Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Religions & Faiths > Buddhism

Old 28-03-2024, 07:30 AM
Master

Here is a teaching by Shunryu Suzuki which speaks not about Ego or Non Ego but about Big Mind and Small Mind. Perhaps it is relevant here in the light of this discussion or perhaps not.

"When you are practicing meditation, do not try to stop your thinking. Let it stop by itself. If something comes into your mind, let it come in, and let it go out. It will not stay long. When you try to stop your thinking, it means you are bothered by it. Do not be bothered by anything. It appears as if something comes from outside your mind, but actually it is only the waves of your mind, and if you are not bothered by the waves, gradually they will become calmer and calmer.

Many sensations come, many thoughts or images arise, but they are just waves of your own mind. Nothing comes from outside your mind. Usually we think of our mind as receiving impressions and experiences from outside, but that is not a true understanding of our mind. The true understanding is that the mind includes everything; when you think something comes from outside it means only that something appears in your mind. Nothing outside yourself can cause any trouble. You yourself make the waves in your mind. If you leave your mind as it is, it will become calm. This mind is called big mind.

If your mind is related to something outside itself, that mind is a small mind, a limited mind. If your mind is not related to anything else, then there is no dualistic understanding in the activity of your mind. You understand activity as just waves of your mind. Big mind experiences everything within itself. Do you understand the difference between the two minds: the mind which includes everything, and the mind which is related to something? Actually they are the same thing, but the understanding is different, and your attitude towards your life will be different according to the understanding you have. [...]

Actually water always has waves. Waves are the practice of the water. To speak of waves apart from water or water apart from waves is a delusion. Water and waves are one. Big mind and small mind are one. When you understand your mind in this way, you have some security in your feeling. As your mind does not expect anything from outside, it is always filled. A mind with waves in it is not a disturbed mind, but actually an amplified one. Whatever you experience is an expression of big mind. "

-- Shunryu Suzuki

I suppose the thing is about Zen is it offers very little for anyone interested in deducting the truth about descriptions and prescriptions of 'Mindfulness'. The great calculus like working out and great Axiomatic cancelling out of opposites to derive at some conclusion is not going to happen in Zen for example or Buddhist training in general I think. As beautiful and fascinating as Scientific Deduction and Calculus are, (and I am trained in neither), corralling Buddha Nature with our intellectually trained Western Minds and projecting notions of Education upon our own Buddha Nature will not bring any real results. Imo of course. I concede, at the risk of sounding somewhat romantic, this is why Enlightenment belongs equally as much to the peasant in the field as it does to the Courtesan and King. Something to consider I hope, IMO, can you hope in your opinion lol ...not sure !

Just came to mind and just to add, the Vedas etc. would have been available to the Buddha to study and absorb and I'm sure he did study and absorb them but his
story is a pragmatic one isn't it ? Imo of course lol.

__________________________________________________ ____

To Thine own Self be True

The Frost performs its secret ministry,Unhelped by any wind. Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Old 28-03-2024, 07:43 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maisy

Bodhidharma-Third practice, Seeking Nothing.

Yes He was very wise, I often wonder who He was.
With Bodhidharma’s Dharma practice we are seeking to end the problem of seeking; the seeking of Bodhidharma’s Dharma practice is the seeking to end craving.
When one knows they already have what there seeking (Buddha Nature) the craving ends.....
Old 28-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Molearner

For those with no concept , opinion or understanding of the ego it would become apparent that advocates of the ego find it necessary to qualify it……thus they speak of a ‘healthy ego’ which most of us understand as an ego under control. This necessity to control something is a recognition of an inherent opposite qualifier….danger, etc. One can speak of being ‘filled’ with the Spirit and not see any negative connotations…….but to speak of being filled with the ego would raise a multitude of red flags. To speak of the ego in a positive and truthful way requires an attached warning…..be careful of fire……IMO
Old 28-03-2024, 08:05 PM
Master
A Healthy Functioning Ego.

"Searching all directions with one's awareness, one finds no one dearer than oneself. In the same way, others are fiercely dear to themselves. So one should not hurt others if one loves oneself."
The Buddha.
Old 28-03-2024, 09:16 PM
Master

Ego's are scary to me. I want to find a soul mate with no ego. This guy is looking for one too lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZn9QZykx10
Old 28-03-2024, 09:37 PM
Molearner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
"Searching all directions with one's awareness, one finds no one dearer than oneself. In the same way, others are fiercely dear to themselves. So one should not hurt others if one loves oneself."
The Buddha.

“Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends”…Jesus.

Self, ego, is primary to Buddha and love is secondary….that, of course, is a difference between the two. Jesus sees love as primary with no secondary. I would even question whether Buddhists adhere to this. I would be sure that Buddhists have given up their lives for their children and others. When the moment comes one forgets his teachings…..
Old 28-03-2024, 11:49 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unseeking Seeker
In fact, ego depends on thoughts to exist.
True and since we still exist and are aware even when not thinking it means ego is a false self and anyone believing ego is the self is delusional. Living in delusion.
Old 29-03-2024, 06:28 AM
Master
Speak lovingly when speaking of love, my Brother. Peace.

Last edited by Baile : 29-03-2024 at 08:19 AM.
Old 29-03-2024, 06:54 AM
Master
Speaking lovingly always in fact!
Old 29-03-2024, 06:57 AM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molearner

Self, ego, is primary to Buddha and love is secondary….that, of course, is a difference between the two. Jesus sees love as primary with no secondary. I would even question whether Buddhists adhere to this.

Why on a Buddhist Thread do 'some' feel the need to 'pit' Dharma against Christianity.... Mybe it's that Unhealthy ego at play....