Spiritual Forums

Home

Donate!

Articles

CHAT!

Shop

Welcome to Spiritual Forums!.

We created this community for people from all backgrounds to discuss Spiritual, Paranormal, Metaphysical, Philosophical, Supernatural, and Esoteric subjects. From Astral Projection to Zen, all topics are welcome. We hope you enjoy your visits.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to most discussions and articles. By joining our free community you will be able to post messages, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos, and gain access to our Chat Rooms, Registration is fast, simple, and free, so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, check our FAQs before contacting support. Please read our forum rules, since they are enforced by our volunteer staff. This will help you avoid any infractions and issues.

Go Back   Spiritual Forums > Spirituality & Beliefs > Meditation

Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Knower

Need some meditation advice

First off, I have trouble meditating by myself so I usually do it in a group setting.

However, my main problem is just emptying my mind. Usually thoughts come in and so instead of sitting there meditating I'm just sitting there thinking most of the time.

So what I would like to know is how do I empty my mind and not think about the past or the days events or what is troubling me or whatever. I try to let them come and go and I am getting better but I struggle with just getting in the zone so to speak.

So what I would like to know is what are some effective mantras or techniques I can use that will help me meditate better. Sometimes I'll try saying to myself something like "breathing in and breathing out" and pay attention to my breathing but it doesn't seem to last long and before too long my mind starts wondering again. I guess maybe the more I do it the more effective I will be at meditation. I would just like to know what works best for those on here. Thanks.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 PM
Master
Firstly, well done for starting meditation, secondly don`t worry everyone goes through this. the great thing is you have experienced the mind moving and how difficult it is to control it. Knowing this is very important, it shows what is in control at the moment. Don`t worry it can and will be changed.
It can only be done through disciplined meditation.
sit in your meditation posture, with your back straight, tongue to the roof of your mouth. Close your eyes and breathe in and out through the nose. As you breathe focus your mind on your stomach start to watch the rise and fall of the breaths and keep your mind on a point just below the navel. After you breathe in , hold for a second, and after you fully breathe out, hold for a second before breathing in.
You may do all of the above already, now is the part about how to stop the mind moving. Every time your focus leaves the point around the navel, for what ever reason ( a sound, a thought an itch, anything) as soon as you realise its moved, simply, thank yourself for the test (in your mind not out loud), and take the mind straight back to the navel. don`t get angry (that`s just ego ) simply bring it back, dont think about why or consider anything, just bring it back and re focus on the breathing. Keep doing this every time it moves even if it moves 10 times in a minute. Slowly, over a period of time, the mind will move less, and as it starts to stop thinking, you will go deeper.

I often use the analogy of super nanny and her naughty step when explaining this procedure. like an unruly child, when we first try to control the child it gets up and runs off. So super nanny simply returns the child to the naughty step, no shouting no emotion nothing. Every time the child gets up, she takes them back, until eventually, the child calms down and sits there.
This is what your doing with the mind. The great thing is, it doesn`t matter how busy your mind is, when you do this practice, you are meditating from the first moment you start.
good luck
Feel free to PM me if you dont understand anything I have written
Old 10-06-2013, 02:54 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik
First off, I have trouble meditating by myself so I usually do it in a group setting.

However, my main problem is just emptying my mind. Usually thoughts come in and so instead of sitting there meditating I'm just sitting there thinking most of the time.

So what I would like to know is how do I empty my mind and not think about the past or the days events or what is troubling me or whatever. I try to let them come and go and I am getting better but I struggle with just getting in the zone so to speak.

So what I would like to know is what are some effective mantras or techniques I can use that will help me meditate better. Sometimes I'll try saying to myself something like "breathing in and breathing out" and pay attention to my breathing but it doesn't seem to last long and before too long my mind starts wondering again. I guess maybe the more I do it the more effective I will be at meditation. I would just like to know what works best for those on here. Thanks.

