Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > General Beliefs

Old 30-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Wind of Grace

Hi Meta,

Truly, you have a wonderfully rich and fully captivating talent for conveying your thoughts! I adored reading your post! It was profoundly thought provoking, and the thinker/feeler that I am was tickled pink with every word! I'm thrilled to the core if this pleases your ego/personality, for I am a bona fide lover of uniqueness and diversity. I feel that being unique is the greatest of gifts that we continually offer to ourselves.

Shine the full light of the beautifully unique expression that you are, and the world is instantly a much brighter place for all.

My greatest passion is the human experience. Connecting in a heartfelt way with the other me's in this world, whether in person, through books or on forums enables me to deepen my own understanding of this unique human adventure that is presently mine, and to joyfully explore the one that we all share collectively. Deepening my understanding of self allows me to lovingly embrace all that I am in each passing moment. As I embrace myself, I embrace the whole of our human family.

Last edited by Wind of Grace : 30-10-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 30-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Suspended
Meta,
I was thinking about this too, but you egotistically beat me to it...
or is it me who's ego is saying, "Hey, where's my praise?"?
Really, I think there's a part of me that never felt validated nor listened to growing up, so I yearn for that & have felt it in forums more than daily life.
IMO, everything we do is motivated by love... even if it's way off - that's what we want... love of self/love from others or love of others.

Other reasons I post:
1. To escape pain... especialy lonliness. I've struggled with depression on & off for years... & when I found forums last year - it made a huge difference in my life... but I need to learn "everything in moderation."

2. Relationships... Health is important, but once your health goes, it's relationships that really matter... which is as good as it's ability to relate. Going through a MAJOR perspective shift from a life-consuming religion - it's my sanity to find people to relate to... or at least who are open to other perspectives.

3. Since I could write, I've kept a journal. It's how I process life.

4. I've learned A LOT from others - but I still filter things through thought, feeling & experience.
Old 30-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Suspended
Oh - & I like to help people sometimes, even if it's in an egotistical, codependent way! :)

Last edited by Perspective : 30-10-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:05 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroggy
Such forums have been my primary spiritual practice for many years. The odd truth of the matter seems to be that spiritual work is a solitary trick done with mirrors. That is, the work is about what one is, or appears to be, in relation to everyone and everything else.

I'm a solitary guy with very little interest in making friends. It's not that I have a problem with people, it's more like it doesn't matter so much. However, as somebody talked about, I've done my share of reading the woo woo gurus, and while it provides an excellent focus at times, it's not nearly as dynamic and specific as the focus that forms on open forums because one cannot have a living relationship with a book.

I've heard Truth referred to as 'The living Truth'. To me, this means that it is here, now, vibrantly alive and active in our experience with everything. IOW, it moves dynamically in our relationship with the world, not just in our silent meditations.

On a more pragmatic level, it's easy to be 'spiritual' as long as the real world stays out of my self involved meditative space, but if it is taken into relationship with the world, such delusions collapse quickly. Some guru said 'If you think you're enlightened, go spend a weekend with your family.' Hehe.

I've noticed for years that my area of focus is reflected in the discussions that show up in these forums. There was a time that I posted on several forums at once, and the same topic was sometimes being discussed at the same time on all of them, and in most cases I wasn't the one who started it. This is quite interesting by itself and demonstrates a bit what I mean by the living Truth as it unfolds in our relationship with the world.

In the end, an enormous amount of clarity has come through intuitively exploring the focus of attention that is formed by others on these forums, and a lot of attachment has been explored and released. Sitting in silence at the feet of some guru cannot do this.

I know it would make me appear more humble to admit that I'm here to impress and be right and be praised, but the truth is I don't much care how I appear or what you think of me. Of course it's more pleasant to be agreed with than disagreed with, but I don't recall ever letting go of anything because somebody agreed with me or praised me. I'm usually grateful for both, but the thing is it's not about you. It's never about you.

Phroggy,

Ribbit. Ribbit.

I likes yas. You're a cool cat. Or.. wait eh, never mind. I know it looks messed up and doesn't read right, but whatever. (I like to pretend my delete key doesn't work because I think I come off sounding neat when I correct-but-don't correct myself )

*puts sunglasses on*

Chill. Smart. Real smart. Good with words. Steady as they come.

My kind of people.

I'm a solitary guy as well. I haven't had a real life friend in ages. I don't enjoy the company of people. The reasons are endless. I don't hate them, I just strongly prefer not to be in their company, if I have a choice in the matter.

It's why you turn your radio to a station that plays the type of music you enjoy, and not a Christian Talk Radio, if you're a atheist, for example. It's a matter of taste mostly.

So I get that.

OK, so you talk of “the living truth” and define what that concept means to you. You don't come right out and say “it's this” and “NOT that” thus placing a boundary on it. However, you do hint at it.

But, anyway, in the way you define “the living truth” in what it means to you, as we both know any concept has only relative meaning, does it not essentially cancel itself out, and therefore become a moot point?

