Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 17-07-2018, 10:36 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by sky123
The great light of the self (attâ/atma) is the great-self (mahâtman) which is an illumination beyond the physical (rûpa). The great-self is similar to the solar sphere as the source of the sphere’s brightness, as such, the radiant power.”— Vimanavatthu Atthakatha No. 268
“The Tathâgata is the true reality of the self (attâ).” — Majjhimapannasa Atthakatha 3.379
The true nature (bhâva) of the Tathâgata is the self (attano). — Itivuttaka Atthakatha 2.187
“The Blessed One (bhagavat) is the origin of his lineage, [which is] the great perfection (mahâsammâ).” — Mahâvagga Atthakatha 2.677
“What is external (parato) is empty (suññato), is inanimate (anatta), is the mark of the inanimate (anattalakkana).” — Majjhimapannsapali Atthakatha 3.146
“The vision of perfection of the path of the self (maggatta).” — Patisambhidamagga Atthakatha 3.608
“The self’s perfection (sammattâ) is the Noble Eightfold Path.” — Nettippakarana Atthakatha No.184
“The self is deathless (amara) and is identical with one’s true nature (sabhâva).” — Jataka Atthakatha No. 6 6.370
“The Tathagata is the Buddha, and the self.” — Itivuttaka Atthakatha 2.187
“Samsara is samsara as non-immortal faring. Awareness of the immortal supreme self is the faring of the immortal supreme self.” — Therigatha Atthakatha 289
“Just so it is that the self (attâ) is none of the five aggregates (Skt., skandha).” — Udana Atthakatha No. 376
“The one self, the one true reality (ekabhâva), is without emptiness (asuññata).” — Uparipannasapali Atthkatha 4.151

Are these Buddha's teachings of are they commentaries written by others?
Old 17-07-2018, 10:47 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain95
I don't know where you got this quote but it seems to be pretty revolutionary for Buddhism. It is stating the true self does not change! Where is this quote from? Do you know? Most Buddhism texts state everything is temporary and changing.

I think Gotama was pretty clear in saying he teaches the 'way' to end suffering. I can't recall Gotama saying anything about the self apart from him telling Ananda why he does not teach self-concepts.
Old 17-07-2018, 11:00 AM
Experiencer
Quote:
' Theravada does not anywhere explicitly state that there is a Buddha nature. However, like most Mahayana concepts such as emptiness or the Bodhisattva path, the general concept appears in the Pali scriptures. Numerous times the Buddha states clearly that there is the Unconditioned – if there were not the Unconditioned, there would be no benefit or result of living the Holy LIfe. But since there is the Unconditioned, then living the Holy Life has a goal.

What is ‘the Unconditioned’? It is the goal of the practise, the nibbana element that does not change, that is not subject to birth, aging, or death. It is entirely free from Dukkha (suffering). This Unconditioned is real and can be experienced when the outflowings of the mind are brought to a halt (The end of the ‘asava’, or outflowings, of ignorance, becoming, desire, and sometimes a fourth category ‘views’). Another way it is described is ‘seeing and knowing the liberation of the heart’ (vimutthi nyanadassana). All Mahayana is doing is giving this experience a name – Buddha Nature. The Theravada uses only an adjective to describe the property of enlightenment – that is is Unconditioned, where Mahayana is giving it a proper noun.'

"Buddha Nature" does not mean "the Unconditioned". "The Unconditioned" means "enlightenment" /"Nirvana".

"Buddha Nature" means the potential for enlightenment (or a seed of enlightenment) which is present in all living things (including insects).

People are getting so muddled about Buddhism and its terminology here!

If anyone is deeply interested in Buddhism, please make the effort to find a recognised teacher at a Buddhist centre who will give you some study and practice to do according to your personal level of understanding.

May all beings have peace and happiness.

_/|\_
Old 17-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem
Are these Buddha's teachings of are they commentaries written by others?

If you had spent some time reading them you will see they are translations from the Pali Canon.

The Pāli Canon is the standard collection of scriptures in the Theravada Buddhist tradition.
Old 17-07-2018, 12:23 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samana
"Buddha Nature" does not mean "the Unconditioned". "The Unconditioned" means "enlightenment" /"Nirvana".

"Buddha Nature" means the potential for enlightenment (or a seed of enlightenment) which is present in all living things (including insects).

People are getting so muddled about Buddhism and its terminology here!

If anyone is deeply interested in Buddhism, please make the effort to find a recognised teacher at a Buddhist centre who will give you some study and practice to do according to your personal level of understanding.