I think best not to say anything, just feel the air as it moves in and out, and the mind wanders, but you can easily bring it back again.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Lanzalady

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen

I often use the analogy of super nanny and her naughty step when explaining this procedure. like an unruly child, when we first try to control the child it gets up and runs off. So super nanny simply returns the child to the naughty step, no shouting no emotion nothing. Every time the child gets up, she takes them back, until eventually, the child calms down and sits there.
This is what your doing with the mind. The great thing is, it doesn`t matter how busy your mind is, when you do this practice, you are meditating from the first moment you start.
good luck

Brilliant analogy Petey. I still struggle myself so I'll use this. Thank you

LL
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Master
It's more like cooperation, and the mind is active so give it something to do, like observe breath in this case. The mind is happy because you gave it something to do, and you are happy because the mind does what you ask. The mind will wander off, but no problem, just remind it of what it was supposed to do and it will be happy to do it.
Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM
Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyzen
Firstly, well done for starting meditation, secondly don`t worry everyone goes through this. the great thing is you have experienced the mind moving and how difficult it is to control it. Knowing this is very important, it shows what is in control at the moment. Don`t worry it can and will be changed.
It can only be done through disciplined meditation.
sit in your meditation posture, with your back straight, tongue to the roof of your mouth. Close your eyes and breathe in and out through the nose. As you breathe focus your mind on your stomach start to watch the rise and fall of the breaths and keep your mind on a point just below the navel. After you breathe in , hold for a second, and after you fully breathe out, hold for a second before breathing in.
You may do all of the above already, now is the part about how to stop the mind moving. Every time your focus leaves the point around the navel, for what ever reason ( a sound, a thought an itch, anything) as soon as you realise its moved, simply, thank yourself for the test (in your mind not out loud), and take the mind straight back to the navel. don`t get angry (that`s just ego ) simply bring it back, dont think about why or consider anything, just bring it back and re focus on the breathing. Keep doing this every time it moves even if it moves 10 times in a minute. Slowly, over a period of time, the mind will move less, and as it starts to stop thinking, you will go deeper.

good luck
Feel free to PM me if you dont understand anything I have written

Good advice

I think it's largely a question of attention, hence the advice to focus on your navel, your breathing, etc. I also think it's equally as important to empty your body of tension, as to empty your mind of thought. So be watchful of any tightness that creeps in.

Ultimately, it's a discipline, and discipline requires practice. Your mind is inevitably going to wander, so don't get angry at yourself when it happens, because then you just end up in self-talk ('argh, I can't stop thinking!' - that's a thought, it isn't helping ). Meditate in a conscious way and it'll get easier with time.
Old 20-06-2013, 03:51 AM
tpennington

All of this advise is wonderful to me. I have been trying to begin meditating for the last few days and I too (like Mystik) my mind keeps going other places. I try to focus back and try to visualize a calm blue lake in the mountains but it only holds for a second or two and then it is gone. I will definitely try the navel next time, which will be tonight. Thanks for th great advice.
Old 20-06-2013, 04:29 AM
Juanita

I do best by using a guided meditation CD that is at least an hour long....
Old 20-06-2013, 08:53 AM
Guide

Pulling one's attention out of the mind can definitely be a tricky task, as it anchors one's point of attention by default.

I would say that you are doing well in your present approach. But as you have noticed, the mind can be rather resistant in its attempts to pull your attention back in during a meditation, if you focus on one thing for too long.

For starters, I would advice that you practice finding different things to focus upon during a meditation, like the movement of a tree in the breeze outside, the sound of the air conditioner, the flickering flame of a candle, your heartbeat, or any object that surrounds you.

Another thing I would suggest is to not enforce meditation, as that may do you less good than more. It foremost ought to be a practice for your well-being, so that you feel good about the thought of doing it, and feel just as good or better after doing it. Anything else will not really serve you. Thus, if this is not your experience of the practice, you may want to reconsider the idea of scheduled group meditations, and try to find a way to make it possible for you to practice it on your own, whenever the thought feels like a good idea to you.

When you feel ready to do a meditation session alone, I would recommend listening to the meditations offered by Abraham, from Jerry and Esther Hicks' publication "Getting into the Vortex: Guided Meditations CD and User Manual". You can find these on YouTube by searching for "abraham meditation".

The meditations feature music that is composed in an odd time of 3 bars and 5 bars: 3 bars for breathing in and 5 bars for breathing out. Because of this unusual time, it will be easier for you to distract your attention, while focusing just lightly upon the words that Abraham speak in the background.
Old 21-06-2013, 12:14 AM
Master
Watched this really useful video earlier today, it clears up some misconceptions about meditation and there's a short (but good) guided meditation at the end.