Quote:
I've heard Truth referred to as 'The living Truth'. To me, this means that it is here, now, vibrantly alive and active in our experience with everything

Because then, there is nothing that is not “it.” And since there is nothing that “the living truth” does not encapsulate, we may as well throw it out altogether, as it's only going to confuse us, and or contribute to pointless give-and-takes that in the end will lead no where.

*ahem*

Quote:
In the end, an enormous amount of clarity has come through intuitively exploring the focus of attention that is formed by others on these forums, and a lot of attachment has been explored and released. Sitting in silence at the feet of some guru cannot do this.

I don't have a problem with posting on the forums.

Clarity can come as a result.

But clarity can come as a result of anything. It has its place. If it works for you, by all means keep doing it. I know what you mean too, in a real life sense. I have experienced this as well. Not necesserly on forums, but though e-mailing. It can be very helpful. I still enjoy it very much.

Quote:

Now, unless you have sat at the feet a guru, how can you speak of it with such conviction? Putting aside the "how" - what matters and what I am talking about is, looking at attachment, exploring it, and releasing it. Transcending that which is false. You state it as if it were a fact. That sitting at the feet of a guru cannot do this. So I want to ask you: Is this something you have actual experience with?

Quote:
I know it would make me appear more humble to admit that I'm here to impress and be right and be praised, but the truth is I don't much care how I appear or what you think of me. Of course it's more pleasant to be agreed with than disagreed with, but I don't recall ever letting go of anything because somebody agreed with me or praised me. I'm usually grateful for both, but the thing is it's not about you. It's never about you.

If it's not about you, who is it about?

Me?

...but not for me, in my expeirence, but only your experience?

Yeah, not sure sure how that works.

Or "others" but only as long as we do not get any more specific?

*shrugs*

And are you sure you're not trying to sneak your way in as the More Humble one, by admitting you are grateful at being disagreed with? Shunning your chance here openly of being humble, by.................admitting you don't care what people think of you or how you appear?

Also, in order to have someone disagree with you, you have to first take a position. Take a stance. Hold something in your mind as The Truth.

What ideas do you hold as Truth?

And finally to one-up ya (leap frog you, LOL) and thus make it clear (if it's not already) that I am the more advanced and aware one between the two of us,

Quote:
I don't recall ever letting go of anything because somebody agreed with me or praised me.

I don't ever recall ever letting go of something I was first not aware of.

*looks for his pipe*
Old 31-10-2010, 12:33 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
You see, ego wants you to believe that you are caught up in ego but you never really are. It only appears that you are. Instead, you always are perfect and that perfection is love and that love posts because love is action.
You don't come across at all as egoic. Your insight suggest otherwise. What is stopping you from believing that?
And aside from all that, you had me cracking up the whole time.
Awesome post!
Nice to meet you meta............James

Hi, James,

Nice to meet you too. :)

Weather I come across or AM egoic or not is both a matter of perspective.

I don't believe it is either one way or another way, simply because beliefs have been seen to be insubstantial and subject to change. And in order to have or hold onto a belief, I needed to necessarily have someone or some thing that disagreed with it, thus acting as the light and substance by which the experience of being Correct or Right comes about and exists within.

That used to be my primary motivation in posting. To sustain and uphold my beliefs by rubbing up against everyone who disagreed with them.

I'm not interested in making anything or anyone wrong anymore, as beliefs are seen to be way too fickle.

Been there, done that, as it were.

I am really happy to hear you cracked up reading the post. I laughed at it too. Ego is so funny when you shine the light on it and give it a voice.

Comedy at its best, as far as I am concerned.

Cheers :)
Old 31-10-2010, 12:46 AM
Phroggy

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meta_synthesis
But, anyway, in the way you define “the living truth” in what it means to you, as we both know any concept has only relative meaning, does it not essentially cancel itself out, and therefore become a moot point?

Because then, there is nothing that is not “it.” And since there is nothing that “the living truth” does not encapsulate, we may as well throw it out altogether, as it's only going to confuse us, and or contribute to pointless give-and-takes that in the end will lead no where.

I guess I was trying to suggest that Truth is found dynamically in relationship. I didn't mean to suggest the the living truth is your left shoelace or sumthin.

Quote:
Now, unless you have sat at the feet a guru, how can you speak of it with such conviction? Putting aside the "how" - what matters and what I am talking about is, looking at attachment, exploring it, and releasing it. Transcending that which is false. You state it as if it were a fact. That sitting at the feet of a guru cannot do this. So I want to ask you: Is this something you have actual experience with?

No, I haven't. On second thought, sitting at the feet of a guru in silence is probably a very effective way of exploring attachments and releasing them.

Quote:
If it's not about you, who is it about?

Me?

...but not for me, in my expeirence, but only your experience?

Yeah, not sure sure how that works.

Or "others" but only as long as we do not get any more specific?

*shrugs*

.......What?

Quote:
I don't ever recall ever letting go of something I was first not aware of.

