subject; I hope you find what you are looking for!

When you hear gioudence in your inner ear/inner vision etc, a sane mind is usually able to listen to it and still recognise themselves as living as a human being and having free will and reason to deal with that voice.

In the same vein, an adult sane person is able to reasonably judge the reactions of others....and have a basic understanding of the society we live in. What extent do you imagine theyre telling theyre telling the world about visions/voices to actually be certified with an illness?

It is that inability to cope with the world that is called insane....not hearing voices/seeing visions.