May all beings have peace and happiness.

_/|\_

That is your opinion, but some Therevada Buddhists would disagree with you. . Not that it matters really because at the end of the journey the raft is left behind anyway for others.
Old 17-07-2018, 01:05 PM
Master
Quote:
If you had spent some time reading them you will see they are translations from the Pali Canon.

The Pāli Canon is the standard collection of scriptures in the Theravada Buddhist tradition.

I'm not sure if that are the pali canon or if they are scriptural interpretations, or if the quotes you provided are quotes of Gotama Buddha or the words of a later monk, and you didn't provide a link for me to read.
Old 17-07-2018, 10:00 PM
Master
I am really learning a lot from you guys here and interestingly enough, I can see truth from your various viewpoints. This has certainly been a fruitful topic of discussion!

Regarding Buddha Nature, I think this terminology may have in part been adapted and developed through the Buddha's mention of the Luminous Mind:

According to wikipedia, "In the Anguttara Nikaya (A.I.8-10) the Buddha states: 'Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements.' The discourses indicate that the mind's natural radiance can be made manifest by meditation."(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_mind) In addition, "From the idea of the luminous mind emerged the idea that the awakened mind is the pure, undefiled mind. In the tathagatagarbha-sutras it is this pure consciousness that is regarded to be the seed from which Buddhahood grows." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddha-nature)

I perceive that the process of Awakening is realized by becoming Unconditioned thus revealing the inherent primordial Luminous Mind。

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬
Old 18-07-2018, 12:29 AM
Suspended

Quote:
What is ‘the Unconditioned’? It is the goal of the practice, the nibbana element that does not change, that is not subject to birth, aging, or death. It is entirely free from Dukkha (suffering). This Unconditioned is real and can be experienced when the outflowings of the mind are brought to a halt

That's the Pali canon?

It says we have a self, the "unconditioned" and that it does not change. That sure contradicts a lot of other writers of Buddhist philosophy. I would agree "it" does not change but it certainly learns more stuff! It evolves! The "I" the "me" is the same whether in a dog body or a human one.

“I died as mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was human,
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die human,
To soar with angels blessed above.
And when I sacrifice my angel soul
I shall become what no mind ever conceived.
As a human, I will die once more,
Reborn, I will with the angels soar.
And when I let my angel body go,
I shall be more than mortal mind can know.”

― Rumi Jalal ad'Din
Old 18-07-2018, 06:22 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imzadi
I am really learning a lot from you guys here and interestingly enough, I can see truth from your various viewpoints. This has certainly been a fruitful topic of discussion!

Regarding Buddha Nature, I think this terminology may have in part been adapted and developed through the Buddha's mention of the Luminous Mind:

According to wikipedia, "In the Anguttara Nikaya (A.I.8-10) the Buddha states: 'Luminous, monks, is the mind. And it is defiled by incoming defilements.' The discourses indicate that the mind's natural radiance can be made manifest by meditation."(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminous_mind) In addition, "From the idea of the luminous mind emerged the idea that the awakened mind is the pure, undefiled mind. In the tathagatagarbha-sutras it is this pure consciousness that is regarded to be the seed from which Buddhahood grows." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buddha-nature)

I perceive that the process of Awakening is realized by becoming Unconditioned thus revealing the inherent primordial Luminous Mind。

' I perceive that the process of Awakening is realized by becoming Unconditioned thus revealing the inherent primordial Luminous Mind。[/quote] '

Yes..... some will agree with you.

There are millions of Buddhists all over the world, I don't know how many Schools or Sub Schools but it's obvious that different schools will read Suttas/Sutras and interpret them differently, that's part of being human. Some believe in one thing others believe in another and I think Buddha knew this would happen hence the Kalama Sutta ( The Charter of Free Enquiry). All Buddhists believe in the core teachings but there are many deviations along the way because of the amount of Scriptures which have been translated, I have also noticed that different Cultures percieve things differently.
Best to take from Buddhism what make sense to you, incorporate the teachings into your life to make the world a better place for you and others.
Old 18-07-2018, 06:39 AM
Master
Quote:
Best to take from Buddhism what make sense to you, incorporate the teachings into your life to make the world a better place for you and others.

I would agree. The actualization of Pure Consciousness is beyond words and concepts. No matter how well read and powerful we can articulate terminology or recite suttras... sometimes it is in the Silence that reveals what is True. What is also important is how we can apply our Spiritual growth to create peace and joy for the Cosmos.

♬ ♫ ♪ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtnJUS30olE ♪ ♫ ♬