Sounds like part of the point I was trying to make.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:47 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahakali
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! that's funny!

sometimes i do just read things because i am interested in what others are saying. and mostly i post because i obsessively love to talk. I have noticed the ego stroking thing yes its tickled me pink before. even when someone is disagreeing with me the fight is somewhat thrilling.

but i do think that peoples lives have been changed by this forum, mine has, and sometimes we ourselves learn things wile explaining things. sometimes people have amazing things to say. so maybe you do need an ego check. maybe you should set your intention to actually care what others are thinking, inspiring someone because you know it could spring a chain of events/thoughts that could end up eventually showing them great truths. maybe it is not your purpose though. Myself, i find a balance between all the reasons for posting, and that's because i set my intention for that, always growing always humbling myself more.

in your picture i see someone who is very aware that there picture is being taken, i see the thought running through your mind "what will people think when they see my face in this pic" lol! but i think your posts are great and your avatar is a handsome guy. stroke stroke

Hi :)

What sticks out for me in your post is your talking about the setting of intention. You tell me I should set my intention to something else, perhaps. And later in the post you speak of having set your own intention(s)

But if you read my post closely, you would know that in my experience I don't (as far as I know) have available to me the choice to simply choose whatever intention I'd like. I started it off by saying I wish I was here to just play. Clearly if I had control, I wouldn't wish, I'd just "set" it to that.

How do you just choose what intention you'd like? Give me the play-by-play. Do you first have to desire it before you can set it? Or can you set it to anything at all, anything you choose? How does it work?

Your thoughts on my picture are DEAD on. I am seriously impressed. I took like 30 pictures from different angles and lighting and finally selected one, albiet begrudgingly, haha. I am SOOOOOOO self-conscious.

Very shy. :P

Quote:
stroke stroke

LOL!

I found that so funny and cute. Totally giggled.

Last edited by meta_synthesis : 31-10-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 31-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Phroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meta_synthesis
I don't believe it is either one way or another way, simply because beliefs have been seen to be insubstantial and subject to change. And in order to have or hold onto a belief, I needed to necessarily have someone or some thing that disagreed with it, thus acting as the light and substance by which the experience of being Correct or Right comes about and exists within.

So in order to believe in gravity, you have to have someone to disagree with about it? Or do you mean a specific set of beliefs? Like beliefs about God and such? Maybe those are just ideas and not so much believed in?
Old 31-10-2010, 01:19 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
That said, Meta, I’d like to ask you some questions. When you post to elicit praise, do you see yourself as the smartest one before getting this praise

No, lol. If I did I wouldn't need to assert it or prove it to myself or anyone. I would simply know, and then post with an air of arrogance.

Quote:
Do you think they are praising the real you or an image you fabricated in order to elicit praise?

The only me I know is the me that is typing. I don't know of any image that has been fabricated. That is not my experience. All praise is for me. My sense of self. The only sense of self I have.

Quote:
Do you need others to reflect that back to you in order to see yourself as smarter?

I don't really see myself as smarter, lol. But I'd very much like to be the smartest and most aware one.

And ego's entire reality is based upon the existence of "others." So ya I need them to appear a certain way. Reflect, as you put it.

As soon as "I" come into existence, "other" appears. We depend on each other. Two sides of the same coin. Sounds cannot exist without silence. Objects cannot exist without space. Me needs not-me. Or else "me" has no boundary and is thus nonexistent because there is nothing that is not it. It doesn't "stand out" because there's no contrast.

Quote:
Is it possible that the continued desire to obtain ego boosts in this way is due to a subconscious or perhaps even conscious awareness that the fabricated image of “smartest one” is not your real self?

When I say I am smarter or more this or whatever, I am kidding. I don't ever see it that way. I (ego) wants to be viewed that way though. And it goes out of its way to try its hardest to make it appear as if it was the Coolest and Smartest and just... the bombbbbbbbbbbb.

"Look at me!"

It's kind of cute, when it's innocent.

haha
Old 31-10-2010, 01:28 AM
meta_synthesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phroggy
So in order to believe in gravity, you have to have someone to disagree with about it? Or do you mean a specific set of beliefs? Like beliefs about God and such? Maybe those are just ideas and not so much believed in?

Who believes in gravity? "gravity" is a fact. Not the concept of "gravity" but the experience of "gravity" (what you refer to with the concept.)

It's self-evident. I am not talking about self-evident facts.

I don't walk around holding onto the belief in gravity. Do you?

Gravity is an abstract concept that has no real meaning for me. All I know is "what goes up, must come down." Slap whatever label or word on that experience you'd like.

I'll just continue to toss my ball in the air and watch it fall back to me as you make noises with your mouth.

Quote:
Like beliefs about God and such? Maybe those are just ideas and not so much believed in?

Ya. That's what I mean. Like, ideas of gravity, they are just ideas, not so much believed in. We toss them around via language. To try to explain our experience somewhat. Because we want to Know. We want to be Certain. It makes us feel Solid and Lasting. (does for me anyway)

Before the concept of gravity was thought-up, people still had the same basic experience we have for example. They may have had no concept or explanation for it, but its force was still exerted upon them. But I am talking of the closely held ones. The convictions. The TRUTHS. The deeply held stuff. The ideas you feel the need to defend. Or prove or show others are CORRECT.

Last edited by meta_synthesis : 31-10-2010 at 02:08 AM.